Weatherford Trail

Weatherford Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 2 miles north on US 180 to FR 420 (Schultz Pass Road). Turn left at the intersection with FR 557. Continue on FR 420 for 6 miles to the trailhead located at Schultz Tank. FR 420 closed in winter due to snowpack.

The trail was beautiful and easy to follow until we got past Doyle Saddle. Heavy Snow covered the path and we had to turn around because we could no longer see the trail. I posted a picture of the snow that stopped us.

great trail. although about 2-3 miles in there are alot of falling trees that you have to step your way around. I would recommend wearing good sturdy shows with ankle support. alot of loose rocks you'll be walking on. I slipped around with the shoes I was wearing. overall a pretty good trail to hike.

Enjoyable hike. Great weather. Only deterrent was a number of down trees across the trail. Snow is nearly gone and not a factor.

Great hike. We got within 1 mile from the top, but turned around due to the snow. There were quite a few downed trees, but once the snow melts and the trail is cleared of them there will be no problems. The drive to the trailhead was very well maintained. I'm not sure why this is rated as hard. It seemed more moderate than hard. Great hike, beautiful views, lots of spin off trails. Highly recommended.

Nice trail. Wish we could have gone further but we only went a few miles and were turned around by the weather. Tons of trails up in here. You could make a lot of easy loops if you didn't want to keep going up. I'd come back and try this trail again.

I always avoided Flagstaff stuff because I thought it was too orthodox. However, Mt. Humphrey was way-cool. ~17 mile round trip day hike from parking lot to peak. Can be done in a day if you're seasoned.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Very nice trail. I went in the fall, and the footing was pretty muddy. But still very worth it! The section of aspens was especially beautiful. On my trip, there was a small herd of cows beside the trail at one point. They hardly made any noise and they were hard to spot among the trees, so they startled me at first.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I'm new to Phoenix, but have hiked a lot ..this is probably one of the prettiest hikes I have done , it's moderate , challenging enough , but will not wipe you out. We went to Doyles saddle, but there are a few other connecting trails. We took our dog and he had as great of a time as we did! def worth a look , its very enchanting and beautiful. Wildflowers, birch trees, butterflies galore!

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Beautiful uphill hike through forest and wildflower meadow, awesome views at the top of surrounding San Francisco Peaks area and Flagstaff. Hiked with husband and 2 children (7 & 10 y.o) - was a little bit strenuous for the kids but they did good and didn't complain too much!

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Perhaps my favorite trail In Flagstaff. You go through the best types of terrain Flag has to offer, and the trail is beautiful Spring, Summer and Fall! You can do as much of it as you want, and the further you go, the less and less people you encounter. I access this trail via Shultz tank usually, but you can also get to it via the inner basin trail as well. I have encountered wild turkeys, elk, summer monsoons and powerful lightening which scared the bejezzus out of me, beautiful wildflowers, golden aspen trees and a general sense of serenity. Its a special trail, do it in the morning on a week day and find yourself.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

I must admit, the upper part of the Weatherford Trail, traversing Mt. Agassiz, unnerved me. Above tree-line, the steep, talus slope with no visual break of rock or vegetation between the edge of the narrow trail and a long way down caused me some stress. I felt exposed, and fixated on the idea of slipping and sliding down the mountain and over an unseen cliff.
But, finally, that stretch was behind me, and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the Weatherford trail, marveling at how a long portion of it used to be a wider dirt road called the San Francisco Mountain Boulevard, a toll road on which finely-dressed men and ladies would ride their Model T's to Doyle Saddle for an afternoon in the mountains. The road fell into disrepair during the Depression years.
Despite the section that gave me the willies, the Weatherford Trail is one of my favorite hikes in the San Francisco Peaks. My hiking partner and I made a long, 17.2-mile loop day-hike of it, beginning with the Humphreys Trail up to the saddle, then the Weatherford, and then the Kachina Trail back to our vehicle. And this would make a great two-day backpacking trip, as well.