Waterhole Canyon Trail

Waterhole Canyon Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near LeChee, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Dropped down into the slot canyon near US89 then headed toward the Colorado River. Came upon an unlucky deer that was quite ripe and foul so immediately turned around. Continued upstream for 2.0 miles or so where the canyon opens up. On the return opted to pop out half way back and take the Waterhole Canyon high trail which was a pleasant option. Highly recommended (when there is no rain in the forecast!).

Permit can be obtained at 290 Cowboy Ray Rd. Costs $12 per person. Please carry cash - they won’t accept card. Office is open only on weekdays. You are only allowed to go up to the power lines. Only one very wobbly ladder to climb.

very cool slot canyon. a little vague on getting in. You must have a permit. Got ours at LeChee office. go behind the building in the middle. it's a little white trailer. To get down into canyon follow the stone piles and pick your entrance. I ended up sliding on my bottom to our entrance. The canyon is awesome. For us the end was tricky. They told us there were 3 ladders and most people walk out from the top. we only got to 2 ladders. first pretty scary looking but doable. second is a T post leaning against a tiny squeeze up.!! Hardly a ladder!! My husband had to pull me up! never saw 3rd ladder. and according to my map the end is at great Wall. If we had known. we would have stopped there. But, all in all great trail. We had gone to antelope earlier, this was just as awesome. Red, and very brown rocks

If you don’t wanna pay $50 something for the antelope canyon do this hike instead . You will need a permit to do this hike which you can get at the Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tour for $12

Hidden gem not talked about in the tour guides. Easy hike once you climb down the entrance.

It wasn't worth getting and paying the permit for. The canyon wasn't very impressive or interesting.

All I can say is I could leave my trip feeling ecstatic if this was the one and only trail that I got to do. I can't imagine that the trash tours in upper and lower antelope could even compare with the giant crowds being cattleherded and told where to stand. Do this instead and you won't be disappointed. You'll also save $56 per person.