Weatherford Trail

Weatherford Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 2 miles north on US 180 to FR 420 (Schultz Pass Road). Turn left at the intersection with FR 557. Continue on FR 420 for 6 miles to the trailhead located at Schultz Tank. FR 420 closed in winter due to snowpack.

One of my favorites in Flagstaff. Easy to get to from town. It's not too steep but essentially a steady ascent. Lots of blue lupine wildflowers--at times they lined the trail. Terrain is very rocky in most areas. The extra 1.5 miles to Fremont Saddle is worth it for the different scenes and awesome views of the Inner Basin below. Bugs were heavy only between Doyle and Fremont Saddles. Also between the saddles I saw what looked like an overturned yellow car. Does anyone know that story? Looked too new to be a Model T from 1920's when Weatherford was taking tourists up. It wasn't the helicopter some people mention either.
From Schultz Tank parking to Fremont Saddle and back took me 7.5 hours.

I want to do a 3-4 day hike in this area. Are there reliable water sources or is it a carry all you need area? Thank you!

The trail was beautiful and easy to follow until we got past Doyle Saddle. Heavy Snow covered the path and we had to turn around because we could no longer see the trail. I posted a picture of the snow that stopped us.

great trail. although about 2-3 miles in there are alot of falling trees that you have to step your way around. I would recommend wearing good sturdy shows with ankle support. alot of loose rocks you'll be walking on. I slipped around with the shoes I was wearing. overall a pretty good trail to hike.

Enjoyable hike. Great weather. Only deterrent was a number of down trees across the trail. Snow is nearly gone and not a factor.

Great hike. We got within 1 mile from the top, but turned around due to the snow. There were quite a few downed trees, but once the snow melts and the trail is cleared of them there will be no problems. The drive to the trailhead was very well maintained. I'm not sure why this is rated as hard. It seemed more moderate than hard. Great hike, beautiful views, lots of spin off trails. Highly recommended.

Nice trail. Wish we could have gone further but we only went a few miles and were turned around by the weather. Tons of trails up in here. You could make a lot of easy loops if you didn't want to keep going up. I'd come back and try this trail again.