Wind Cave Trail

Wind Cave Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

For hikers who wish to be challenged, the trail doesn't end at the Wind Cave. There is a loop left exit of the cave, or by continuing past the cave at the main "entrance." There is scrambling involved regardless of which route you take. $7.00 to enter park.

Great Morning Hike! We beat the heat :) Good Times!!!

Amazing!!! Beautiful views and clean bathrooms!

If you like rock scrambling, continue on past the wind cave! Very fun but definitely some climbing

Hiked to the cave on April 30 2018 beautiful morning nice trail

The wind cave itself was an interesting feature but if you want to make the most of this hike then go past the cave and up to the summit. It does not take much longer and the views were amazing!! I don’t know why other people don’t do this.

There is nothing moderate about this hike. Lots of people all the time. It seems people stay here overnight. If you want to enjoy this hike, go there at night in the Summer. Otherwise early morning.If you do not stop to rest or drink water this is a great workout.

Easy up and back. Sadly, not worth the $7 entry fee. We were super excited about this hike, but were slightly disappointed once we reached the “cave”. Left much to be desired ...

Great hike. Was a little unclear where the trail was in places/where the trail actually ended...? But besides that was great trail with awesome views! Would recommend for people of all skill levels (the end is a bit tough for all levels but could just stop before the end).

Outstanding trail

Great trail for a nice quick hike. It does get a little tricky once you go passed the maintained trails though so proceed with caution.

Was such a great hike!! We got hiking a bit late (close to 9am) so it got pretty hot, but was a very enjoyable hike. There was even a rattlesnake up at the top and we got to witness a squirrel-rattlesnake stand-off.. pretty cool! the squirrel won XD All around a really great hike!

Started late today around 10am with temperatures in the 90ies. Went past the Wind Cave and up to the South Peak.
Used a liter of water and ran out on the way down. Took me 1.5 hours for the round trip with only a short break at the top. I'd recommend going earlier or when it's cooler, but still a nice hike!

Really challenging trail. Start early in the morning. I am 69 years old with pacemaker. Took me 1 1/2 hours up. As I got higher up, I noticed, in quite a number of spots, that the trail is not marked and there are little feeders. So, I had to guess which ones were the trail. The scenery of the valley is incredible! Going down was much easier because I could see the trail beneath me. Several areas there are rocks to climb over. Take plenty of water and a fruit or snack. I loved it and plan to go again.

Great trail. Last two thirds up required me to pay attention. Was in the 80’s around 8:00 in the morning and hiking wad comfortable, later in the day would have been more than a challenge.

Trail gets pretty crowded on cool weekends. But it is a beautiful easy/moderate hike with a great view at the top. If you time it correctly (top of the hour from 9am to 9pm) you can see the fountain from Fountain Hills when you look north from the cave. Next to no shade on the trail during the day but nice and cool at the top.

this is easy and takes about 3 hours tops. Good for kids and pets. Pretty busy and cost is now 9 bucks

This is a great short hike. The rocky path keeps you on your toes with foot placement but never are you just climbing on just rocks.yhe view at the end is wonderful. I recommend starting by at least 8am for best conditions.

Far away from me, but great hike. Up to you how difficult you wanna make it. Wanna go fast?? Pretty easy first half way up, then you start noticing how difficult the elevation makes it. Take your time the first time up to get an idea how goes.

very nice hike. Very crowded, and some loose footing. also lots of bees at the cave. if you're allergic bring your meds. absolutely amazing views

Stunning short walk to see the sun set. Steep at times. Moderate is the right rating.

Easy hike with well developed trails and can’t get lost even if you tried. Beautiful scenery all along the way

Great early morning hike. For someone who is used to the Appalachian Mtns I was not quite sure what to expect. I hit the trail just before first light around 5:45am and I was off by 7am. Really glad to have experienced some AZ hiking.

Nice hike...lots of people...good workout! The cave is more of an indentation in the rock, but the chipmunk entertainment is a fun addition!

Really nice hike but a very busy trail.

Great hike. Took our boys 9 and 11 and they loved it. It can get a little congested in areas but everyone was nice and respectful along the way. The squirrels at the top were a nice surprise. We will definitely do it again.

Great hike! Went around 1000 and managed to avoid the pre-lunch crowd. Not really a cave, but great views and a nice challenge. You'll definitely feel the burn!

My wife and I heard about this hike and decided to try it. We were pleasantly surprised by the trail which was varied and interesting. There were lots of people hiking when we were there, but it didn't feel overcrowded. The "cave" is more like an indentation opposed to a traditional cave. All in all it was is a good time and we will do it again. I would say it is a moderate hike.

I enjoyed this trail very much but it is not moderate, in my opinion. This is borderline "hard". Rocky and steep. Definitely not a good idea to take small children. It was right at 4 miles total out and back. Took appropriately 2 hours. Visited on a Sunday mid-morning. Quite busy but everyone was very courteous.

Hike this trail 2-3 times a week. Great trail for work out. Early morning is best time to go