Learn more

Window Peak via Ventana Canyon Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(298)
Pusch Ridge Wilderness

Window Peak via Ventana Canyon Trail [CLOSED] is a 12.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Length 12.4 mi Elevation gain 4,475 ft Route type Out & Back
Hiking Views Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky Closed No shade No dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)

Closed due to fire until Nov 1, 2020: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/6741/52546/

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (298)
Photos (652)
Recordings (306)
Completed (622)
Brandon Gremillion
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

This is one of my favorites. Bring lots of water and filtration if a spring is flowing. Add a Mt Kimball lunch summit, then onto the Window. I camped near the peak to enjoy the great views of Tucson to the south and the great wide open to the north.

Laura Gronewold
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 19, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Great hike, even in late spring/early summer in the morning as there is intermittent shade along the way. Would like to try to make it 2.4 miles in to the pools next spring.

View Laura's Recording
Claudia Zimmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2020
View Claudia's Recording
Peyton Reavis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
View Peyton's Recording
Tyler Lefever
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 17, 2020

Amazing hike, so beautiful. Went all the the way, my legs have never been this dead. I'm glad I started at 8am, it would have been brutal hot.

Elizabeth Osuna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 3, 2020
View Elizabeth's Recording
Mindy King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 31, 2020
HikingOver grownRocky

Beautiful weather and tons of wildflowers, what more do you need? This hike has some challenging elevation gain with some steep sections. I wish I hadn't forgotten my trekking poles, they would have been helpful esp. on the way down the steep, rocky sections. My legs may have felt like jelly, but the view at the Window is worth it! This hike is better in the cooler months, some sections are exposed and it can get hot even in the mid 70s. So sun protection is important as well as enough water. I would suggeat at least 3L if you're headed to the top. There were lots of water crossings, but all were manageable to keep dry shoes. On a sidenote, It's really frustrating that my recording is basically worthless. I'm not sure why AllTrails was bugging out, I haven't had it error like this in over a year.

View Mindy's Recording
Jose Hinojos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2020
Hiking

Shortest hike!! Rain made us turn around.. will try again !!

View Jose 's Recording
Anders Irland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 23, 2020
Hiking

Lots of water and wildflowers this morning. Gorgeous!

View Anders's Recording
Ed Henry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2020
HikingSnow

Great trail, a must do, I did it on March 21 and there was still some snow at the window, even though it was 75 at the parking lot. Took me and a friend 9 hours including a break at the window.

Marinella Sene
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 7, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I have to say that this is one amazing trail. Lots of varieties. I did not make all the way to the window bc running short on daylight and water. However, i was very, very close. lots of running water still. I saw at least three really nice waterfalls. in certain sections I was quite disturbed by mosquitos. Glad I had a bandana. I would certainly do this again. Stop less and make it to the end. O by the way, towards the final miles no one but you on this trail.

Kd Kd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 27, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky
View Kd's Recording
Conor Graves
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 15, 2020

View Conor's Recording
Rebecca Tracey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 10, 2020
Hiking

Made it to Window Peak today (the peak, past the window!). Highly recommend going to the peak. We were a little underwhelmed with the window (ok it was a cool arch, but not a high point and not an amazing view through it. Not to sound snobby!! The hike up was gorgeous But I live in Toronto and don’t have a lot of chances to hike to the top of mountains! So I take every one I can get !) So we kept going. We had read that the peak was not worth going to and that it was a sketchy scramble. I highly disagree! It was definitely a bit of a bushwhack to get to the scramble through an overgrown trail, but all the cairns were there if you look closely enough. You have to be ok with a bit of 3rd class scramble and route finding, as the “summit” is actually the top of a narrow rock pillar! There are two pillars there, and It wasn’t obvious which one was the actual “peak” so we chose the one that looked like it would have the best view You’ll be rewarded with lots of exposure, sweeping views, and guaranteed you’ll be the only one up there It was helpful to have the map open on Gaia app to see the general direction of the peak (the trail on the map goes around it, not right to it), and we also used the written instructions on the photo below which helped us get a sense of whether we were going in the general right direction. Drop your poles at the scramble as you’ll be doing some gentle rock climbing and will need your hands. Stats: - 21km round trip -4400ft elevation gain - 9hours (2 hours stopped time plus some looking around for the summit... plus me being really slow on the way down due to granny knees!). The benefits of taking a long time - you get a sunset hike out! Overall the trail to the window was great! Not as steep as I expected and had surprisingly a lot of flat parts (I expected an uphill slog the whole time!). It would be a little steep, then level out, then go down into a wash, then a little up again — it was lovely and varied, a nice surprise and a beautiful canyon!

Felicia Menten
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 26, 2020
Hiking

Yep, it is definitely difficult. Didn't go quite all the way to Window peak, but saw the famous window from the trail. Turned around at 5.5 miles, felt like half a unit to me. Trail is a tad confusing at the creek crossings, and is kind of overgrown. I was glad to have my arms and legs covered. Drank almost all of my 3.5 liters of water in the 5 hours I was out. Wouldn't want to do this one in much warmer weather.

Karyn Kelley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 1, 2019
HikingIcyMuddyRockySnow

Great hike. Fair amount of snow and ice once you take the turn to hike towards the window. Certainly a challenge AND rewarding hike!

View Karyn's Recording
Will Kauffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 10, 2019
HikingRocky

awesome trail. last 2.5 gets pretty difficult up and down. Window Rock was cool. I would recommend at least 6 pints of water. I left with my camal back full of 4 pints and had two extra and I was out of water the last mile when I returned. also it was more like 14.5 miles there and back, this is probably because the trail officially started about 1 mile after parking lot

View Will's Recording
Trish Fowler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 25, 2019
HikingBugsOver grownRocky
View Trish's Recording
K M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 24, 2019
BugsRocky