Waterhole Canyon Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Page, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 305 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

This trail is now only accessible with a tour company.

I just arrived here It’s feb 2020 THEY WANT $56 per person I did not go in

recorded Waterhole Canyon Trail

private property

Leave the kiddos at home but not too difficult

private property

Excellent hike with a great guide. Only possible to walk this trail with a guide (approx. $56 per adult) —you’re shuttled to the end of the trail and then walk through the wash and the canyons back to the parking lot; a 2 mile easy hike although there’s a few narrow and steep places to navigate. We had an excellent guide, we were only 12 people (=max hikers per trip) so there was plenty of possibilities to ask questions etc. We had decided not to go to Antelope Canyons because of the crowds and this turned out to be the perfect alternative. Would definitely do it again were I given the chance, and it comes recommended.

Tried to hike the beautiful trail today because everything we read said dogs on lease allowed. But apparently that isnt true. Drove out there and were NO DOGS ALLOWED! Too bad for them, they wont be getting our money and will be getting a negative review.

Loved this trail. I’ve always heard about antelope canyons but this is a hidden gem. At first we were bummed to learn that we needed to have a tour guide to get into the canyon, but he made our experience much better than it would’ve been. Our tour guide Jason was very knowledgeable and showed us all of the best photography places. It felt like a private tour, with only my family and two others on the tour. Their limit is 12 people per tour which provides ample time to take photos and ask questions. It was $55 per person. The hike itself was easy, but definitely hot. I’d recommend bringing two or three water bottles with you, in a backpack. I wore Chacos and I was fine, but the sand got hot and wished I had closed toe shoes on for parts of it. Overall, I’m so glad we got to experience this and I for sure will be recommending this place to friends & family.

Very informative on history of canyon. We didn't mind paying a 56.00 dollar permit guided tour fee, it was nice to see hike-slot canyons litter free.

Amazing photo hiking experience with friendly Native American Indians. Didn’t have to make a reservation, just had to show up at the entrance and pay $56 to get on the tour. I was the the only one at the tour, so if you don’t like crowds, check this out. You can find useful info at http://waterholecanyonexperience.com/

Tue May 07 2019

this is an early trail and is recommended to go early. take your camera. the guide is amazing! very helpful and patient never rushes you!

Sat May 04 2019

A must see while you are in Page! I went with a girlfriend and we are both mature women. We tipped generously as we both thought it was an absolutely unforgettable tour with stunning scenery and it was so much fun. Chad was our guide and he’s is very knowledgeable with the area and with our iPhones for photos :) Some areas down there can have water and be slightly slippery. In a couple of areas we stepped over rocks to avoid the water. But Chad offered to hold us by the hands as he helped us through the stairs and the few slippery slopes there can be. It’s a recently created guided tour at $56 per person. They made the tour guided because of problems with people who were leaving behind garbage and graffiti. The area has also been closed off for anything motorized. I highly encourage you to go take this tour to see what’s around the next corner.........

Sun Apr 21 2019

Amazing place to see...no crowds......9 people in tour.... Jason our tour guide was very knowledgeable.. spent 2 hours in canyon. Don't miss out

Wed Mar 27 2019

This slot Canyon experience was amazing! Took my two kids ages 7 and 9 and they loved it and got around no problem. When you pull into the place, you pay for a tour $56 for adult and $40 for the kids (I believe) and a native tour guide will take you through. They shuttle you to the top of the canyon and you hike 2.5 miles back to your original destination. I highly recommend it. Totally shaded and cool on a hot day!

Tue Mar 26 2019

this was such an awesome experience!! decided to explore waterhole instead of the overcrowded antelope canyon. my family and i were the only ones on the tour which allowed us to really enjoy our time. it was really special, especially because of our freaking cool tour guide jason. really amazing experience, truly unforgettable and so worth it!!!

