Weaver's Needle Loop Trail

Weaver's Needle Loop Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hiked up to Fremont Saddle with my wife to get the awesome view of Weavers Needle. Started out about 7:30 am to beat the heat and other hikers. Had the whole view up at the top to ourselves for about a half hr. Made our way back down about 9:30 and met the flood of other hikers making their way up. Very nice moderate hike. Path is wide open and easy to maneuver.

Beautiful day spent in solitude. Went counterclockwise starting at 11am, and ran into 3 people coming the other way. Finished around 530. Stopped halfway for a 30 minute break.

Loved the changing scenery on this hike. Went from rolling hills, to a dry riverbed, up and over the trail to Peralta.

Hiked in late April, and thought I could get away with 2.5 to 3L of water. Ran out about 2 hours before the end of the trail, making it a real adventure! I would bring 4L for this hike in the future. That first taste of cold water from the gas station was refreshing to say the least.

Would absolutely come back to this location and try it clockwise next time.

As mentioned below, I recommend taking the trail Clockwise starting on the Peralta side. (Trail 102 to 104 to 234 to 235) If you start early enough, you will have a great view of Weaver’s Needle at sunrise. The trail is pretty well defined and you will notice when you start getting of course and I just always looked for footprints to help me find my way. There’s quite a bit of loose rocks along the 234/235 trail which is another reason why I would recommend going clockwise because I would not want to be going down hill on that part of the trail. The rest of the trail however is dirt path and easy to hike. Like everyone else has said, bring lots of water and snacks! It is the desert and this hike is long- took me about 5 and half hours or so with minimal stops and keeping pace. It’s an awesome challenging trail though and highly recommend!

Really great day hike - Incredible views the whole way, no people except on the Peralta side, and a pretty steady elevation (what goes up must come down) that made it difficult but more of a moderate-difficult. The difficulty was really in the length of the hike; it took me 15 miles due to an unintentional detour.

A couple things - I went counterclockwise and did have trouble staying on the trail. My recommendation is to look for the rock cairns and if you stop seeing them, go back. You shouldn’t be in the riverbed for too long (probably 15 min) before seeing the trail on the right of the riverbed. Also, bring enough water, food, and sunscreen. Take a picture of the map at the start so you can refer to it at each junction. When I was there, a park ranger was nice enough to provide some guidance. All in all, magical and worth it.

Challenging hike with gorgeous views. Geography and geology changes constantly making it even more beautiful. Trail is not well marked and it’s easy to be on a “trail” before realizing it’s not the trail! Bring more water than usual. Your calves will feel this hike for days!!

This trail will test your will to live haha. Absolutly beautiful views. I did get off course a few times more than Ide like to admit so it ended up being closer to 15 miles. Expect to get lost a little :) Bring lots of water and proper footwear.

Great hike , fantastic views, bring water, sunscreen, map, portable phone charger etc. FYI there is no permit needed to park, hike or camp in the superstition wilderness, however you cannot camp in the parking lots. This hike is in the superstition wilderness and starts at peralta trailhead. You can leave your vehicles overnight in the parking lot. The superstition wilderness is part of the Tonto National Forest. The Tonto National forest starts at the sign about a third of a mile from the trailhead. That first 6.5 (approx) miles of dirt road is state land and you are supposed to have a permit to camp park etc on that land. Other rules for the wilderness are posted at the trailhead. During the hiking season, normally October to April there are volunteers at the trailhead to answer questions; usually until noon. Peralta trailhead parking lot fills up by 9am on weekends, but there is overflow parking about a quarter mile down the road.

Got stopped by search and rescue on the way to Whiskey Spring Red Tanks Miners Canyon Loop. Planned to do a over nighter there. Search and Rescue warned us not to go out there. They had said it is inhabitable and totally overgrown. So they advised us to do Weavers Needle and it was great.

Even having a physical hard copy map and the AllTrails App open the mileage markers are off. We ended up taking Peralta Trail up to Weavers Needle and camped out off the trail. I posted pictures of potential Weavers Needle back-country camp sites (see my completed list in the profile if you are planning to go back country camping). Great views around, it was a amazing time. It would be my luck though that it would rain. Which lasted 15 hours making the rocks in the morning slippery. The trail has lots of lose rock and minimal cover from the sun. I would agree with others in bringing enough water. Would definitely go back was a amazing experience. Enjoy.

Incredible trail with some gorgeous views throughout. IMO harder than it appears. Definitely bring more water than you think you need and sunscreen as exposed most of the route.

Gorgeous scenery, almost no one on the trail beyond the Saddle. It took 6 hours with a lunch break. I did it on a cloudy day and it was exhausting. Definitely bring more water than you think, food and sun protection!

So we started on the 235 going around the right side of the loop and missed the turn off for the 234 because we went down the riverbed and missed the sign. We ended up going northeast on the 104 which we took for another 2 hours hoping it would switch back west so we could loop back around and make it back to the Peralta TH but we didn’t have the time so we turned back. Did about 15 miles in total but if we had kept going on the 104 it would have looped back to where we needed to be, we just didn’t want to be hiking in the dark. Just a warning to others. Make sure you see the 234 sign that turns west if you want to do the Weavers Needle hike. Or just take the left path at the start. Hope this helps others.

This trail was a delicious treat. The first mile or two was a little congested just until Fremont saddle and then for the rest of the trail I didn’t see another soul until I was back at the trailhead. I actually started at the trailhead with my boyfriend and we hiked the loop in opposite directions, passing each other at the midpoint. Beautiful landscape with soaring mountains and really dense and lush scrubby creek beds. Lots of changes in elevation for a good challenge and to keep the old ticker pumpin. Managed to clock in at around five hours, but hiking at a brisk pace. Will absolutely be back to hike another one of the many hikes that start at the Peralta trailhead. (Also passed a ton of dispersed campsites along the trail for backpackers doing one of the longer loops that connects to this trail!)

