Weaver's Needle Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(198)
Superstition Wilderness

Weaver's Needle Loop Trail is a 12.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,844 feet Route Type: Loop

Did this hike yesterday with my dad after over 10 hours (6:45am-5pm), and it is actually 13.4 miles exactly from start to finish. The app says it’s closed but that is not the case (bathrooms are locked due to Covid19 restrictions). We took over 5 liters of water together in camelbaks and barely made it without running out. Sunscreen/sunblock is super important as I burned bad even after applying SPF15 several times. Also there were nonstop little flies the whole way getting right in our faces, so bug spray would have been a huge relief. Be prepared for thistles, but otherwise the trail is pretty clear. There’s also several camping spots we saw throughout (atleast 5). Doing the entire loop in this heat is difficult and not for the faint of heart, but it is satisfying to tackle it. I’m glad I got this experience and will definitely be needing a day or two of R&R!

Loved this hike! Awesome trail and views but as mentioned before you should definitely have a buddy with you as there are snakes and it’s not a heavily trafficked loop.

This was a great hike. recommend going with a buddy not alone. lots of snakes. fresh running spring water to drink from right meow too.

Is the trail currently closed? Looks like it was hiked 3 days ago.

Fun hike - did clockwise from Peralta Trail. 5hrs10mins

Great views! Lengthy day hike, but could be split up into two days if you want to camp. We did it in one day and took us just under 7 hours. That is with multiple stops and lunch break. Many spots along the loop from which to choose, if you decide to camp. There are are a couple of moderate-steep inclines throughout the hike, but nothing overbearing. We technically did the trail backwards and ended up enjoying it thoroughly. We clicked our mileage at 13.5 miles, so about a mile more than the 12.4 that is posted. Not a huge deal, but just something to note.

Rocky...but a great hike and workout. The scenery in this area is something to see.

loved this hike. wish I would have gone a bit slower to really take in the views and avoid knee pain on the decline. definitely prepare with 2-3 liters of water per person and just a few snacks or a light lunch. I over prepared food and had extras left over. theres a nice spot to rest for lunch a little over 1/2 through. we went down to the water and dipped our feet. nice, hard hike. I would only encourage you to do this hike if you're physically fit and well prepared.

First gotta say this is a 15 miles hike, have done it twice, got 15 miles both times so did my hiking partners. Did this Jan. 4 2020, we had some rain the week before and there was plenty of water, otherwise it is usually dry. We went counter clockwise, started up Cardiac Hill on Bluff Springs Trail, intercepted with Terrapin, then Dutchman to Peralta to Fremont Saddle and down Peralta Trail. We had many seasonal stream crossings. I recommend hiking poles to the steep difficult down hills on Terrapin, the stream crossings and some of the up hills. We started at 7:40 am and finished at 5:20. I found the loose rolling scree on the steep down hills to be the biggest challenge. Enjoy!

This hike was beautiful! We did the whole loop and accidentally did some extra but there is a huge variation in the terrain as you go. We would be walking through cactus and then the next through a beautiful riparian area. It’s very green right now because of all the rain and is a beautiful hike with amazing views and rock formations.

I imagine this would be really cool, but I approached with the intent to run it. My 3-star review is for runners. I scrambled up towards Weaver's Needle about 1/4 of the way, but ultimately decided to turn around, as I couldn't discern where the trail was, and it was getting a little sketchy. I had my phone, and my GPS on All Trails showed me exactly on the trail, but it felt like I was trail blazing. I also had to wade through the river a little bit to get to the Eastward part of the loop (if you go clockwise). If I was planning on being out all day and wasn't alone, I might have pushed forward. But, if you are in a situation like me, I'd recommend an out-and-back run out this way.

Went counterclockwise, finished the last of my 5 liters near the end. Took 7 hrs 30 mins with breaks. Signs or stack rock every so often, not too hard to navigate.

Hiked this again today and it was a lot tougher than last time. Likely because today was hotter. Sections of Dutchman Trail were starting to get overgrown. The trail is relatively easy to follow, just watch for cairns and have an offline map. I again brought appx 5 liters of water and finished most of it by the end, I may avoid this full loop until it cools down significantly.

Great hike for a prepared hiker. I would not recommend this loop for beginners. If you are just starting, turn around at Fremont Saddle (check out lone tree first for an awesome view of Weaver) and then head back. Once past Fremont, you have a gradual descent down into the canyon. The trail is very well kept and not as rocky as the initial ascent. It is very easy to follow. There are some water pools after rains, but don't count on them. Rattlesnakes! As you head away from Fremont ridge, there tends to be less hikers, so rattlers are more likely to be near the trail. I encountered one fairly defensive (and large) Western DBack a week ago after the heavy rains, I spooked her as she was sunning on a rock, so she spooked me right back. Water! I carried 5 liters and felt that was just enough for day hike with no potential emergency, if I had an emergency I would have struggled. Bring more than you think you will need. Overall, one of my favorite hikes, easy trail to follow, great views, and it is very serene and calming after Fremont ridge. Just remember water and watch where you step!

Amazing hike. Took around 6 hours at a moderate pace stopping from time to time to enjoy the views. Hydrate well before you begin. I personally went through 4 liters of water and had to drink more when I got back to my vehicle!! Dirt road for several miles to get to the trail and bumpy ..

Wed Apr 24 2019

- 13.5 mile mid-April hike took approximately six hours with a full pack - ascent for the first 90 minutes is the most arduous - used 4.5 liters of water but would plan for more - views of Weaver’s Needle are superb for approximately half the hike - little fuel wood - an abundance of cacti and wildflowers - encountered 12 people and one dog through the duration

Sat Apr 06 2019

Beautiful views but bring a lot of food and water

Tue Apr 02 2019

Did the loop clockwise. Stunning wildflowers on the 1st half right now. Plenty of water of places to filter water. Minimal shade. Excellent

Sun Mar 31 2019

Fantastic trail. It took me about 4.5 hours with stops only for pictures. There are large portions of the trail where you won’t get any shade so keep that in mind.

Mon Mar 25 2019

Beautiful trail

This was a great trail. We did it in seven hours and 21 minutes, stopping frequently to take pictures of the majestic scenery and hydrating and eating snacks. We’ve done quite a few trails in the greater Scottsdale area, and this one is unique in that the mountains around it are much larger and taller. Weavers Needle itself is very impressive. The right amount of water to bring is 3 liters per person, and another liter in the car to have at the end of your hike. There are a few very steep inclines, but the views are definitely worth the effort. This is a challenging and enjoyable full day hike. The trail alternates between fine gravel, sand, ledge, boulders and rocks. Definitely bring your best hiking boots with good ankle support and rugged soles. I highly recommend this trail to anyone who is up for a challenge and looking for a amazing scenery. There are several good primitive camp sites along the trail as well, if you want to break up the hike between two days. Enjoy!