West Clear Creek Trail

West Clear Creek Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 40 miles south on Interstate 17. Leave the highway at the AZ 179 exit and turn east under the freeway. Drive about 9 miles on FR 618 to FR 215 and turn east about 3 miles to the Bullpen Ranch trailhead. Or turn east off FR 618 on FR 214 about 8 miles from the highway and turn east 4.7 miles to the Bald Hill Road. Follow this primitive road about 1 mile to a rock-pile cairn that marks the trailhead.

Went four + miles in and especially loved Chermside sections. Exposed sections are long in the beginning and after the third creek crossing, so be prepared if the forecast is in the mid-is and take plenty of water and sun protection. Going out, the trail dumps you in a field of river rock with no guidance, just a couple tenths of a mile before the second crossing. Bear left/upstream and you'll eventually see the trail. There is also an unmarked fork after the third crossing. The left fork dead ends at a campsite on the creek. The straighter option is correct. I wished the trail stayed closer to the creek after the third crossing. Saw a large rattlesnake that blocked the path just after the second crossing on the way back. Be careful.

First backpacking trip. Beautiful trail. Loved crossing the creek 3x. Lots of rocks and boulders. Saw our first rattlesnake.

I did this hike for the first time today with my kids they range from 19 all the way down to 7, It's beautiful, but mostly exposed to the sun. By the midway point coming back my little guy was tired and ready to be home but was able to make it just fine.

4 stars because as a previous poster said the trail kinda wandered off. I used the app to make sure we were on track, but the map ended before we actually got to the end of the trail so we had to find the rest of the trail on our own.

I really liked this hike would give it 5 stars but only giving it 4 cause part of the trail is not marked, so I ended up going off trail for a little while.

CAUTION: While hiking this Trail be aware of what is above you, while taking a short break on the trail heard something fall and hit the ground. I was expect to turn around and find a stick on the ground but instead found a large king or Gardner Snake about 6 in from my pack and about 2 feet away from me.

West Clear Creek, from Bull Pen to the Tramway trailhead is always a spectacular hike.
Allow 3 full days to reach the Pine Tree and Sawgrass covered creekbed. Great fishing along the way with Indian ruins to visit as well. Accessible from Clints Well on the Mogollon Rim.