Wild Burro Spur Trail Loop

Wild Burro Spur Trail Loop is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Marana, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,204 feet Route Type: Loop

3rd day and more than half way back, rear tire ran flat and I recall old dried up cholla I tried to dodge at last minute that might of punctured it. had ear phones in could of sworn I heard a pop so had to walk it back, not far tho

As usual, I think the rating underestimates the difficulty. But it was worth the effort. Gorgeous views, wildflowers, lots of boulder hopping.

I thought this trail might be less crowded than trails closer to Tucson, such as the Sabino Canyon trails. I hiked this trail on a Saturday and it wasn't too crowded. I was able to feel mostly alone, though I did pass enough parties to not feel isolated. Some reviews suggest going clockwise. I suggest the opposite, if you have old knees like I do. Take the Alamo Spring Trail up. This part is insanely gorgeous. It almost looks like a botanical garden. Lots of birds were calling and wildflowers were in bloom. The trail is fairly well-marked. The only trouble I had was finding the trailhead from the parking lot! Once the Alamo Spring trail starts to descend, watch for the Wild Burro Spur trail. Take this down to Wild Burro trail proper, which follows a level wash. You could stay on this trail back to the trailhead, but I thought a far more interesting option was to detour onto Lower Javelina trail and follow that down toward the hotel and parking lot. That's a more interesting hike than following the wash back. At the bottom I saw a pair of jackrabbits. I loved this area and would like to explore more of the trails. Highly recommend!

Gorgeous hike! Nice walk through a wash, with tons of birds, followed by a hike up a mountain with gorgeous mountain views at every turn. Really lush area. You'll have to deal with the hotel in the background for the first and last half mile, but it's out of view for the vast majority of the hike. Definitely a favorite!!

Great trail. We did it clockwise with an easy warmup in the wash and the nicer more interesting mountain trail coming back. Great with kids too if they are good walking 5 mi. Would do it again.

Great hike! We did this clockwise, with the wash walk first and ending with the steeper rocky descent. Many wildflowers and beautiful city vistas.

Excellent trail. Very well marked and maintained. Great views throughout trail. Nice elevation too. Large parking lot and bathrooms at trailhead. What else do you need?

Beautiful views and plant life. The wild flowers were blooming. Hiked clockwise and views were amazing. The hike down was so beautiful. Very well-maintained trail.

Fantastic trail. I recommend taking it clockwise if you want the best vista and a chance to warm up. Taking it counter clockwise will get you climbing sooner with a long cool down on the end. Views were awesome, weather was also great mid January. The whole loop from the parking area measured us 6.0 miles and took just under 3 hours to complete at a easy pace.

This is a 6 mile hike. It is definitely more rigorous than many "moderate" hikes. We loved it. We went clockwise, and were glad we did, because the view coming down the Alamo Spur side was spectacular. It is very sheltered from wind on the way up, but nice breeze at the top. High was 59 degrees today, and everything but t-shirt and shorts came off quickly. It's pretty steep coming and going. I strongly recommend hiking poles. My husband is like a goat, and it was no problem going up, but on the descent, it was much easier for me using poles. Spectacular hike, very glad we came.

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Great morning hike! Recommend starting up Alamo springs to start and finishing on the valley floor. Will definitely do it again. Great views of Tucson, resort area and deeper in virgin views of canyon.