West Clear Creek Trail

West Clear Creek Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 40 miles south on Interstate 17. Leave the highway at the AZ 179 exit and turn east under the freeway. Drive about 9 miles on FR 618 to FR 215 and turn east about 3 miles to the Bullpen Ranch trailhead. Or turn east off FR 618 on FR 214 about 8 miles from the highway and turn east 4.7 miles to the Bald Hill Road. Follow this primitive road about 1 mile to a rock-pile cairn that marks the trailhead.

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary on this trail. We hiked, camped and enjoyed the creek all weekend. the trail is so worth the effort!

fantastic Trail we took it in the winter with no snow and our five year old and was able to do a great job the water wasn't very high and some boots were able to keep most of the stream Crossing dry for him. would definitely do again especially in the summer when it's warm enough to play in the Stream Crossings or in the Stream itself.

Beautiful hike, the creek was amazing & clear like the name, but there is a place into the hike where you can't cross the creek so it will cut the round trip hike to about 2 miles. Still very picturesque w/lots of red rock bolders...The drive getting to the Trailhead is difficult, a high clearance vehicle with rock type tires are highly recommended.

Amazing! Beautiful scenery.

Love this trail. Clear creek is wonderful and the cool stuff in the canyon makes me want to go again and again.

Words of caution if you intend to hike this trail:
The road in is in bad shape. Very dusty and bumpy with a wash area with very soft sand making it very difficult for non - high clearance vehicles to make it thru.
Once on the trail, high water levels prevented stream crossing so our hike was shortened considerably.

Went four + miles in and especially loved Chermside sections. Exposed sections are long in the beginning and after the third creek crossing, so be prepared if the forecast is in the mid-is and take plenty of water and sun protection. Going out, the trail dumps you in a field of river rock with no guidance, just a couple tenths of a mile before the second crossing. Bear left/upstream and you'll eventually see the trail. There is also an unmarked fork after the third crossing. The left fork dead ends at a campsite on the creek. The straighter option is correct. I wished the trail stayed closer to the creek after the third crossing. Saw a large rattlesnake that blocked the path just after the second crossing on the way back. Be careful.

First backpacking trip. Beautiful trail. Loved crossing the creek 3x. Lots of rocks and boulders. Saw our first rattlesnake.

I did this hike for the first time today with my kids they range from 19 all the way down to 7, It's beautiful, but mostly exposed to the sun. By the midway point coming back my little guy was tired and ready to be home but was able to make it just fine.

4 stars because as a previous poster said the trail kinda wandered off. I used the app to make sure we were on track, but the map ended before we actually got to the end of the trail so we had to find the rest of the trail on our own.

I really liked this hike would give it 5 stars but only giving it 4 cause part of the trail is not marked, so I ended up going off trail for a little while.

CAUTION: While hiking this Trail be aware of what is above you, while taking a short break on the trail heard something fall and hit the ground. I was expect to turn around and find a stick on the ground but instead found a large king or Gardner Snake about 6 in from my pack and about 2 feet away from me.

West Clear Creek, from Bull Pen to the Tramway trailhead is always a spectacular hike.
Allow 3 full days to reach the Pine Tree and Sawgrass covered creekbed. Great fishing along the way with Indian ruins to visit as well. Accessible from Clints Well on the Mogollon Rim.

This was a quick night out camping by the creek with a friend. The drive in is not pretty but when you get to the creek it's amazingly beautiful. We got there late and we weren't prepared to cross the creek (make sure you have sandals and quick dry shorts) so after crossing the creek a couple of times we decided to go back before it got too dark and settled in a camping site before the first crossing of the creek. The camping site was pretty nice but there were lots crawling bugs including spiders of all sizes and scorpions. I love this place and I can't wait to go back with my family and friends to backpack deeper into the canyon.

You have to drive a ways on a dirt road to the trailhead. The trail ends at a beautiful creek spot. We passed a few people who said you can backpack further in and that it's even more beautiful!

One of my favorite weekend backpacking destinations.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

this hike was unbelievably amazing!!!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

It is such a beautiful hike!!!! It is hot so dress light. the water is amazing!!! I cant wait to hike it again. It is a great place that looks like you are in Alabama not Arizona :)

Sunday, August 07, 2016

It's pretty tough, slower going and farther then I thought. pack light, you will need to push limits and that combined with spectacular scenery may cause feelings of ecstasy :)

Friday, July 29, 2016

No signs warning that the dirt road was so rough. took a fiat out there and made it to the end but it was scary. the water is brown as brown can be but its a beautiful trail and definitely one for spring time, it's just too hot in the summer for this one

Friday, June 10, 2016

The road to get to the trailhead West Clear Creek #17, following FR 216 all the way to Bull Pen Ranch, is extremely terrible. Definitely need a high clearance vehicle, unless one wants to drive less than 5mph for the next 4-5 miles on a regular passenger car. PLEASE don't disregard this at all. Most important thing is HOW to get there. That's the most valuable thing you need. Don't trust anyone that says to wing it on your regular car. Just not right.

Could not get to it because we ended up taking a mustang, so we decided to do another trail in the area. Still gave it 3 stars because the pictures are good and very nice area, but the road to get there is just as important. So stars were taken off for that.

can follow me on IG: capturingaz
Can also read some of my other reviews on www.capturingaz.blogspot.com

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Well worth the time. Several creek crossings.