This is a really worthwhile hike both from an exercise and scenery perspective. We came out a bit under 13mi (maybe 12.5 miles and that included 1/2 mile total of a slight diversion) but AEG was right around 3000 feet. It's pretty quiet out there, and not many people past the saddle. Highly recommended.

This was an outstanding trail. Everyone stops at the overlook or the lonesome pine. Seeing the Needle from every side is truly a gift. Around every rise or outcropping was a new breathtaking view. I cannot day enough about how beautiful this area is. No need for a permit. The park ranger was waiting at the trailhead and said they no longer charge!

bring a lot of water and food. its poorly signalised too. definately one of the most beatiful hikes i ever did.

Not sure you need a permit; just signed in at Peralta Trailhead. 12 mile loop, 2800 elevation gain. Crowds thin after Fremont saddle where most people turn around.

I started at sunrise and went counterclockwise from Bluff Springs. The canyon looks dope in the morning, like a scene from LOTR or Jurassic Park. There are great views, plenty of obscure places to relieve yourself, and plenty of stacked rocks used as trail markers to help keep you on track. Bring lots of water, some snacks, and don't forget your traveling llama or gnome. Oh and sunscreen. No one ever talks about sunscreen... Bring you some sunscreen. Maybe also a hat and sunglasses? Maybe hug a loved one when you get home, too. Preferably after you've showered. **edited: according to newer reviews you might not need a permit! there are signs at the beginning that say a permit is required, and there wasn't a park ranger on my way in that I signed with, so I'm not sure. I just went and got one at the nearest gas station for like 6 bucks.

Beautiful rock formation. Wild Flowers everywhere.
Humming birds.
Use hiking boots. Not tennis shoes
Lots of Water. And snacks.
This is an all day trail.
Be careful.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

It's a long trail. Make sure you bring lots of water and snacks. It was 95 degrees and sunny

Monday, May 01, 2017

Had great time hiking this trail. Stunning views.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Monday, March 13, 2017

Great trail! Mid-80s when I went (March). Took me 2 hours and 10 minutes only stopping for scenery pics. My phone calculated around 4.6 miles total. So, give or take if you wander around a bit, it's about that length. The BEST part was that the water basin was full and a tiny water stream was running into it!!! It's not always full of water, so it was a real treat! This also meant that the stream was running. So fun to see water on a hot day in AZ. Parking was no problem at all. Plenty (and free!). Just have patience with the gravely dusty road leading up to the trail head. Takes a while to drive it...but you're on the right path!

Monday, February 13, 2017

Not difficult.
Must use thick hiking boots. Steal toed boots.
Lots of water.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

It's more of a 15 mile hike, maybe longer! We ran out of water the last 2 miles. Yikes! Lots of loose rocks and overgrown vegetation covering some of the trail. A bit hard on the knees, too, constantly up and down over huge boulders and slippery gravel. Didn't see any flowers or wildlife, but it's probably the season.
Because of all the rain, about 70% of the trail was covered in water, in some areas the trail became the streams from the mountains.. be careful where you step if you don't have waterproof shoes. We had a few close calls.
We hiked up the Peralta Trailhead #102 side first and came back around through Dutchman #234. I wish there were more mile markers or signs, it seemed like we had wandered off trail a few times... We were at a slow speed just enjoying the scenery and didn't realize how LONG this would take, I had to take lots of short breaks due to my knees haha. We are intermediate level hikers, havasupai and the grand canyon.
Overall, it was a BEAUTIFUL hike. Great 360 view of Weaver's Needle, Black Top Mesa in the back. Cloudy day, breezy, we just needed a light jacket. The desert is so gorgeous with the hundreds of small seasonal 'waterfalls' and rivers.
Would definitely hike again under better prepared circumstances. Would not recommend hiking on a sunny day. Would not recommend dogs. Maybe for Peralta, but definitely not the entire loop.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

I solo hiked this on 4-9-2016. I started at 7:10 am it was 60 degrees and finished at 2:30 pm and it was 83 degrees. I went counterclockwise starting on the Bluff Springs trail for about 2.5 miles, then the Terrapin trail for 3 miles, then the Dutchman's trail for about a mile then headed back on Peralta. My hike tracker had it as 13.55 miles. I was told that since I am not used to such heat I needed to carry extra water. I took 6 liters plus two 8 oz bottles, I only needed 3 liters. I also ate 1 shotblok every mile. I stopped for lunch when I was at about the 7.5 mile mark. No shade at this point, but a big cloud covered the sun just long enough for me to enjoy the coolness. The sun is no joke here. I wore a T-shirt and a long sleeve white shirt. I rolled the sleeves up a bit and put on sunscreen. I sunburned through the shirt below the arm of the t-shirt and above where I put on the sunscreen on. I only encountered 5 people by the time I got to the Dutchman's trail and then I met 2 people there. Only 1 man farther out on Peralta. When i started getting to the more popular place, there were several people. I took 191 photographs and was lucky to see many of the cactus in bloom.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A GREEN TRAIL MAP: 2829S Superstition Wilderness

Friday, February 26, 2016

Awesome but bring enough water! It's a long hike and I ran out and almost died. Some guys gave me water when I saw them! Thank you out there!

Friday, February 19, 2016

Great hike with a rewarding view at the end. The altitude increase is gradual and consistent so it's barely noticed.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Outstanding loop - classic Superstitions.