West Wing Mountain Loop

West Wing Mountain Loop is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sun City, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

West Wing Mountain Loop starting at Westwing Park in Peoria, AZ. This loop includes the marked "loop" of 3.1 miles plus additional spurs to scenic views, alternative "extreme" route and short access from parking lot to official start. Trail is rocky due to volcanic basalt and tuff. Great neighborhood trail.

To get to the actual trail, you have to pass the highway next to Westwing Park, the parking lot where you’ll park your car. It’s a 10 minute walk through residential homes. the views of this trail were nice but to be honest, like others said, I’m not sure if it’s a loop. There’s many different connecting trails to get back down ranging from very easy to difficult, so it gives you a multitude of options depending on your level. I would probably do this trail again but do the more difficult one.

Very enjoyable hike.
I lost a pair of prescription glasses but someone found them and very thoughtfully left them a the West Wing School. Pretty cool.

private property

Great views! Steep, rocky,loose river rocks. Narrow trail at times going around bends. Opportunity to climb high for added difficulty. Ages 6+ the only thing I didn’t care for was that the trail doesn’t actually loop the way it says. You have the loop opportunity if you choose the difficult trail, if not.. then you go until it ends and turn around to go back the way you came.

Went up to the top with my 9 and 7 yr old sons. Took about 1 hr 1/2 round trip. The boys had a blast! It’s not that hard just be really careful where you step. Beautiful views all around!!

I love this trail... I’m a runner so I don’t like loose rocks on trails. This one has several points with loose rocks, but for the most part it’s just dirt that I am able to run on. It’s my favorite on the west side of the valley. Also today I got a bee stuck in my bun so be careful of wearing bright colors on a trail! Pollinators love bright colors and will follow you around ;)! Wonderful view wonderful scenery and beautiful plants and desert flowers. Stop and take in the beauty. This ones a must.

This was a pleasantly surprisingly great hike, especially being so close to a neighborhood. One side of the mountain is more like a city hike and then you get to the other side and civilization is barely visible. There several offshoots to explore and each one is so different than the next. It’s moderate, but has several challenging parts. Great views, very few flat areas, lots of ups and downs. Several places had very loose rock and other areas had some slippery rocks. Lots of shady spots-we started after noon. The parking situation is a little weird and the first part of the trail is walking through a path that leads you between backyards of people who live in huge houses with what must be enormous HOA fees. I’d definitely do this hike again if I was a repeater.

This trail is by far the best in the area. It's a great workout. The trail at times can be hard to follow, but there's no way to get lost. The trail is pretty natural with wildlife all around and amazing saguaros and other cactus along the route. The views from the peaks are beautiful.

Bit strenuous, 'easy' loop some steep climbing. Don't know about view, focused on trail and where I should step next. Step counters, it was only 11,000 steps.

This hike begins at West Wing Park and requires you to travel across the street and through a back path bordering homes in the area. While I agree it is a bit rocky, I don't think it's to the excess some have described. I winged this one and took the difficult path up. I ended off trail for a bit of time, but eventually found my way around. It's a pretty mountain with some views. Interesting how different it is from Sunrise, considering how close they are. I still prefer Sunrise, but it's still varied enough to offer a good time.

Great hike, but so much loose rock on the trails. Be careful not to slip or turn an ankle.

Nice workout in the city.

This trail is rated moderate but it is not suitable for anything but boots and experienced hikers. Steep, loose and rocky, bring a hiking pole. Not suitable for young children. The ruggedness and vistas are spectacular. Great access to vast, empty state, county, and federal land at North and East trailheads. Makes a great 2 to 3 hour adventure.

Good moderate trail! Amazing 360 views! You can see downtown to the southeast and lake pleasant to the north. Decent climb and a really good training hike. If you do the loop and all the scenic views you’ll get a good 5.5-6 miles in. No shade, bring sunscreen and water!

This is a great trail and easy to get to. also good for dogs. Remember to bring water

Good hike

Sunday, March 18, 2018

After doing every trail on this mountain, I have to say, it never disappoints. It is a good workout and I love the views of the Bradshaw Mountains and Lake Pleasant to the north.
Crowds on the weekend, but if you can get here during the week, you might be lucky to have the trails to yourself. Spring is my favorite with the green grasses and wildflowers. In the warm months, beware of snakes and swarms of bees.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Went in the early morning, around 7 am, it was still nice and cool throughout the whole hike. It was pretty rocky but manageable. Had a beautiful view of the valley and was lucky enough to watch a hot air balloon float by!

Monday, March 12, 2018

Went after lunch, and it got warm on the West side. My husband and I enjoyed the views from both sides of the peaks and also enjoyed the fact that our heart rate went up. Definitely a moderate trail.

Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Great hike, north side much more challenging

Friday, February 23, 2018

Trail is rugged and the west, alternative, "extreme" summit is VERY steep. I did it in sneakers but wish I brought hiking boots. Nice views fun trail.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

So many people don't clean up after their pets. it might just be the people in the neighborhood since you have to walk behind homes a ways to actually get to the trailhead. It was my first time so will be back and go farther. Not busy at all from 8am to 9am.

Saturday, February 03, 2018

Should be rated hard. Loose rock everywhere, very technical. I enjoyed it and the views were terrific, but you need good boots and a taste for precise foot placement.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Not what I expected. Lots of loose rocks and I felt like I was climbing more than hiking. This is an advanced trail and I was looking for an intermediate trail. I did get beautiful pictures from about a mile up before turning around and having a heck of a time shimmying my way down. Glad I did check it out, just not what I like.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Great low traffic hike! Good elevation and scenic views, highly recommend.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Solid trail that is not traveled by many, so you can easily expect little traffic along the way. Pay attention to the trail map, trailhead and groomed paths. Tucked into the Westwing community and often overlooked as a trail to hike. Very nice views of the NW valley. Make sure you have decent hiking or trail running shoes as the trail has some loose rocks along the way. I wouldn't recommend it for kids under the age of 10-12 either. Dogs are welcome but not a trail I would bring them along if not necessary since the routes can be narrow in quite a few spots.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Nice hike. The rocks are beautiful. Amazing views from multiple view points. The trailhead is easy to follow. Challenging trail with a spot to go rock climbing. This is a good spot to build up your knees and ankles and cardio.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

I set out to discover more hiking options in the West Valley and came upon West Wing Mountain. Neat hike! I found the mountain and trail no problem; I don't know other people's problem finding where it is. Just park in the West Wing Park and walk across the street. Or you can walk the other direction and hike Sunrise Mountain. I'll save that for next time!
For a small mountain, it sure is rocky and the trails can get really hard to see. I found myself scrambling to get up a peak on the West side of the mountain, only to realize the trail was on the other side of the mountain. I loved the views at the top and the uniqueness with the desert on this hike! Will do again!

Monday, January 15, 2018

As a family, we enjoy getting out to hike. my 7 &8 treat olds were able to handle the trail, but i wouldn't recommend it for younger kids. I am not a fan of the parking situation. A separate parking area would be nice. As it as now just a stop on the corner of Higueroa and High Desert.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Love this trail for a quick hike that gets your heart beating! Not too hard and has beautiful views!!