West Fork Trail

West Fork Trail is a 7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Semi-shaded by trees and towering canyon walls make this the perfect 7 mile Sedona hike if you want to beat the heat. Trekking up Oak Creek's west fork offers one of the best hiking experiences in Sedona, an area already known as a hiker's paradise. The steep canyon walls and the shade of trees make this a perfect trail if you're looking to avoid the heat of the Arizona sun. Trace the creek upstream along pleasant sandy trails and thirteen separate river crossings and enjoy the imposing views of the canyon walls towering above you. Unless the waters are high, the crossings are relatively easy, and the elevation gain on this trail is slight. The trail ends where the canyon walls close in on you and there's nowhere else to go without getting your feet wet. Enjoy the great views, make the most of the photo opportunities and marvel at how the water has etched away at the rock over the millennia. If you're suitably equipped, you can continue to wade upstream for another quarter of a mile or so. The pebbly creek bed can be a little hard on bare feet, but it might be tolerable to you - also be careful of the smoother rock surfaces underfoot which are particularly slippery. Eleven miles north of Sedona, the trailhead at the Call of the Canyon day use area has limited parking availability, which may be an inconvenience to some, but early arrivals will enjoy a relatively uncrowded trail. Elevation gain: - Approx 400ft (from 5,320 to 5,660ft)

It's ok, but overrated if you ask me. I did it because it was a recommended hike. It's about 7.5 miles in and out and took me 3.5 hours. It is easy in the sense of negligible elevation gain and general trail. However be aware it requires criss crossing the stream several times. I did it without issue though. I didn't think it was that scenic myself. The best part is the very end. Also there is an extra $10 fee for this area as it isn't covered by a red rocks pass (except a certain annual one I think).

Basically the trail follows the creek up the canyon a ways until it becomes to narrow to continue. It's largely sand trail. lost count but 10+ stream crossings.

Done this trail multiple times. It is flat the entire way but you do have to cross water multiple times which is very fun!

$10 cash only to park. Shady and chilly in morning. Many frozen creek crossings compromise hike. Easy enough to follow route and not difficult. Sandy much of the way. We ran into skunk. Not exactly a hike I would recommend.

Very beautiful trail. Most of the trail is sand, soft, dusty ground, which got annoying at times but overall okay- the scenery & creek views more than make up for it. There were about 2 times where we came across a creek and had to cross using the rocks, which was manageable but just just a head’s up. We hiked this trail during winter so getting wet wasn’t an option. We also hiked with our dogs- they loved it.

Unexpectedly beautiful! Lots of stream crossings that were a bit sketchy at times, but nothing that impassable.

Beautiful, easy trail with several creek crossings. Suitable for anyone who can keep their balance crossing an ankle deep stream. Small fee to park, and the lot can fill up quickly so get there early or hope for good timing. You might get wet feet, so wear appropriate shoes :)

Began this hike at dusk so walking out in the dark definitely added some adventure.
The entire trail is sand which isn't great but overall a lovely stroll. I definitely got my feet wet but it wasn't so cold that I couldn't look past it.

Beautiful views from the bottom- looking up at all of the red rocks - stunning. The trail is all silt- so wear tall socks or gators. Also be prepared to get your feet wet- it’s near impossible to make all the crossings without one slip- it was MUCH colder in the canyon then it was where we parked and when the trail started- it’s deceiving. Bring gloves and a hat- at least in dec- overall it was a great hike

If you don’t want to get wet don’t go... multiple stream crossings .. the stream itself is shallow but the rocks you have to use to avoid the water could be slippery .... my wife slipped and fell in the stream on the fourth crossing and we turned back. The hike until then was ok but I think it didn’t live up to the hype

Absolutely beautiful. We had to wait in a line to park so get there early. There is a lot of shade. You will have to cross over several little rivers. I have three kids and the two little ones needed help. One of my favorite easy hikes and worth the drive

Peaceful, changing scenery, many creek crossings! Great day on the trail.

Excellent trail, beautiful cliff walls, woods and creek. Start of trail is a pain due to loose sand flats with hidden rocks mixed in. Bring a change of socks, boots or shoes. Water shoes or sandles are useful. 13 creek crossings. Loved this hike, will be back again soon.

Great hike, easy, beautiful views, places to rest, make sure you have cash to pay for parking $10.

My all time favorite hike. Beautiful and easy. If you go early it’s not crowded.

My favorite Sedona Hike so far! We did this hike in April 2017. The weather was perfect, but parking is limited! The hike is very very easy, but you can walk for miles if you choose to. The scenery is unreal! Creek crossings, amazing rock formations, rock walls, swimming areas, picturesque landscape! We took our time and took tons of pictures!

Hey everyone. I dropped a Fitbit watch here on thanksgiving 11/24/2017. If anyone came across this watch and wants to be nice enough to return it I would greatly appreciate it. Even if it’s smashed to pieces.

My address is 1927 W Holly St Phoenix AZ 85009 United States

I know it’s just a Fitbit. Materialistic problem, but it was a gift and I just got it. Even if it’s broken I’d be ecstatic to have it back in my possession.

Also does anyone know if there is a lost and found possibly. Thanks everyone.

Other than loosing this watch I enjoyed the hike. Second year in a row I’ve hiked it on thanksgiving. The streams trees and cliffs are amazing to look at. If the parking lot is full you can drive up the road and park on the road.

Shaded hike, lots of stream crossings, lots of trees. It reminded me a little bit of the hikes in Muir Woods. Very fun, heavily trafficked. We only made it 1.5 Miles then turned back.

Note - Your footwear will get wet.

Family friendly (6 and 8 year olds)

Beautiful Rock formations and a very long and flat out and back. Quite popular so it can be hard to get in but once you get a mile back on the trail it thins out considerably.

It’s a long hike to and back. Lots of river/creek crossing. Good chance you’ll get wet. Super high walls reminds me of Zion. Count a good 3 to 4 hour hike. Parking slim, so get there early.

Very pretty but too busy for those that like to feel more solitude on hikes. It was on my list to do and I am glad I did. Get there early to get a parking spot as the lot fills very fast and bring $10. I went in April so it was cool enough in the morning and by the time we got back to the car it was warming up. I don’t know if I would do this in the summer since it is in a canyon and it can heat up fast. It felt longer than 5 miles round trip though. I was pretty tired by the end. There are plenty of places to cool off in the water and it is a must see trip when going through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Regardless of the time of year bring plenty of water and snacks as the length of this trail is what might get you more than the technical difficulty