Wave Cave Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

historic site

Utah Travel Council, Council Hall, P.O. Box 147420 , Salt Lake City, UT, 84114, Phone: 801-538-1030, travel@utah.com

1 minute ago

Would go 1000 times again. Pretty rocky at the end but worth every second!
Bring water !!!

Need a red rock pass!!!
Amazing views. Went during the week and had the whole cave to myself. You definitly should bring a hiking stick to assist in the downward decent. Loose gravel is tricky. Took roughly 50 minutes going up. I thought it would be a much faster hike being only 3 miles but the elevation gane is over 3000’. Very dense desert vegetation once you are about halfway up the trail. Very picturesque. Would not recommend for young kids.

Did this with my dog today. Great hike! It gets a bit harder towards the end. All of the previous reviews are quite accurate.

Awesome hike! Everyone is pretty accurate that it is about 45 minutes up and a great sight! It’s amazing how good of a view you can get after just a little bit of hiking!

Go early. Hit the first parking lot. Stay to the left most the trail and through the orange fence. When we came down we probably passed 20+ people going up.

FANTASTIC hike, just when you're starting to get a little tired, you're there, and the playoff is the picture you can take.

Great hike today. Not very busy on the trail, had the wave all to ourselves for the most part.

So worth it!!!! Amazing view for a relatively short hike!

its great! ive been 4 times

What’s not to love about this cave... okay maybe the masses... the place is so busy. Other than that it’s an awesome hike! Beautiful views! Great workout! The breeze! Did I mention the view! We would have loved to get that “wave shot” but there were several people eating lunch on the top which I guess is to be expected on a Saturday in November. One thing I’d recommend is extra water. I typically have leftover water when I hike and I carry a 32 oz canister but I ran out on this trail and felt super dry. I don’t know how all these people do this hike with small 12-16 oz bottles of water?!? Also make sure you have shoes with a good grip to rock. I saw several people slide because they were wearing basic tennis shoes. My Merrill’s gripped the rock perfectly! There are some places to take a break in the shade and rest against the cool rock. Awesome afternoon!

Did this hike in February. Not too many people out on the trail, which was nice. Make sure you go through the gate and bring a lot of water; we came across a family that didn’t have enough while on the trail.

Great desert hike with a fun destination

A lot of traffic and a lot of kids and dogs, which is cool but kind of annoying.

Easy first half, moderate uphill for the last half, gets crazy busy so start early.

Excellent moderate hike. First half is very flat hiking on the creek bed. Second half is steep. Very rewarding views from the cave. Great photo ops

Loved it!!!! Went for thanksgiving hike and it was great!

Very cool hike. The parking lot was packed on a Saturday in November by 9 am. I had to hike from another parking lot on the lost goldmine trail just to get to the wave cave trail. Made for long return trip! Anyway, the hike is pretty strenuous unless you’re in good shape. The elevation gain is pretty intense in the last leg before the cave. Definitely worth it. I hiked in running shoes and wished I had a hiking shoes. There’s a lot of slippery gravel on the way down so be careful and take your time. The cave itself is pretty dusty. Amazing views!

Do not go after 4:00. Be very careful bringing kids. It’s not an easy hike at the top. More like a climb to the cave. Takes about 2hours to get up if you are a non hiker.

Great trail, the view was spectacular

Awesome trail but definitely not easy! This is my first official hike, I don’t know how but I MADE IT TO THE TOP. A big shoutout to my group who encouraged me to do it!

Definitely hard trail. Steep at the end going up and down is rough with a lot of loose rocks. But the cave is amazing! Our family loved it!

This hike is NOT MODERATE! Starts out flat but as you progress to the cave this incline gets steeper and stepper, rocky and rockier. I can’t call a 45 degree incline moderate. But it’s worth the effort, great cave and view.

This trail definitely borders on hard. The last 1/2 mile will challenge you with large rocks and a steady incline. The reward at the end is incredible. As noted by others, park in the first lot you see once you hit dirt. There is another trailhead past the first lot. You will need to walk through.a gate that should be marked with a wooden sign. We had to secure the sign with some extra wire as it had fallen down. Other hikers told us they missed the sign and spent an extra hour looking for the cave. This trail is dog friendly but is challenging for them as well.

This is a great hike. The trail is well marked, but it can be easy to lose in some areas if you are not paying attention. I went on 11/1 and there were a bunch of people on the trail around 8:30am. I would say this is a moderate hike. Nothing too intense, but will definitely work up a sweat! This is definitely a trail I would revisit.

Beautiful hike! Went off trail a few times but still made it. No heavy traffic during the week. Gorgeous views!

Probably one of the coolest caves in the area, very nice to relax in after the final pump to the top. Trail can get a little crowded at times so I’d recommend going early.

Great trail, it’s an adventure finding it but worth it. We ran into a rattlesnake while on the trail, no harm done but just keep your eyes and ears peeled, scrambling near the cave can be difficult to downclimb on the way out for sure

Trail is a bit challenging to find.

Great views.

This is more of moderate/difficult hike.

BEWARE of rattle snakes. Stay on the trail, mosdef.

Awesome hike in the desert! It took around 2 hours to complete the out & back trail.

Fun little quick hike with some scrambling at the end near the cave. We were surprised how big the cave was. Beautiful area!

Great hike until the last few hundred feet, it becomes a little steep. Great views from top and very rewarding