Wind Cave Trail

Wind Cave Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 797 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

cave

fee

For hikers who wish to be challenged, the trail doesn't end at the Wind Cave. There is a loop left of the cave exit or continue past the cave at the main entrance. Scrambling is involved regardless of which route you take. $7.00 to enter park.

Beautiful trail, thoroughly enjoyed it! Beware the bees in the cave though!

this was a great hike. We hiked it with our dog and 3 boys. 2,4 and 7. Our 2 year old was in a backpack. As the AZ weather cools we usually hike 2-3 times a month with the kids. So for our 4 year old it was difficult in some areas but he did the whole thing himself. There are some areas where the terrain is larger boulders and you will want your hands free to make the large steps up. Overall great. Definately in October go as early in the morning as possible because it was quite hot coming down. We started at 8:30 and were back in the car by 11:30 after spending about 30 minutes at the top.

I love this trail and hike it a few times every month. You can make it a quick, intense workout or take it at a more leisurely pace. The trail is well maintained, there is minimal litter, and the terrain is varied so it’s not boring. The stretch with the boulders is my favorite part. The only recurring problem I encounter on this hike is that there are usually a lot of dogs not on leashes. I’m not anti-dog (I have three), but having strange dogs running up on you lessens the experience.

I walked to the TH from the campground and glad I did. It was early Saturday and the trail and parking were busy. But I expected this. The trail and views were beautiful. Hikers were friendly. It’s a popular hike for people and their dogs. Kudos to all the dog owners, there were ZERO poop bags or dog poop!

77 degrees on my car. Still to warm for this trail for me. Although there had to be 75 cars when I arrived. The trail is a challenge for this old man. Several shady spots along the trail in the morning. Got to pet about 75 dogs. I would not recommend Saturday’s. Lots of families with kids starting as young as 6. It was fun but I would probably not do it again, unless someone wanted to go and asked me to go with them. Everyone I met was very polite. That’s encouraging!!

I'll hike this trail a couple times a week. Great short hike to do after work.

I found this trail to be a little tough (I am not an experienced hiker). Unfortunately I didn’t have breakfast before I hiked this trail so I experienced a little dizziness halfway up ~ make sure you have eaten & bring some snacks & water with you ~ otherwise it was a great hike & gorgeous view at the top.

Such a great trail - highly trafficked after 7:30am but all hikers are courteous and friendly! Beautiful views!

fee

quite rough terrain in a few places, but clearly marked almost everywhere. lots of elevation change, fun short hike for a nice sunset view, and short enough to make it down before total dark.

Good trail it’s a heavily traveled lots beautiful views of the city tons of squirrels.

Nice short hike with a view at the end. Lots of lizards!

fee

Great beginner trail. Not as hard as I expected for moderate. Well maintained. Next to shooting range, families and pets.

I actually really enjoyed this trail. There's a bit of low grade scrambling and it's a nice constant ascent so you can get a bit of a workout. The pow pow pow of gunfire is a constant and it's crowded but you shouldn't expect a tranquil wilderness experience so close to Suburban Hell.

fee

great hike. incline the whole way. just be ready for some bees when you get to cave. they didn't bother.

Great moderately difficult introductory trail into East Valley hiking.

Great introductory trail into moderate hiking in the East Valley