Waterhole Canyon Trail

Waterhole Canyon Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near LeChee, Arizona that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Dropped down into the slot canyon near US89 then headed toward the Colorado River. Came upon an unlucky deer that was quite ripe and foul so immediately turned around. Continued upstream for 2.0 miles or so where the canyon opens up. On the return opted to pop out half way back and take the Waterhole Canyon high trail which was a pleasant option. Highly recommended (when there is no rain in the forecast!).

Definetly worth your time, getting down into the canyon maybe difficult for beginners or children.

This short hike was a great surprise. Once you follow the cairns to the edge of the ravine, they lead you right into a beautiful sandstone slot canyon. It starts out quite open but it turns into beautiful sculpted walls with some ladder climbing. This is Navajo land so be sure to get a permit from the local office before you park on weekdays.

Did it with our five kids 5-15 and they all loved it. Two of us went to upper antelope canyon but this hike helped provided the slot canyon experience for the others without the big price tag.

Wonderful and uncrowded canyon for a leisurely hike away from all the crowds! There are no trail markers here so we followed these makeshift rock stacks that lead towards the canyon and was able to find our way down with our two large dogs. Not recommended for senior dogs or dogs with mobility issues because there were sections where it was a bit slippery and technical to get down and up. We went west towards highway 89 and reached under the bridge where somebody had left a note that there was a dead cow if we continued west so we turned around and headed east. The canyon opened up and we were in full sun for a bit but it was a beautiful fall day and very nice. I would love to come back again without dogs so we can explore further as we were not able to go up/down ladders with 2 x 80lb dogs 

You will need some agility and upper body strength if descending into the canyon on the east side of the highway. There are several ladders to use when changing levels once in the canyon base. Best to not be alone. Backcountry permit required. The trail is maintained by the Navaho Parks and Recreation agency and we bought permit from Adventure Tours, Horseshoe Bend located behind Burger King. Cost is $12/person and placed on your dash. You need exact amount in cash. Some tight spots and narrow so best time would be mid day.

Permit can be obtained at 290 Cowboy Ray Rd. Costs $12 per person. Please carry cash - they won’t accept card. Office is open only on weekdays. You are only allowed to go up to the power lines. Only one very wobbly ladder to climb.

very cool slot canyon. a little vague on getting in. You must have a permit. Got ours at LeChee office. go behind the building in the middle. it's a little white trailer. To get down into canyon follow the stone piles and pick your entrance. I ended up sliding on my bottom to our entrance. The canyon is awesome. For us the end was tricky. They told us there were 3 ladders and most people walk out from the top. we only got to 2 ladders. first pretty scary looking but doable. second is a T post leaning against a tiny squeeze up.!! Hardly a ladder!! My husband had to pull me up! never saw 3rd ladder. and according to my map the end is at great Wall. If we had known. we would have stopped there. But, all in all great trail. We had gone to antelope earlier, this was just as awesome. Red, and very brown rocks

If you don’t wanna pay $50 something for the antelope canyon do this hike instead . You will need a permit to do this hike which you can get at the Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tour for $12

Hidden gem not talked about in the tour guides. Easy hike once you climb down the entrance.

It wasn't worth getting and paying the permit for. The canyon wasn't very impressive or interesting.

All I can say is I could leave my trip feeling ecstatic if this was the one and only trail that I got to do. I can't imagine that the trash tours in upper and lower antelope could even compare with the giant crowds being cattleherded and told where to stand. Do this instead and you won't be disappointed. You'll also save $56 per person.

This slot canyon rivals Antelope canyon and has the added benefit of being free (not counting the permit required to purchase before hiking) and able to hike on your own with no time restriction. PERMITS ARE REQUIRED TO HIKE ON THE NAVAJO RESERVATION. One can be purchased in Page for about $10 per day (I believe). Waterhole is located 7 miles south of Page on Hwy 89, at mile marker 542. Park just past the bridge in the small gravel lot and walk through the gate. The hardest part of the hike is getting down to the bottom. Scramble down near the bridge being careful with the sandy footing. There is no designated trail anywhere in the canyon. Once on the bottom, hike East. Hiking West puts you in an area only open for tour company's. Plus there's technical climbing/rappelling involved. The East side of the bridge is the only area open for individual hikers and is also the easiest to navigate. The slots begin fairly quickly after the bridge with the narrowest walls 3-4 feet apart, just wide enough to walk through. A couple miles in, there is a ladder or two to climb. There's also an area where you must be lifted or hoisted up about 10 feet. It only seems possible with a hiking partner to help, otherwise I'd say this is an excellent place to turn around. The slots continue past this place but not very far. I hear it starts up in other places and there are a few forks to follow. I only saw one fork. Excellent short, easy hike! Lean on the side of caution with the weather, opting out if it's sprinkling or thundering.

Such a beautiful hike! I absolutely loved it. Not too challenging at all. And yes the ladder to continue is a bit sketchy but it is pretty sturdy. There's is a about 3-4 feet that you have to reach for at the top of the ladder but I'm 5'4" and it wasn't too bad at all. The rocks were spectacular! Definitely will be doing this hike again.

Parking is right near Mile 542. Trail is easy to follow. There was an iffy part involving ladders but it can be skipped if you don't want to climb up. Pretty views and not very crowded. Would recommend.

I really enjoyed this hike (went alone as my bf did the antelope canyon photographer tour & it was perfect timing); but it was difficult to get a parking pass, and the only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5. When I reached the end of the slots trail, about 2.5 mi in, I found a large family of adult & baby cows... being alone and having them stare me down was somewhat intimidating and although I wanted to trek further into the open valley, I chose to turn around and head back into the slots. The valley at the end is also beautiful, and I would've loved to seen the overlook... next time!

Took friends on a weekend hiking adventure. This hike was easy to get to off hwy 89 and does require a permit sine you are on the Indian reservation. The hike is easy and we all enjoyed it very much.

Great Trail. Easy to get to