Water Ranch Trail

Water Ranch Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Gilbert, Arizona that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

paddle sports

The Riparian Preserve is an urban park with a series of loop trails surrounding seven ponds stocked with fish and birds. Several species of birds and waterfowl live in the preserve. The park has several amenities.

My go to urban hike when not wanting to drive that far.

loved it.so cute and quaint! not in mountains. its like a nature center and national forest type.

It is not real hiking. It’s more of strolling but beautiful sightseeing. See a lot of bunnies rabbits hummingbird ducks quails It was a bit confuse with the trails even I use the trail map but we can’t lost anywhere nice fragrance when I walk

Great place to go for a relaxing walk while enjoying nature and wildlife. Lots of birds, ducks and occasionally American pelicans. Also has an observatory for planet or moon viewing on Friday and Saturday nights.

Nice easy walk/stroll around the lake. Friendly ducks. A lot of families and couples. Plenty places to sit and relax.

easy walk lots of birds super easy to get to.

Quite an enjoyable break from the usual desert scenery. Plenty of water, shade, and wildlife. Great for kids, more of a stroll than a hike.

Easy to get to and works for a variety of people.

It was ok, to many people but easy.

Amazing biodiversity in the middle of the desert

Went hiking on this trail with the whole and it was very enjoyable. Not much elevation gain so it is great for all hiking skill ranges. Lots of wildlife for my biologist daughter to see.

Saw so many wonderful birds from dozens of hummingbirds to the precious little owl in the ladies's restroom (complete with directions to 'Do Not Disturb') to egrets and 2 stately pelicans who should sign up for synchronized swimming and diving at the Olympics! We tried to hustle a little to do the exercise thing, but there were SO many delightful distractions! Only complaint....no maps or bird ID charts in the box, so we wandered a bit.

Pleasant urban hike on paved and gravel walkways. Very easy (and popular) with lots of options to choose your own loop.

Great for a gentle walk and viewing birds. too bad sooo many dog owners do NOT pick up. sidewalks trails and beside littered with dog poop. site is smelly and you will bring that home to your car on your shoes!

So many birds to see! Easy to walk and many places to sit and enjoy!

Nice walk, very simple. We loved seeing all of the birds, especially the two pelicans.

I enjoyed this trail. The trail went a few different ways so wasn't sure where the entire loop was but managed to figure it out. More directional signs might be nice. A very clean area and beautiful wildlife. Great for families and out of town guests.

One of our favorite places for a quick, last minute hike in Gilbert. Right next to the public library which has lots of parking - that is usually where we park since the parking lot at the actual park is small.
Great for kids, pets, bird watchers, photographers, everyone. some trails allow horses back riding. Lots to explore& see right inside city limits. If you go in the summer I recommend going early in the day - it is NOT a higher elevation & is just as hot as the surrounding area.
There are bathrooms, campgrounds, a playground, and one pond you can fish in next to the library.

great leisure trail. Took my mom here to get her out. It's perfect for beginners or those that want to spend some time taking a stroll through a preserve.

my favorite relaxed walk yet while in Scottsdale. nicely done here & although it's crowded there are a variety of paths and lots to see. we saw a plethora of water birds, rabbits, turtle, humming birds and many other regular birds. Lots of great views for photographers too.

Great trails we walked the entire preserve with no hurry and was finished in 2.5 hours. Lots of little areas and side paths to explore, plants to see, and wildlife. My husband and I explored this with 3 kids (6-10). Only draw back is there are LOTS of people with dogs fortunately on leashes but Im terrified of dogs! It is heavily trafficked but everyone was friendly, smiled and even said hello.

Overall a very fun Nature Walk!

There are Seven lakes here.
The best bird watching ever.
Fun for the whole family.

My favorite place to walk my dog when I’m in a pinch. Great little trails with water and always something to see. Lots of wildlife. Bunnies and birds galore. Watch for rattlesnakes. My kids love the play area.

Love this place

A stroll, different ducks to look at, not beautiful lakes, a nice place to stretch your legs.

Nice spot to take our dog for a walk. She loves the bunnies!

This is a hidden gem of the valley. It’s great way to get out of the house for a leisurely and beautiful stroll. There’s so many different animals to admire here, I couldn’t believe that it’s just in the middle of Gilbert. I’m grateful that this area exists and even more so that it’s free!

Great for families! Beautiful scenery and lots of animals to see. Very easy hike but can get very crowded at times. Great spot for bird watching.

perfecto!