Wasson Peak via Sweetwater Trail

Wasson Peak via Sweetwater Trail is a 9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

2007 feet

cave

This is one of a few routes leading to Wasson Peak. Leaving El Camino Del Cerro trailhead, you will follow Sweetwater Trail until you meet the junction with King Canyon Trail. The signs at this intersection will point you north towards Wasson Peak.

Just do it!

Great trail! Amazing views from all of Tucson.

Beautiful trail and not too steep, even at the end. Great views at the top.

Pretty tough for someone like me who does not get out and hike everyday. The last bit is a tough one, as other reviewers have said. The view is great though. You can see all of Tucson, 360 degrees! Loose rocks and steep switchbacks made descending a little scary.

I've done this hike a few times and love the destination for its beautiful views. On clear days you can see Picacho Peak along with some distant mountain ranges. I've seen lots of animal life on this trail, including deer and javelina. When I went today a saguaro had fallen across the trail at one point. I walked right over it where the needles had worn away, which was an interesting experience.

We started at 10:30 am and arrived at the top at 1:30. Only the last 1.2 miles were steep and a bit challenging

It's a long hike around 11miles round trip. Bring lots of water and start early. Great views from the top. Some of the best views I have seen in Tucson. No water on trail, very dry surroundings. Not much shade either.

This hike was great! Very distinct trail and mostly flat. The last 1.2 miles is the hardest part going to the peak but gradual with switchbacks.

Scenic hike with a beautiful reward at the peak with a 360 degree view of the area on a clear day. Despite the elevation gain, it's not too strenuous. Most of the elevation gain is in the mile right before reaching the peak which still wasn't that bad. We went the day after Christmas and saw few people until we reached the junction about a mile away from the peak.

To add to my review, we started from Hugh Norris up and not sweet water. No traffic and that was nice.

My friend and I did this hike yesterday starting from the north side up. 9.8 miles total and what a beautiful view!

Sunday, November 06, 2016