West Wing Mountain Loop

West Wing Mountain Loop is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Westbrook Village, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

West Wing Mountain Loop starting at Westwing Park in Peoria, AZ. This loop includes the marked "loop" of 3.1 miles plus additional spurs to scenic views, alternative "extreme" route and short access from parking lot to official start. Trail is rocky due to volcanic basalt and tuff. Great neighborhood trail.

Nice workout in the city.

This trail is rated moderate but it is not suitable for anything but boots and experienced hikers. Steep, loose and rocky, bring a hiking pole. Not suitable for young children. The ruggedness and vistas are spectacular. Great access to vast, empty state, county, and federal land at North and East trailheads. Makes a great 2 to 3 hour adventure.

Good moderate trail! Amazing 360 views! You can see downtown to the southeast and lake pleasant to the north. Decent climb and a really good training hike. If you do the loop and all the scenic views you’ll get a good 5.5-6 miles in. No shade, bring sunscreen and water!

This is a great trail and easy to get to. also good for dogs. Remember to bring water

Good hike

After doing every trail on this mountain, I have to say, it never disappoints. It is a good workout and I love the views of the Bradshaw Mountains and Lake Pleasant to the north.
Crowds on the weekend, but if you can get here during the week, you might be lucky to have the trails to yourself. Spring is my favorite with the green grasses and wildflowers. In the warm months, beware of snakes and swarms of bees.

Went in the early morning, around 7 am, it was still nice and cool throughout the whole hike. It was pretty rocky but manageable. Had a beautiful view of the valley and was lucky enough to watch a hot air balloon float by!

Went after lunch, and it got warm on the West side. My husband and I enjoyed the views from both sides of the peaks and also enjoyed the fact that our heart rate went up. Definitely a moderate trail.

Great hike, north side much more challenging

Trail is rugged and the west, alternative, "extreme" summit is VERY steep. I did it in sneakers but wish I brought hiking boots. Nice views fun trail.

So many people don't clean up after their pets. it might just be the people in the neighborhood since you have to walk behind homes a ways to actually get to the trailhead. It was my first time so will be back and go farther. Not busy at all from 8am to 9am.

Should be rated hard. Loose rock everywhere, very technical. I enjoyed it and the views were terrific, but you need good boots and a taste for precise foot placement.

Not what I expected. Lots of loose rocks and I felt like I was climbing more than hiking. This is an advanced trail and I was looking for an intermediate trail. I did get beautiful pictures from about a mile up before turning around and having a heck of a time shimmying my way down. Glad I did check it out, just not what I like.

Great low traffic hike! Good elevation and scenic views, highly recommend.

Solid trail that is not traveled by many, so you can easily expect little traffic along the way. Pay attention to the trail map, trailhead and groomed paths. Tucked into the Westwing community and often overlooked as a trail to hike. Very nice views of the NW valley. Make sure you have decent hiking or trail running shoes as the trail has some loose rocks along the way. I wouldn't recommend it for kids under the age of 10-12 either. Dogs are welcome but not a trail I would bring them along if not necessary since the routes can be narrow in quite a few spots.

Nice hike. The rocks are beautiful. Amazing views from multiple view points. The trailhead is easy to follow. Challenging trail with a spot to go rock climbing. This is a good spot to build up your knees and ankles and cardio.

I set out to discover more hiking options in the West Valley and came upon West Wing Mountain. Neat hike! I found the mountain and trail no problem; I don't know other people's problem finding where it is. Just park in the West Wing Park and walk across the street. Or you can walk the other direction and hike Sunrise Mountain. I'll save that for next time!
For a small mountain, it sure is rocky and the trails can get really hard to see. I found myself scrambling to get up a peak on the West side of the mountain, only to realize the trail was on the other side of the mountain. I loved the views at the top and the uniqueness with the desert on this hike! Will do again!

As a family, we enjoy getting out to hike. my 7 &8 treat olds were able to handle the trail, but i wouldn't recommend it for younger kids. I am not a fan of the parking situation. A separate parking area would be nice. As it as now just a stop on the corner of Higueroa and High Desert.

Love this trail for a quick hike that gets your heart beating! Not too hard and has beautiful views!!

This is my favorite of the Peoria area hikes thus far. The steep route is intense and hiking shoes are necessary over gym shoes due to rocky and loose terrain. This one will burn a but, and is significantly more strenuous than other nearby peaks. The views are great and the trail was moderately crowded on a Saturday morning.

Great views!

Fun little loop. Scenic views.

Great hike, with multiple difficulty options. Great views!

Close to our house and well maintained. Not too challenging, but def some steep areas. I will definitely be back. Good for a morning weekend hike. Awesome views all around.

Well maintained trail with great urban views. Do start at the park, so you find the trail. The first spur, that goes to the top of the first peak, is a scramble. Be careful of falling rocks.

Really rocky and a bit hard to find

This hike had awful directions to get to. And took forever to find! If you are unfamiliar with the area ( like myself) I would either park at the westwing park or on the street corner of Higuera and high street. Trail head sign posted right there.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Friday, May 12, 2017

Good views -- the "difficult" route isn't too bad and is quick and scenic.