Water Wheel Falls

Water Wheel Falls is a 2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Short hike with wonderful views and the option to continue up to the Ellison Creek Cascades. If you're in the area it's worth the trip. There is no official trail. It's more a trail of use that skirts away from Water Wheel campgrounds.

The first 1/3 of a mile is fairly easy. At this point you come to the confluence of a couple of streams. You do need to cross the stream here. A lot of people were having problems with the stream crossing. From here you have another 3/4 of a mile up the canyon to the locked gate. I had all of my kids in tow (ages 14-6). The only one that required assistance every now and again was my 6 year old daughter. It was a fun hike. It seemed like most of the people stopped at the confluence.

I would not consider this an easy trail. There are boulders you have to climb over and some steep areas. It was fine for my husband, me and my ten year old but it is challenging for very young children (my four year old) and it would be difficult for older people as well. The setting is beautiful and worth the short hike!

Beautiful hike! Lots of diversity in terrain, was a lot of fun to navigate through with my 9yr old and husband. Be prepared to get your feet wet as you have to cross the creek.

Beautiful hike! My 7 year old really enjoyed climbing all the rocks. I loved all the views of the waterfalls! There were way more than I expected! Had a lovely little picnic and dipped our feet in the water. You can go as far out as you want or not far at all and can still have a great time with great views. Easy to find too! Will definitely go back!

Easy for about .25 miles then you have to climb over rocks to get to the waterfalls. Nice regardless how far you decide to go but the falls make it a five star. we were here after heavy rain winter. March 2017

Pretty easy half hike-half climb trail. Basically an adult playground!

It was an amazing trial if I do say so myself

Beautiful.

Nice trail. Great views with a smack box canyon and a bunch of cascades. Rock hopping opportunities for great views of falls. Much quieter than I thought it would be

This was so much fun with the kids. I don't recommend small kids to do this trail but it ends with a waterfall.

We couldn't figure this trail out BUT we had fun.. never made it to the falls I think we took a wrong turn somewhere... the trail is not easily marked.. but so pretty and worth the hike... the weather was perfect!

Great scenic adventurous easy trail, trail itself confusing but stay near water for best views, keep going till u hit the private property sign