Water Holes Canyon

Water Holes Canyon is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near LeChee, Arizona that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and ice climbing and is best used from April until December.

ice climbing

This slot canyon rivals Antelope canyon and has the added benefit of being free (not counting the permit required to purchase before hiking) and able to hike on your own with no time restriction. PERMITS ARE REQUIRED TO HIKE ON THE NAVAJO RESERVATION. One can be purchased in Page for about $10 per day (I believe). Waterhole is located 7 miles south of Page on Hwy 89, at mile marker 542. Park just past the bridge in the small gravel lot and walk through the gate. The hardest part of the hike is getting down to the bottom. Scramble down near the bridge being careful with the sandy footing. There is no designated trail anywhere in the canyon. Once on the bottom, hike East. Hiking West puts you in an area only open for tour company's. Plus there's technical climbing/rappelling involved. The East side of the bridge is the only area open for individual hikers and is also the easiest to navigate. The slots begin fairly quickly after the bridge with the narrowest walls 3-4 feet apart, just wide enough to walk through. A couple miles in, there is a ladder or two to climb. There's also an area where you must be lifted or hoisted up about 10 feet. It only seems possible with a hiking partner to help, otherwise I'd say this is an excellent place to turn around. The slots continue past this place but not very far. I hear it starts up in other places and there are a few forks to follow. I only saw one fork. Excellent short, easy hike! Lean on the side of caution with the weather, opting out if it's sprinkling or thundering.

Such a beautiful hike! I absolutely loved it. Not too challenging at all. And yes the ladder to continue is a bit sketchy but it is pretty sturdy. There's is a about 3-4 feet that you have to reach for at the top of the ladder but I'm 5'4" and it wasn't too bad at all. The rocks were spectacular! Definitely will be doing this hike again.

Parking is right near Mile 542. Trail is easy to follow. There was an iffy part involving ladders but it can be skipped if you don't want to climb up. Pretty views and not very crowded. Would recommend.

I really enjoyed this hike (went alone as my bf did the antelope canyon photographer tour & it was perfect timing); but it was difficult to get a parking pass, and the only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5. When I reached the end of the slots trail, about 2.5 mi in, I found a large family of adult & baby cows... being alone and having them stare me down was somewhat intimidating and although I wanted to trek further into the open valley, I chose to turn around and head back into the slots. The valley at the end is also beautiful, and I would've loved to seen the overlook... next time!

Took friends on a weekend hiking adventure. This hike was easy to get to off hwy 89 and does require a permit sine you are on the Indian reservation. The hike is easy and we all enjoyed it very much.

Great Trail. Easy to get to