Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Willow Springs Loop

Willow Springs Loop is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I got lost. Trails are clear but there are so many that you don’t know where you’re going.

It was a nice hike, not too scenic though. The trails app took us through a body of water so we had to double back and follow a parallel trail until they diverged away from each other.

Such varied, colorful views on this loop! Just enough up and down to keep my legs exercised. Beautiful lime green lichen against the smooth white worn sulfur-ish parts of the trail contrast jagged canyon views. Keep your AllTrails map handy because biking/ATV trails cross this Willow Loop, and a few pools briefly re-routed us at the far end of the loop. See my recording for some stunning views in the neighboring Canyon if you want to add an extra mile or so on another clearly marked (unnamed?) offshoot foot trail. Incidentally, I’m no botanist, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t see a single Willow on this trail.

The only thing “Easy” about this hike is how easy it is to get off the trail! I would categorize this hike as Moderate and would never suggest this hike for someone new to hiking or someone with an injury. The hike is beautiful, with lots of wildflowers; and it’s lightly trafficked, which is a wonderful bonus. My dogs loved the Springs! However, the trail is not marked and we often went off trail. The 4.3 mile hike turned into 8.6 miles, due to a ton of backtracking; not a good recipe with 3 dogs.... and cholla. I’d like to try it again to master the trail as it was a great hike, just without dogs until I have it down myself.

The location should read Apache Junction or Tortilla Flat because the trailhead is miles away from Usery Mountain Regional Park. This is a relatively easy trail with enough varied terrain, landscape and scenery to make it interesting. Hiker don't be put off by the tire marks at the beginning. Virtually the entire trail is not for motorized vehicles. The area dry creek beds are popular with ATV's and there are some off road trails. The trail is well worn making it easy to follow. There are some offshoots that can be confusing. Occasional cairns let you know you're still on the trail. We took the advice of previous reviews and went the clockwise direction at the loop. Remember the prominent rock formation near the trailhead. It's easy to get confused in the dry creek beds and ATV trails. The pinnacle rock formation is a good reference point at the end of the hike.

This is not an easy trail. A lot of climbing up hills and mountains.

This trail has beautiful scenery, so I plan to return. With that being said, this trail was not marked at all and we got lost several times. Next time I plan to go counterclockwise at the start of the loop where I think the trail will be easier to follow and to get the hardest part out of the way.

Trail starts at mile 204 on Apache Trail Hwy 88 north of Apache Junction. The trail sign says this is Bulldog Canyon which it eventually runs into by Usury Mountain. This part is a very easy walk along a well marked trail. The rocks have beautiful color.

recorded Willow Springs