Wasson Peak Trail

Wasson Peak Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,863 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Great views, plenty of wildlife, and the high point of the Tucson Mountains. This hike follows King Canyon Trail to the junction with Sweetwater Trail, then to Wasson Peak. All trailheads are clearly marked with signs, and the trails are easy to follow. There is an admission fee at the Saguaro National Park Visitor center.

I did evening hike on full moon eve... one can see whole Tucson city from summit... it was phenomenal view ... full moon on sky and city with lights ....

recorded Great Views

Beautiful views.

Fun trail! My friend and I did it early July, so we started around 0530 to beat the heat and were done around 0950. It took the sun about an hour past sunrise (that day, sunrise was at 0519) to get over the mountains and start beaming down on you. We were super lucky and happened to get cloud coverage almost the entire rest of the way up. If not, the trek up would've definitely been a lot harder. It took 90 mins to get to the top, we stayed at the top for almost an hour (nice spot for a picnic/some pics), then 2 hours to get down. We did a loop and followed the route by this person: https://socalhiker.net/hiking-wasson-peak-in-saguaro-national-park/ We each carried a gallon and a liter of water just in case but only drank about 2-2.5 liters for the roundtrip. I'd still recommend carrying more than you may think; you never know with the dessert heat. It was probably moderate difficulty; there were times my heart rate was going and my legs were tired, but overall not too bad. However, my legs were pretty tired the rest of the day. I almost wore my Merrell trail runners but am glad I stuck to my normal running shoes. It's pretty rocky, and I don't think my Merrells would've offered enough sole comfort.

Beautiful scenery! Loved it!

Amazing trail. Make sure to get enough water. Extremely Rocky so good shoes are important. Can get very windy.

Beautiful gradual climb. From the first saddle, the view is Tucson spreading out along the desert floor. The peak is a nice wide perch to relax, snack and meet other hikers. The entire trail is exposed. Plenty of water and electrolytes are essential.

This trail is difficult for beginners. I started at the Camino del Cerro trailhead and went up to Wasson Peak and then back via the del Cerro trail. Climbing up to the peak is difficult as it is very steep and be careful because there are a lot of loose rocks along the trail. The views at the top of peak however are amazing and it’s really rewarding to see just how high you’ve climbed. There also an abandoned mine along the way which is cool. Plus there are tons of wildflowers and some cactus flowers as well right now.

Nice. We concur with the suggested route King’s Canyon then Hugh Norris. Trail signs can be a wee bit confusing going down. Keep an eye on the map that you download before you go. Esperanza crosses Hugh Norris. Go to the left of Hugh Norris toward the picnic area. Not to the right. We did not but almost did. Great flowers on the way down. Definitely the prettier side. Same time up and down. Poles were helpful. The loop is more about the journey then the destination. Enjoy.

KK&P say it’s a flowernanza!.

Left the trailhead at 7 am and took the King's Canyon trail to the NE up to Wasson Peak. Huge diversity of spring wildflowers in bloom, and with the first cactus just starting. Amazing views from the top down onto Tucson and the the surrounding valleys and over to other mountain ranges. Took the Hugh Norris trail back down to the west, as indicated on the map (take a right turn over the ridge on your way back down from the peak). That was well worth it for different views and because I saw a Gila monster sunning itself on the sandy trail. Also lots of other lizards, a velvet ant, hummingbirds, and some raptors overhead. Took the left turn onto Sendero Esperanza Trail and then the Gould Mine trail back to the car. Four hours door to door with stops for the views, photographs, etc. As others note, there is no shade and bringing lots of water and some snacks is necessary. Trails were well signposted and on this Friday morning I was relatively alone on the trail. I did cross paths with an Arizona Conservation Corps group heading up to work on the trail - thanks for all you do!

While this is potentially the best hike in either Saguaro's, I still feel like the point is to walk amongst and through them, not above. It wasn't very well marked when I did it in late 2017 but I remember it was well maintained otherwise. If you want more Saguaro's, go to the West side as it's lower in altitude.

This route was tough up Kings Canyon on mostly loose rock. Hugh Norris trail down was a good reprieve, much easier trail to navigate.

The way up is unrelenting steep switchbacks that I would rate difficult. The view at the top is worth it and the way down was easier with lots of pretty wildflowers.

This was a great hike. The view from the top was amazing. There was nothing out of the ordinary to report on trail conditions so get out and enjoy.

Great trail for avid hikers! Would definitely recommend.

This trail was awesome!! Definitely was tough in parts with the switchbacks but totally worth it from the views you get. Seems like you can see all the surrounding mountains from here. Since it was my first time I got a little turned around on the second half of the loop but had no problems with service so was able to check the AllTrails map. Would recommend starting early 1) the sun! There is barely any shade on this trail and 2) because being at the summit by yourself is pretty amazing! It gets busy, so if you’re looking for more seclusion start early! Bring lots of water and sunscreen. Worth every step!

This is a good challenging hike went up Kings Canyon to Wasson Peak came down Hugh Norris - Sendero Esperanza to the Kings Canyon wash. Views where great and trail was very well maintained. Will repeat this wonderful hike. As stated previously water water water and sunscreen!

Had an enjoyable hike. Went up on Kings Canyon trail and returned via Hugh Norris/Sendoro Esperanzo/Gould Mine. I found it a little more rugged going up but my knees enjoyed the more gradual descent. Wildflowers were popping aplenty. still some snow on the north faces.

Yesterday we hiked to Wasson Peak, the day after it snowed in and around Tucson. There was still quite a bit of snow laying around when we hiked up, but not too much. It was a clear, sunny day and from the peak we were able to see many of the mountains around Tucson, including Mount Lemmon. They were snow capped and beautiful! By the time we went down, much of the snow had melted. We were able to see wildflowers along the way.