Wild Burro Trail

easy 154 reviews

Wild Burro Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Peoria, Arizona that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 232 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

This is a nice easy walk. Some rock but not a lot. Beautiful views of the lake. A few gnats but not bad. You do have to pay the $7 park fee if you don’t have the yearly pass.

Nice trail to follow. Plenty of burro sign but we saw no animals.

Other people saw Burroughs but we saw none we heard some though

fee

It’s a nice hike! Don’t get me wrong. Very clean and well marked and just difficult enough to get the heart rate up a little. But it is a little anticlimactic as the best views are towards the middle and probably not worth the entry fee into the park unless connecting with other trails. If you go the whole length of the trail it’s actually closer to 4 miles. Didn’t see any burros but saw plenty of signs of them such as droppings and prints. I recommend either starting far south and connecting with Pipeline, or if you just want to do the Burro Trail, start at the north where Pipeline is (trailhead is over the by the water shed thing) and then turning back when you come to the restrooms and parking lot by the lake. For hiking and travel content, visit me over @awolfinthewilderness on IG

A few really easy spots, but some loose stones which could be precarious for older ones or those who are not as sure footed. Burros everywhere! Also saw a tiny tarantula. The water is beautiful and a really enjoyable short hike.

Easy, nice trail with burrow sitings and lake view. Good bike path that connects to a really nice moderate trail, Pipeline Canyon.

fee

Nice trail, but a bit rocky for my 62 year old liking. Watched my feet alot rather then the scenery. Saw burros on the way out and back in. A nice little burro family with a couple of kids.

Nice and easy hike. Saw the burros. See my pics.

Nice easy hike with some uphill parts and rocky areas but overall good for most everyone. No burro sightings here but did see some on nearby Pipeline Canyon Trail, just past the floating bridge.

fee

at night a few hard parts to discern but good for kids and dogs for sure.

This was a nice easier trail with great views! We saw a small rattlesnake and a bunch of burros!

Nice little hike. Saw lots of wild donkeys (burro).

Nice little hike.

short but fun!

Hiked this trail today with 3 kids, ages 11-16. Fairly easy hike that leads you to trail along the water. Spring flowers were in full bloom and we saw at least a dozen burro! We didn’t do the whole trail but did stop half way for lunch on the rocks.

Fun and beautiful hike. The only downside is much of the trail is near the road. We saw and heard burros, lots of wildflowers, ducks and a soaring bird.

Easy trail. Good for trail running. Seen 4 donkeys across the water, very adorable. Good trail for dogs.

Fun, easy trail. Saw Burros, birds and butterflies.

Mon Feb 11 2019

Really lovely trail. Easy with some minor ups and downs. Restrooms at both ends. Parking so easy time of year! Saw a few wild Burros on the hillside. So cute! Recommend this trail.

Sun Jan 27 2019

This is a very scienc trail. We left a vehicle at Cottonwood And started on Maricopa trail. Very few people on it and will do again. Lots of flowers and observed a huge wild donkey herd.

Sun Jan 20 2019

Easy trail. I use this trail for photography, some pretty sweet views. I have yet to see a wild burro on this trail and I've hiked it a lot. Now on the Yavapai Point trail we see wild burro often.

Wed Jan 02 2019

Great hike today with great views of the lake. Most was downhill the first half and was great to be able to rest at the half war point with picnic tables and bathrooms. I’d recommend bringing a sack lunch and really taking your time. The trail is very rocky mist of the way so hiking boots are best. Lots of great photo ops and an awesome workout especially the second half of the trail. We went 4 miles because the wind was really picking up and only 40 degrees today, but so worth it!

Tue Dec 11 2018

Nice hike for family. Easy, not moderate. Rec. starting at south end, then it's uphill first and downhill coming back. Either way, nice short hike.

Sat Oct 13 2018

Great trail for the kids! Must of saw 20+ wild Burros and a gnarly tarantula.