Wilson Mountain Trail

Wilson Mountain Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wilson Mountain is 7,122 feet tall and named after Richard Wilson. Richard Wilson was a bear hunter who was killed by a grizzly in 1885. His body was found in Wilson Canyon, which is also named after him. This is the tallest mountain around Sedona, Arizona. The trail to the summit leads to an absolute killer-view of Sedona and far beyond, of Oak Creek, and even of the San Fransisco Peaks. The hike has two parts: Part 1 goes up to the First Bench. This can be done from Midgely Bridge (most exposed, but most scenic) and from Encinoso Picknick Area., also called North Trail. Part 2 goes from 1 bench to the Sedona Lookout. If you start out late, or loose your wind, only going up to 1st bench is well worth the effort. But the Sedona Lookout is unsurpassed, as you can see! A stunning, vertical drop of several hundred feet straight down, looking right into the famed red-rock stone sculptings of Sedona. Absolutely amazing. Although hot and at least moderately strenuous, well worth the time.

great views, very lightly trafficked.

Great hike! On Sunday, May 21, 2017, I hit the trail head at about 7AM and got down from the mountain at about 1. Plenty of stops for water and pictures/videos. I did both the Sedona overlook and Boyton overlook - great views on both ends!

Out of all the trails I've done in Arizona this one might be my favorite. On Saturday, May 27 I left the south trailhead at 5:00 PM. I made it to the south rim just before 7:30. I was pretty tired but I was hiking at a pretty fast rate, in an attempt to get my camp set up before sundown. This trail is a little more challenging than I expected, but if you are prepared with enough water and snacks you will be just fine. The views from the top are fantastic and absolutely worth it. Especially if you camp because you get to see the light from both the sunset and sunrise reflecting off the rocks overlooking Sedona. Absolutely beautiful.

At around 7:00 AM I was hiking from the south rim to the north rim, and halfway there I spotted a black bear probably 100 yards to the west of the trail. It never hurts to be prepared in case of an encounter!

This is an excellent hike. NOTE: this review is for the southern route that leaves from the small parking area by Midgley Bridge, not the northern route from Slide Rock Park. Parking is limited here so get there early! The trail is easy to follow and has beautiful views the entire way. So many wildflowers right now! Keep your eye out for a hidden junction sign where the trail diverges into 2 seperate paths; the one to the right heads 1.7 miles further to a canyon view, the one to the left heads 0.5 miles further to the Sedona view. The Sedona view is much better. This is an exposed route so bring plenty of water. Surprisingly uncrowded for a beautiful Saturday.

After turning back from Huckaby due to the streams, I went the other way on Wilson Mountain Trail. Beautiful! It takes you up along the canyon rim with gorgeous views! The trailhead split at one point to the Wilson Canyon trail, so I decided to go down and see what it looks like. Complete change of scenery that follows a bubbling creek. Very fun. Lots of hummingbirds and butterflies. Then caught the Jim Thompson Trail to go up the other side of canyon- again, great views. You will be going up and down on this and the path in some points is loose, rough rocks. But overall, a surprising fun hike!

Lovely hike. Lazy switch backs going up hill for about 6 miles. Tons of desert plant life right off the trail and a beautiful canyon view at the end. We saw tons of a birds and a small family or deer. Our first hike in the Sedona, Arizona area.

Parking was limited at the trailhead but people were leaving often so if you wait a few minutes you should be able to find one. You do have to pay $5 for the day pass to park. Pretty steady climb up and mostly exposed but the trail was easy to follow for the most part. I made the mistake of missing the sign right near the end that sent me over a mile to the north end. I believe this is 1st bench. There is a sign, that was pretty hidden, that said go left for uptown Sedona view or right for north canyon view. I didn't even see the sign or notice the trail split off and I headed towards the north canyon view. Over a mile walk and completely flat through burned down trees and open wilderness. Easy walk and it brings you to the side of a cliff facing north. You do get a good shot of Humphreys from here. I thought this was the end and headed back only to realize my mistake and went the extra 1/2 mile to the uptown Sedona view. Much better view and better hike.

If you're looking to explore more you could head the extra mile to the north canyon view but you're not missing much. You get similar views from the hike up. Keep a lookout for the sign so you don't make the same mistake I, and a few others I passed on the way back, did. There is a lot of flat and open land this route if you're looking to backpack.

Great views! Trail is generally better than North Wilson but longer and exposed. Take plenary of water and sunscreen.

Great trail with stunning views and diverse climate zones - all within a 2700 (+) ft ascent/descent. Bring plenty of water !