Weaver's Needle Loop Trail

Weaver's Needle Loop Trail is a 13.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful rock formation. Wild Flowers everywhere.
Humming birds.
Use hiking boots. Not tennis shoes
Lots of Water. And snacks.
This is an all day trail.
Be careful.

It's a long trail. Make sure you bring lots of water and snacks. It was 95 degrees and sunny

Had great time hiking this trail. Stunning views.

Great trail! Mid-80s when I went (March). Took me 2 hours and 10 minutes only stopping for scenery pics. My phone calculated around 4.6 miles total. So, give or take if you wander around a bit, it's about that length. The BEST part was that the water basin was full and a tiny water stream was running into it!!! It's not always full of water, so it was a real treat! This also meant that the stream was running. So fun to see water on a hot day in AZ. Parking was no problem at all. Plenty (and free!). Just have patience with the gravely dusty road leading up to the trail head. Takes a while to drive it...but you're on the right path!

Not difficult.
Must use thick hiking boots. Steal toed boots.
Lots of water.

It's more of a 15 mile hike, maybe longer! We ran out of water the last 2 miles. Yikes! Lots of loose rocks and overgrown vegetation covering some of the trail. A bit hard on the knees, too, constantly up and down over huge boulders and slippery gravel. Didn't see any flowers or wildlife, but it's probably the season.
Because of all the rain, about 70% of the trail was covered in water, in some areas the trail became the streams from the mountains.. be careful where you step if you don't have waterproof shoes. We had a few close calls.
We hiked up the Peralta Trailhead #102 side first and came back around through Dutchman #234. I wish there were more mile markers or signs, it seemed like we had wandered off trail a few times... We were at a slow speed just enjoying the scenery and didn't realize how LONG this would take, I had to take lots of short breaks due to my knees haha. We are intermediate level hikers, havasupai and the grand canyon.
Overall, it was a BEAUTIFUL hike. Great 360 view of Weaver's Needle, Black Top Mesa in the back. Cloudy day, breezy, we just needed a light jacket. The desert is so gorgeous with the hundreds of small seasonal 'waterfalls' and rivers.
Would definitely hike again under better prepared circumstances. Would not recommend hiking on a sunny day. Would not recommend dogs. Maybe for Peralta, but definitely not the entire loop.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

I solo hiked this on 4-9-2016. I started at 7:10 am it was 60 degrees and finished at 2:30 pm and it was 83 degrees. I went counterclockwise starting on the Bluff Springs trail for about 2.5 miles, then the Terrapin trail for 3 miles, then the Dutchman's trail for about a mile then headed back on Peralta. My hike tracker had it as 13.55 miles. I was told that since I am not used to such heat I needed to carry extra water. I took 6 liters plus two 8 oz bottles, I only needed 3 liters. I also ate 1 shotblok every mile. I stopped for lunch when I was at about the 7.5 mile mark. No shade at this point, but a big cloud covered the sun just long enough for me to enjoy the coolness. The sun is no joke here. I wore a T-shirt and a long sleeve white shirt. I rolled the sleeves up a bit and put on sunscreen. I sunburned through the shirt below the arm of the t-shirt and above where I put on the sunscreen on. I only encountered 5 people by the time I got to the Dutchman's trail and then I met 2 people there. Only 1 man farther out on Peralta. When i started getting to the more popular place, there were several people. I took 191 photographs and was lucky to see many of the cactus in bloom.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A GREEN TRAIL MAP: 2829S Superstition Wilderness

Friday, February 26, 2016

Awesome but bring enough water! It's a long hike and I ran out and almost died. Some guys gave me water when I saw them! Thank you out there!

Friday, February 19, 2016

Great hike with a rewarding view at the end. The altitude increase is gradual and consistent so it's barely noticed.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Outstanding loop - classic Superstitions.