Window Peak via Ventana Canyon Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(327)
Pusch Ridge Wilderness

Window Peak via Ventana Canyon Trail is a 14.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Length14.5 miElevation gain4619 ftRoute typeOut & back
HikingViewsWildflowersWildlifeRockyNo shadeNo dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)

This is a special hike. Stupefyingly challenging both mentally a physically, but you’re rewarded with great views and everything is so green and lush. You may want to wear long sleeves and long pants because of the fauna and temperatures, and to bring plenty of water.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (328)
Photos (867)
Recordings (336)
Completed (701)
Kelly Slawson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 13, 2021
View Kelly's Recording
Diane Stuart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 8, 2021
View Diane's Recording
Gina Ellefson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 1, 2021
View Gina's Recording
Zach Griffin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 28, 2020
HikingOver grown

I agree with many of the other comments about this hike - absolutely wonderful. This is a tough one. Not so much because of the climb as I found the incline not too bad, but this is a long one. My Fitbit mileage had it closer to 16 miles round trip. The Window is spectacular with beautiful views. The trail is tough to follow but I loved having the cairns. I built up a few and created a few more - they are the saviors of this hike. I like that it’s not perfectly kept up and not easy - makes it a hidden gem for those wanting a multi-faceted challenge.

Theresa Vadnais
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 27, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great trail easy to maneuver- unfortunately no dogs allowed. Heavy traffic, most everyone wearing masks (except me).

Keith Porter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 25, 2020
Hiking

This is a beautiful hike. The 1st miles is just okay, following a trail that borders two sides of private property. Then once you're at the base of the mountain, it gets magical. The rugged terrain is absolutely beautiful. When they say this is a hard hike, they are not kidding. It is physically demanding. I would recommend getting an early start if you plan on going all the way up. I didn't get as early of a start that I was hoping for and we ended up only getting 4 miles up and back for a total of 8 miles. Important to note: It is easy to get off the trail on this one. Because of the fires, it becomes even more challenging at times. I highly recommend downloading the map and frequently verifying you're on track.

Ashley Scott
Hiking

Stunning views, challenging hike, poor footing, confusing trail in bad repair. I’m glad we did it, but it was also very dangerous, so I’m unsure if I would choose to do this one again unless the damage from the fire got repaired. Seconding other posts about how aggressive the flora is and how grateful I was for the cairns. Also, we did the scramble to the top after the window. Wouldn’t recommend. There isn’t a panoramic view there unless you’re a very bold and accomplished boulderer (we aren’t climbers, so it just gave us a marginally better view after a lot of effort on some very sketchy “trails”)

Brian Potts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 15, 2020
Hiking

1) Trailhead is easy to get to. No bathrooms, but there is a trashcan if you want to finally clean out all those receipts and empty bottles you’ve been hoarding in your car. 2) What an utter slapper of a hike. I recorded 14.5 miles on this and followed the route to the peak astutely, so what’s being advertised on AllTrails is undeniably lower (will suggest an edit to the AllTrails team). 3) An offline map went a long ways for this one, and if you summit I suggest you have one as well. It’s doable without however. Someone very thoughtfully (and surprisingly) placed decent cairns throughout almost the entirety of the trail. Keep a close eye for them if you start to sense you’re losing the trail, which will inevitably happen because there’s a ton of overgrowth from recent rainfall as well as new vegetation from the fire ash. I also had good AT&T service for most of the hike. 4) It should be mandatory to wear pants and a long sleeve shirt. I can’t even keep count of the amount of times I was stabbed by some form of desert plant with spikes. I never took it personally though, I think of it as a sort of spikey desert high-five the plants are giving me. I digress—cover up, you won’t regret it. It also gets cold as hell as you near the summit. 5) This was a special hike. Stupefyingly challenging both mentally a physically, but you’re rewarded with great views and everything is so green and lush. I saw 1 person the entire 14.5 miles and greatly appreciated the solitude. Lastly, take a minimum of 3 liters of water. Enjoy and be safe everyone.

Comment from AllTrails

- 30 days ago

Thanks for your feedback. This trail has been reviewed and updated to reflect the comments in this review. For additional questions please email support@alltrails.com

Paul Richardson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 27, 2020
HikingOver grown
View Paul's Recording
Jessah Hunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 15, 2020
Hiking

Didn’t travel the whole of the hike but definitely fun!! Some damage from the fire but nothing too bad

View Jessah's Recording
Dan Quinn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 12, 2020
View Dan's Recording
JuIian Rubalcaba
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 8, 2020
View JuIian's Recording
Ryan Whiteside
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2020
HikingBlowdownOver grown

Overgrown with defensive plants and becomes hard to find past first ridge high point, about 1.25 miles in. Apparently this may be due to first plants sprouting from fire.

Brandon Gremillion
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

This is one of my favorites. Bring lots of water and filtration if a spring is flowing. Add a Mt Kimball lunch summit, then onto the Window. I camped near the peak to enjoy the great views of Tucson to the south and the great wide open to the north.

Laura Gronewold
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 19, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Great hike, even in late spring/early summer in the morning as there is intermittent shade along the way. Would like to try to make it 2.4 miles in to the pools next spring.

View Laura's Recording
Claudia Zimmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2020
View Claudia's Recording
Jennifer Milam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 25, 2020
View Jennifer's Recording
Peyton Reavis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
View Peyton's Recording
Tyler Lefever
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 17, 2020

Amazing hike, so beautiful. Went all the the way, my legs have never been this dead. I'm glad I started at 8am, it would have been brutal hot.

Elizabeth Osuna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 3, 2020
View Elizabeth's Recording
Mindy King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 31, 2020
HikingOver grownRocky

Beautiful weather and tons of wildflowers, what more do you need? This hike has some challenging elevation gain with some steep sections. I wish I hadn't forgotten my trekking poles, they would have been helpful esp. on the way down the steep, rocky sections. My legs may have felt like jelly, but the view at the Window is worth it! This hike is better in the cooler months, some sections are exposed and it can get hot even in the mid 70s. So sun protection is important as well as enough water. I would suggeat at least 3L if you're headed to the top. There were lots of water crossings, but all were manageable to keep dry shoes. On a sidenote, It's really frustrating that my recording is basically worthless. I'm not sure why AllTrails was bugging out, I haven't had it error like this in over a year.

View Mindy's Recording
Jose Hinojos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2020
Hiking

Shortest hike!! Rain made us turn around.. will try again !!

View Jose 's Recording
Anders Irland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 23, 2020
Hiking

Lots of water and wildflowers this morning. Gorgeous!

View Anders's Recording
Ed Henry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2020
HikingSnow

Great trail, a must do, I did it on March 21 and there was still some snow at the window, even though it was 75 at the parking lot. Took me and a friend 9 hours including a break at the window.

Marinella Sene
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 7, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I have to say that this is one amazing trail. Lots of varieties. I did not make all the way to the window bc running short on daylight and water. However, i was very, very close. lots of running water still. I saw at least three really nice waterfalls. in certain sections I was quite disturbed by mosquitos. Glad I had a bandana. I would certainly do this again. Stop less and make it to the end. O by the way, towards the final miles no one but you on this trail.