Wasson Peak via King Canyon and Hugh Norris Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(503)
Saguaro National Park

Wasson Peak via King Canyon and Hugh Norris Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,863 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Great views, plenty of wildlife, and the high point of the Tucson Mountains. This hike follows King Canyon Trail to the junction with Sweetwater Trail, then to Wasson Peak. All trailheads are clearly marked with signs, and the trails are easy to follow. There is an admission fee at the Saguaro National Park Visitor center.

Great hike. Beautiful views at every turn. I went clockwise. Had the benefit of some shade early in the morning going that way. 7.8 miles. Time was 3:06. I went off the trail a few times to enjoy the views.

Really enjoyed this hike today. Might have been a bit crazy starting just after 4:00 PM, but I made it to the peak and finished the loop before it got fully dark. Wonderful views of Tucson and the valley to the west.

This is one of my favorite trails in Tucson. Some strenuous bits when hiking to the peak, but all in all a great hike.

Incredible trail with many unique sites and scenes. Trailhead is before saguaro park so no fee (just after desert museum on the right side). Went counter-clockwise and started at 530 AM, worked like a charm!

This is a trail I always have felt confident hiking alone. It’s not overcrowded but there always seems to be a few people here and there. I love that it’s the highest peak in the Tucson Mountains. It really does offer some stunning views and you don’t necessarily have to summit to see them. I think this is a great half day hike/trail run and you can expect to see some wildflowers in March/April. I ended up chatting with a gentleman who told me he had hiked it 87 times and it made me really happy. Leave no trace! Happy adventuring! Check out my local AZ Adventures on Instagram @saritamendez

Really nice trail. We did the loop counterclockwise. Our favorite part was when we were on the Hugh Norris section of the trail. Took us 3.5-4hrs which included a 20min rest on top. I am slow going downhill due to chronic knee issues otherwise it would have been closer to 3hrs.

Awesome hike. We went clockwise which had fantastic views on the way up. Beautiful hike and well maintained. Not much of a scramble in my opinion which would have been a bonus, but was a super hike. The gradual incline made the elevation very moderate. Would definitely recommend.

Really pretty trail! Took about 90 mins to the top and I went counter clockwise. If you start early you can have the peak all to yourself :)

I did this loop counter clockwise yesterday. Great tour of the park including the peak. Gives you a chance to hike some of the Hugh Norris Trail, which is a beautiful ridge line trail. 4.5 hours but spent about 30 minutes on the summit eating lunch.

Hiked with Mandy. Time difference compared to hiking alone can be seen from previous hike a few weeks prior. Still a good hike. Many ways to get to the peak.

Cool temps, breezy, overcast and a maintained trail made this a great day hike! Clockwise, gradient stairs and incline; on return, rocky and scramble. Wildflowers in bloom and views are unsurpassed!

Moderate hike just die to length done by myself. Some nice wildflowers near the top. Highest peak in the Tucson mountains with a view I'm every direction. Plenty of ways to get to the top.

I fell in love with this hike in March on an overcast day. I went counter clockwise (recommend). My favorite part was descending the sandy hill side just after the wasson peak. So much biodiversity. And the sand is a breeze to walk on. I was tired by the end of this hike.

A great hike. I don’t give many 5 stars but this got it. Took about 3:40 to complete, on a nice gradient with beautiful views throughout and just enough gradient nearing the peak to present a rewarding challenge. We started about 8:45am on a sunny 70 degree day... very little shade so any later/hotter I definitely recommend appropriate gear to protect yourself. Also, don’t know if I missed something but never had to use my parks pass to get to the trailhead. Didn’t see a booth either.

Really pretty trail! Lots of yellow wildflowers along the trail- the reviews are right, it is rocky and there is no shade but if you go on a day when the temps are in the 60s or 70s it’s absolutely beautiful! There are so many cacti and saguaros! It’s a long hike, but a must!

A great hike on an overcast March day. We went clockwise on the loop and the trail is very well maintained going up in that direction. More loose rocks going down. Great wildflower display on this day!

Loved seeing the old mines... good hike, but long drive to get here... not sure I’d make the drive again. That’s not to say it wasn’t a great trail!

recorded Wasson Peak Trail

Relatively easy trail, windy conditions on top

Great trail! Very well maintained. The peak is beautiful. I went counter clockwise and I wish I would have gone clockwise. I think the views going down into the valley would have been better because on my way up I kept turning around to look behind me!

An awesome trail with a nice gradient and view.