Fri Mar 01 2019

An amazing experience, I was the only one at my tour time so I got a private tour with guide Jason (cool dude). He could answer anything and everything about the canyon. the canyon itself is amazing. Similar formations to Antelope Canyon and amazing rock textures. Barely anyone does this tour compared to Antelope so it's much more personalized and is more adventurous. I had a great time and plan on bringing the family when we all come out here.

Sun Nov 25 2018

beautiful hike easy enough for the whole family,

Tue Nov 13 2018

This was an amazing hike with a brilliant tour guide named Shane. So glad we did this adventure. The canyon was gorgeous and we had a small group.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Great hike! Permits are no longer available, and it can only be done with a tour guide. That being said, the company that does the tour (Waterhole Canyon Experience) are very nice people and is a good price ($48 as of this writing). It’s not well known (yet), so my tour group had only 3 people in it, making it very easy to enjoy and take photos. Most people are going to Antelope Canyon.

Tue Oct 02 2018

Wow! amazing spot. We had an amazing Solo (!) 1.75 hours tour with Waterhole canyon experience. This slot canyon is intense and wildly preserved- much less touristic than the over crowded and rated antelope. Totally a must visit next time around.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Great hike I went when it was free a year and a half ago but it’s great not as picture perfect as antelope canyon but great none the less.

Fri May 18 2018

So here’s the deal. We went to the permit office and they told us they only sell permits to the left waterhole canyon - and that you need repelling equipment to get down (and they’d have to see it). They also sell permits for the rainbow bridge (a 18mi trail). And to just go to the trail head for a guided tour. They started this may 1st. We got there and it is $35 per person for a 1.5ish hour tour with a guide. They said they did this because there was so much garbage and vandalism happening in the canyon (so sad- the guide showed us where they had to scrub it off). So we went at 10am on a Friday - it was beautiful and we had six people in our group and one tour guide who was very nice and waited for us while we all got our pictures. No other tours happening at the same time. No rush at all and still a very cool canyon. They drive you to the end in a van and you walk back, so no in and out.

Sat May 05 2018

Stopped by to check it out today-5/5/18-and found that they are charging $35 per person for a guided tour that takes 2.5 hours. I failed to ask if they allow self guided tours but I really doubt it based on the setup they have there.

Tue May 01 2018

Be careful, the site is managed by a private company from today. It’s 50$ per person to visit the canyon with a guide. So disappointed.

Mon Apr 30 2018

One of the most interesting hikes I’ve had. Great fun.

Mon Apr 30 2018

Just a few things we encountered today; The “Horseshoe Bend Tour” company no longer sells the passes. We had to trek to the green and white trailer behind the LeChee Health Clinic to get the passes, it was kind of a goat f*ck finding it but we finally did. BUT, the guy informed us that they would no longer be selling permits after this week as the trailhead is being taken over and managed by a private company. So beware when planning. Other than that, finding your way down into the canyon is kind of confusing, and the entire trail through the canyon is like walking through 6” of beach sand for 3 miles. So if that’s what you’re looking for, this is your hike!

Wed Apr 25 2018

Nice trail. I did it without a permit because the permit place was closed. I tried to call them before but they didn’t answer the phone. No one asked me for a permit.

Wed Apr 18 2018

We enjoyed this one. Yes easy but beautiful. I would do it again. We did it on Saturday afternoon it was lightly traveled so nice.

Sun Apr 15 2018

One of my favorite hikes ever. Beautiful and interesting very low traffic slot canyon that we were able to explore on our own (in April 2018): all we had to do was obtain a permit from the Navajo Tribal Office in advance. Even my child who does not like hiking loved this hike.

Tue Apr 10 2018

It is beautiful short hike, pretty easy. There is a problem with a ladder at one point. The ladder is to short to climb up safely. We did not completed the whole hike because of this obstacle. We met couple people from the park who are working on it, so hopefully next time we will be able to climb this safe. Overall great experience and we have amazing pictures .