Wind Cave Trail

Wind Cave Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

For hikers who wish to be challenged, the trail doesn't end at the Wind Cave. There is a loop left exit of the cave, or by continuing past the cave at the main "entrance." There is scrambling involved regardless of which route you take. $7.00 to enter park.

It was a beautiful hike at sunset. For my second hike it was a challenge (heights/rocky) that I was happy to accomplish.

about 3/4 up, the trail requires climbing up rocks, which is difficult for me (age 77). also my issues with height started be challenging here. These things don't bother most hikers though, and it's a rewarding trip.

Always a Great Hike on Wind Cave! Hiked with friend Stephanie for a Sunset Hike. Beautiful!!! 1-11-19

Good solid hike with some scrambling. More climbing than anticipated.

This is one trail that we like to hike each year. It is beautiful and not challenging at the beginning, but as you start winding up Pass Mountain the elevation and grade becomes more strenuous. If you have knee issues you must remember that coming down is tougher than going up! It is a great geology tour and we have been rewarded several times coming down in the evening with coyotes barking from down below.

At the end I felt tired. I have done it multiple times. I recommend it to kids near my age. (Owen -7 yrs. old, beginner hiker).

I love this trail!!! A little work out for me but very doable!!!

Very good trail. It’s $7 to get into the park, but if you get a seasonal pass (lasts 12 months) you pay $80 to go as many times as you want in those 12 months. I hike this trail all the time for exercise and I love it. 10/10 would recommend to all levels of fitness

Short very nice hike! Even for Seventy year olds!

Very easy and fun trail! Great views from the top!

Good hike up for a good view! Great park area as well.

My 12 year old daughter and I loved this trail today. I tracked it 3.2 miles out and back to the cave. The views, rocks formations, and cave payoff made this an excellent starters trail. Keeping her interested and looking forward to the payoff are top priority on our hikes. This one nailed it.

Busy trail, lots of dogs, but not enough to make it unenjoyable. Parking can be hard in the cooler months unless you go quite early or during off peak times.

Great hike went early to bear the crowd!

Completed this today. Fairly easy hike up with 3 kids. Views were amazing. Lots of friendly people on the trail. Just be mindful of the bees. Great hike!

Was a good warm trail for me after being away from hiking for a while. Some great scenic views and decent elevation changes it was a hike I really enjoyed. We went about 6:30am on Sunday morning and practically had the trail to ourselves. It wasn’t til about 8am the trail started get crowded.

If you’re looking for a fun pretty easy to do hike that’s not super long this is it.

It was a beautiful hike to the cave. The trail had a lot of rocks and unfortunately there is a gun range that makes the hike not too peaceful but overall a very nice hike. It is heavily used by joggers so you have to stop and let them go by fairly often.

Went with one of the pups. One of the busiest trails I’ve ever been on. I knew it would be busy coming in but it’s still slightly annoying to keep having to stop behind slower hikers and pull to the side to let people going the other way pass. Glad it was a super short hike. The wave cave isn’t really a cave, more of an interesting geological formation. Ok getaway for a couple hours.

Very nice trail, only moderate in a section or two, go before sunset, breathtaking views!

Great hike my wife and I did. First hike in Arizona. Was tough at the end but worth it. 2 hours total.

Beautiful hike! Well traveled but well maintained.

Made this hike 12/23 with my 9 year old son and 8 year old daughter without issues. The hike was enjoyable and clocked in at about 5 miles total up to the cave and back down. The hike was fairly easy with only a few challenging steps here and there. We saw plenty of folks who didnt look to be in shape heading up the hill, so dont be afraid to give this a try. If the elevation gets to be too much, you can just turn back, the downhill is much easier with just a bit of loose gravel in places. There are plenty of people on the trail at all times, so dont worry about getting lost or losing your way. $7 per carload, so pack your peeps in the trunk!

Really enjoyed this hike with my two kids (20 and 13). It was a challenge for us but worth the effort! Best to do when it’s not hot out as the bottom 2/3 of the trail is not shaded later in the day :)

Good easy hike! Lots of uphill hiking! I’d highly recommend trekking poles! Lovely views at the top!

Nice

it starts off great but after the halfway point, it meant climbing up rocks. going up is doable but it's very hard for me to descent over them.

the trail isnt very well marked so pay attention. however it was beautiful and we had a wouderful day hiking, and hanging out in the cave.

Kids enjoyed this one also! Took the boys past the cave.

There’s not a cave at the top. Don’t feel it even warrants the name Wind Cave Trail because it’s more of a spot where the upper part of the mountain overhangs the lower part; kind of an indent in the mountain. However, great view from up there. Really well maintained trail and a good short hike. Took me, up and back about 2 hours, but I was taking my time and enjoying the views. Not a difficult hike, there’s a moderate incline. You do have to pay a park fee to do this hike, which is $7 per car. So because of the fee and the fact that there’s not a cave at the top, I give this one a 3 star. Other than that, it’s a nice scenic hike with a great view of the Phoenix area from the top.

A nice moderate hike up to a cave. Last time I did this hike there were bees all over the cave. None this time though, probably too cold.