West Wing Mountain Loop

West Wing Mountain Loop is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Westbrook Village, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

West Wing Mountain Loop starting at Westwing Park in Peoria, AZ. This loop includes the marked "loop" of 3.1 miles plus additional spurs to scenic views, alternative "extreme" route and short access from parking lot to official start. Trail is rocky due to volcanic basalt and tuff. Great neighborhood trail.

I set out to discover more hiking options in the West Valley and came upon West Wing Mountain. Neat hike! I found the mountain and trail no problem; I don't know other people's problem finding where it is. Just park in the West Wing Park and walk across the street. Or you can walk the other direction and hike Sunrise Mountain. I'll save that for next time!
For a small mountain, it sure is rocky and the trails can get really hard to see. I found myself scrambling to get up a peak on the West side of the mountain, only to realize the trail was on the other side of the mountain. I loved the views at the top and the uniqueness with the desert on this hike! Will do again!

As a family, we enjoy getting out to hike. my 7 &8 treat olds were able to handle the trail, but i wouldn't recommend it for younger kids. I am not a fan of the parking situation. A separate parking area would be nice. As it as now just a stop on the corner of Higueroa and High Desert.

Love this trail for a quick hike that gets your heart beating! Not too hard and has beautiful views!!

This is my favorite of the Peoria area hikes thus far. The steep route is intense and hiking shoes are necessary over gym shoes due to rocky and loose terrain. This one will burn a but, and is significantly more strenuous than other nearby peaks. The views are great and the trail was moderately crowded on a Saturday morning.

Great views!

Fun little loop. Scenic views.

Great hike, with multiple difficulty options. Great views!

Close to our house and well maintained. Not too challenging, but def some steep areas. I will definitely be back. Good for a morning weekend hike. Awesome views all around.

Well maintained trail with great urban views. Do start at the park, so you find the trail. The first spur, that goes to the top of the first peak, is a scramble. Be careful of falling rocks.

Really rocky and a bit hard to find

This hike had awful directions to get to. And took forever to find! If you are unfamiliar with the area ( like myself) I would either park at the westwing park or on the street corner of Higuera and high street. Trail head sign posted right there.

Good views -- the "difficult" route isn't too bad and is quick and scenic.

west wing loop trail. We hiked this trail by error. some errors have a way of working out. On our way up a fellow hiker described it as rugged in comparison to sunrise mountain which was our original destination. Rugged, it was, yet it is a good hike not a terribly difficult one. All in all a good hike, just prefer them away from residential areas.

Great views, sort of a quick hike if you take the "difficult" paths. Perfect right now since the flowers are blooming!

The view is amazing, and getting to the scenic view and down from the scenic view makes it challenging. I love this hike

This was a great trail. Since we have had a lot of rain, the desert is very green and beautiful. Hardly any people on the trail - pretty much had the trail to myself. The only reason I gave it four stars was the terrible directions from AllTrails. From Westwing Pkwy., turn north on Pinnacle Vista Dr., then turn west on Higuera Dr., and then turn north again on 89th Lane. The trailhead is at the end of the cul-de-sac. There are other streets nearby to park, but this was the closest if you are anxious to get on the trail. As you are hiking, you will see signs to indicate if you want the easy way or hard way on the trail. If you have the physical abilities, I will recommend the difficult way. It is more scenic - just a little more rockier and steep, but not for long. Will be visiting this trail more often.

Favorite hike ... good challenge and never crowded!

Short and quick. Great views not far from the city.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Great views all along. Lovely bright green moss right now (on the difficult route). Very light traffic.