Weaver's Needle and Fremont Saddle via Peralta Canyon Trail

Weaver's Needle and Fremont Saddle via Peralta Canyon Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Apache Junction, drive about 8.5 miles east on U.S. Highway 60, then turn left on Peralta Road (Forest Road 77), which is a maintained dirt road. Continue 8 miles to the end of the road at the Peralta Trailhead.

An incredible hike for sure!
So much to see on your way up the Needle with plant of shady spots to take a mini break before continuing.
No Permit needed to go exploringout here, unless you're trying to squeeze in The Wave Cave, which you actually pass by on your way to The Peralta Trailhead.
Anyhow, bring some good sturdy shoes as the terrain can get quite rugged as you gain elevation.
The amazing needle view from Fremont Saddle is quite a reward after all that hiking!

As a senior, this trail was difficult because it was narrow in many places, rocky and not much shade. However the views are worth it especially when you reach the saddle and continue out to the overview of Weavers Needle. A bonus, the way back is mostly downhill. I have completed this trek about 5 times and now at 79, it's out of the question due to the lack of shade!!!

Nice hike good views

loved this hike

Loved this hike! All the rock formations were insanely beautiful. Took our dog out on it as well and it was perfect. Definitely coming back to do it in March for the flowers.

Was a great challenge for a beginner like me. It was all worth it. Beautiful!

Great hike out of Peralta trailhead no matter which way you go. Do not need a State Land Use permit as mentioned in a prior review.

We do a lot of hiking on a lot of different trails, this is one of our favorite! So incredibly beautiful no matter what time of year you go! It is challenging but very doable.

Drove all the way out from West Valley Phoenix to find I have to have a state trust land permit to access the area. Very frustrating! Needs to be mentioned in the description that the area requires a pass!!!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Don't listen to Dave. You can easily make the road in a car to the Peralta trailhead.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

First, you should know the last six miles or so to get to the trail head are on a dirt road. If you're in a little car - don't attempt.

This is one of the most beautiful hikes in the area - the vegetation, the birds and critters are stunning. The trail is simple to follow but it is not easy - large rocks makes it more difficult than a typical moderate trail.

Your reward is the view when you reach the top. Don't stop until you get there!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

easy, but busy. great views at top

Thursday, May 08, 2014

Well this was my first hike with my son. I decided nothing to crazy so we did Fremont Saddle returning on the Cave Trail. Along the way we met two girls who were doing this hike for their first time. So I invited them to join us and they did. I have done this hike many times and not always the same way. The weather was great and we all had a very enjoyable hike.
When we reached the parking lot we said are goodbyes. My son and I decided to hit the Wilderness Brewery for refreshments.

Thursday, December 06, 2012

We recorded this loop at 13.3 miles and took us 7 hours. We did this loop counter clockwise. So from the Trailhead, we took the Bluff Springs trail for 2.5 miles to the Terrapin trail north along the east side of Weaver's Needle. Be careful here as you need to make a sharp left to connect with the Terrapin trail just on the north side of the wash. The Terrapin trail was overgrown in some spots so long pants are a good idea. We wore shorts and got pretty torn up. You'll be on this trail for about 3 miles until you hit the Dutchman trail where you'll head west for about 2 miles to the Peralta trail. One on the Peralta trail, head south about 7 miles and you're out. It's a long steady climb up to the saddle. This loop has many elevation changes. you'll be up and down the whole way...

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Just a beautiful day for a hike. Trail was easy to follow. some over grown brush pants are a better choice than shorts. Believe me I have the cuts to prove it. The trail is long as its over 10 miles, but you get to see the four sides of Weavers Needle awesome worth the blood. I will do this again in the spring when all the flowers are in bloom and the creeks and ponds have water in them.