Wave Cave Trail

Wave Cave Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Utah Travel Council, Council Hall, P.O. Box 147420 , Salt Lake City, UT, 84114, Phone: 801-538-1030, travel@utah.com

Great hike, the last 1/4 mile is a scramble but worth it

Beautiful views and a great cave, but not moderate if you do whole trail. No shade, so do it really early. Thank goodness for the encouragement of Boy Scouts or I may have quit the last quarter mile. You will use all of your water on this one. Agree that the trail was poorly marked. We were easily diverted multiple times. Usually trails are much easier to follow than this one. We did see a rattlesnake along the way, so use caution since the vegetation is heavy.

I would consider this trail more akin to rock climbing than hiking in some areas. The cave was okay - very populated with people and dogs.

Not very clearly marked. This app gives you a general path but we still went off the way a couple times. Recorded it on the way down so I have in the future. Great view. Plan for 1hr up and 45 min down. I wouldn't do this with my dogs but some dogs were on the trail.

Make sure you don't park on the side of the road AND have your state land use pass. Cops were there on the way back to the lot issuing warnings and making people go online to purchase their pass.

such a fun hike, beautiful views

Reviews are spot on:
You need to have an AZ State Land Trust permit to park. Or park at your own risk.
Trail is poorly marked and often not at all. This app helped but there are a few spots that it was off.
Overgrown in several areas so wear shorts at your own risk.
Loose rock and very slippery in areas. Weak ankles beware.
Might need to do this trail again in order to enjoy it better. Views are spectacular as always in this area.

Amazing hike, early spring in the desert not to be missed! This is not an "easy" hike. Last 1/4 mile or so to the cave is very steep and rocky. We had trekking poles and I am glad we had them, helped us out on the way back down more than I would have thought. Also very warm and would agree with others that this is not a good hike for young children or pets in warmer weather if you are thinking of going all the way to the cave and back to the trailhead. Would definitely do this again!

AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Best hike yet

NOT GOOD FOR DOGS! We stopped early after seeing a dog who had rubbed its paws raw on the rough rocks. My dog is a seasoned hiker and paws were sore even on a shortened version.

Beautiful hike though. A great workout.

Got lost at first. Make sure to go left once through the orange fence. Great view. Nice and shaded at top. Legs were definitely feeling it by the end!

I'd consider this moderate to difficult. That last bit up is hard! Heart was pumping and legs were burning. Gorgeous view and worth the scraps and cuts. But wowzers...it was more difficult than expected...
Go early...other posts said "mostly shaded" but the only shade we had was in the cave.

Great little hike! Compared to many of the hikes in the Superstitions, I would say that majority of this hike would be considered easy but the last 1/4 mile is rock scrambling that will get your heartrate up! I feel like way too many people just gave up before they got there - they were so close! It is a really neat shady cave up top filled with lots of sand. Our little chihuahua did just fine too but had to help her up a couple of parts. We would do it again! The orange gate feedback helped for sure but even with it, there are a few tricky parts so follow the map on here for help!

Thank goodness I read previous reviews before hiking. Thanks to all that wrote the helpful hints on the trail. This is a must do!! Beautiful!