Wave Cave Trail

Wave Cave Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Utah Travel Council, Council Hall, P.O. Box 147420 , Salt Lake City, UT, 84114, Phone: 801-538-1030, travel@utah.com

Fun hike. I've done this one twice and haven't had any problems with it

So I’m pretty sure I’m the only person in the world that managed to get lost on this trail. Just be sure to park, and literally go straight up and through the barbed wire fence :)

Fun trail with great views and the cave is awesome! Steep towards the top and a few spots to climb over some rocks - which makes it fun!

Great hike. A ton of fun and a great view. Harder towards the top.

It’s a great hike. It gets steep near the top and you really need proper hiking shoes or trail running shoes with really good grip. I saw several people fall over. I found it harder going down - loose rock etc. It took as 1.20hr going up and we are of average fitness. People had their dogs.

This is a great hike. Starts easy but gets really steep towards the top. I had to take several brakes close to the top. Once you get in the cave, it is all worth it. It is a lot cooler and worth the view. A fun hike!

Made the mistake of going when it was 100 degrees out. There’s no shade until you get to the cave. The last part of the hike is pretty steep. Had to get on all 4s to get down some of the boulders and did slip a couple times. The wave was pretty cool and we had fun taking pictures. Would only recommend going when it’s cooler outside. I didn’t find the trail difficult to follow at all.

We loved this hike. I took my 8 year old. I would recommend a hiking shoe as there is some loose rock and the end of the trail and it gets steep. At the end.It is worth the beautiful view and the cave was bigger than I expected.

cool little hike with a sweet swell at the end

Really awesome climb with a rewarding view. Saw some mountain goats as well!! lol

Great hike, lots of shade at the top. Trail was a little hard to follow at the base but got way better. My golden retriever loved the shade and sand to play in at the cave.

Totally worth the hike. Things to know: there is absolutely no shade the whole way up, but there is plenty at the top. The trail is easy to follow if you go straight through the fence and follow the trail (if it forks, don't follow the path that has rocks blocking the way on the ground). Of course, bring a lot of water.

Love this beautiful hike!

Great hike! Challenging toward the end as most have said.
From the parking lot it was actually 1.5 miles out and back, not 3 as the app says. The trail is not marked so just keep walking straight and go past the barbwire fence. Also, the road to get to it is all dirt and rock, could be a challenge for smaller cars to navigate (wish we would have known). Bring lots of water! Enjoy

Nice inline, definalty have a lot of water if it's hot outside, since towards the end it gets fairly steep. Well worth it, beautiful view.

Such a fun beautiful hike. If you bring a dog please pack the poop out. So many people leave the poop bags at the entrance. Don’t be a Ricard. Leave the places you visit how you found them.

outstanding! think this trail should be listed as difficult. it's not far but. it is steep in spots. some people may have to use their hands. but we'll worth it.. enjoy!

fun hike, a little hard towards the end but very well worth it.

Great hike, easy except the last part up to the cave itself, but well worth it

Absolutely beautiful.

Wonderful geographic feature! A must do when you are ready for climb!!! I would recommend gloves as occasionally you need the rocks to help provide balance. It is actually 3.0 miles from the gate, which is about 0.5 miles in to the walk/hike! Take a picnic and enjoy the view! Photos are so much fun to take on the wave!

Beautiful hike with an amazing view.

Wonderful hike! It’s hard... don’t let anyone tell you differently

the cave is absolutely amazing! The trails were very confusing is the only reason I rated it a 4. We got lost along with other groups multiple times. You can see the cave from the road but getting there is a task if you don't know the right trail to take. Near the cave it get a bit harder and loose gravel. My 7 year old nephew did it with a few slips and falls. This is a great hike and I would defiantly go back

Great hike, great views. Will do again for sure!!

The trail starts out as Peralta Trail then breaks off about a mile in. Instead of following signs to the right or left for Peralta, continue straight through the gap in the fence. It’s difficult to see, but if you’re not going straight towards the butte, you’re going the wrong way. Please don’t underestimate the difficulty of the last .75 miles of this hike. It’s straight up (like camelback) with no shade. Bring plenty of water and take breaks as needed. The view at the top is beautiful, but it’s definitely not a beginners hike.

To get to the trailhead you have to drive about 7 miles on a dusty gravel road. There is a unorganized parking lot and another over flow one a little bit down the road. We parked in the second one and walked back on the road. There are no signs for the Wave Cave Trail. So we just asked someone before starting. The beginning of the trail is hard to see where the actual trail is. The end of the trail is defiantly the most difficult. You will need both hands and feet. There are some spots with loose gravel on top or rock. I would consider taking traction covers for my shoes next time. Once we got to the top there were like 10 kids running around creating tons of dust! We did not even want to pull the camera out because of the dust. Eventually they left and we were able to get some good pictures. On the way down nearly all the kids were crying or complaining. Not a hike for kids.

Wow! Well worth the effort to get up to the Wave!

Great day hike!
Go on a week day to avoid the masses

great trail. a little hard for 1st timers to find the "right" trail but once there it's a fun and exhausting climb. well worth the effort up.