Weaver's Needle Trail

Weaver's Needle Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Apache Junction, drive about 8.5 miles east on U.S. Highway 60, then turn left on Peralta Road (Forest Road 77), which is a maintained dirt road. Continue 8 miles to the end of the road at the Peralta Trailhead.

Great hike out of Peralta trailhead no matter which way you go. Do not need a State Land Use permit as mentioned in a prior review.

We do a lot of hiking on a lot of different trails, this is one of our favorite! So incredibly beautiful no matter what time of year you go! It is challenging but very doable.

Drove all the way out from West Valley Phoenix to find I have to have a state trust land permit to access the area. Very frustrating! Needs to be mentioned in the description that the area requires a pass!!!

Don't listen to Dave. You can easily make the road in a car to the Peralta trailhead.

First, you should know the last six miles or so to get to the trail head are on a dirt road. If you're in a little car - don't attempt.

This is one of the most beautiful hikes in the area - the vegetation, the birds and critters are stunning. The trail is simple to follow but it is not easy - large rocks makes it more difficult than a typical moderate trail.

Your reward is the view when you reach the top. Don't stop until you get there!

easy, but busy. great views at top

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Thursday, May 08, 2014

Well this was my first hike with my son. I decided nothing to crazy so we did Fremont Saddle returning on the Cave Trail. Along the way we met two girls who were doing this hike for their first time. So I invited them to join us and they did. I have done this hike many times and not always the same way. The weather was great and we all had a very enjoyable hike.
When we reached the parking lot we said are goodbyes. My son and I decided to hit the Wilderness Brewery for refreshments.

Thursday, December 06, 2012

We recorded this loop at 13.3 miles and took us 7 hours. We did this loop counter clockwise. So from the Trailhead, we took the Bluff Springs trail for 2.5 miles to the Terrapin trail north along the east side of Weaver's Needle. Be careful here as you need to make a sharp left to connect with the Terrapin trail just on the north side of the wash. The Terrapin trail was overgrown in some spots so long pants are a good idea. We wore shorts and got pretty torn up. You'll be on this trail for about 3 miles until you hit the Dutchman trail where you'll head west for about 2 miles to the Peralta trail. One on the Peralta trail, head south about 7 miles and you're out. It's a long steady climb up to the saddle. This loop has many elevation changes. you'll be up and down the whole way...