Walnut Canyon Island Trail

Walnut Canyon Island Trail is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

historic site

It has been more than 700 years since Walnut Canyon echoed with the words and sounds of a vital pueblo community. You'll see 25 cliff dwelling rooms along the trail; more are visible across the canyon. Spectacular canyon scenery and plantlife. Strenuous, especially for those not acclimated to 7,000' elevation. The trail descends 185 vertical feet into the canyon, and returns the same way. The trail is paved, but not accessible to wheelchairs, due to steep canyon terrain and many stairs.

Beautiful canyon and cool dwellings. My 9-year-old struggled coming up, but he made it (and he's lazy). Well worth the trip.

Going down was no big thing. Coming up is tough but they have plenty of benches. Be aware you are above 7000 feet. Definitely made me breathe a little harder coming up, since I'm usually at 1000+ feet. LOTS of cliff dwellings to look at and explore. Nice little park.

fairly busy. Very interesting and beautiful. careful with the stairs as people who can't walk far or tire easily may have problems. bring the kids.

Great hike for families with kids. Awesome views and lots of information plaques along the way. The trail is very well maintained and the majority of the steps are at the beginning/end of the loop.

awesome, awesome, awesome!

Great hike, lots of stairs but soo worth the great look into Walnut Canyon dwellings.

Where desert and woolands merge. Great walk with lots to see. nice visitors center. Steps are no problem.

Hard to believe until you actually see it, great history and views. Stairs aren’t to bad but there are a lot of them.

The pure serenity blended with a light snow shower really adds to the wow factor of this canyon. Thinking about the history of the canyon's use truly puts things in perspective.

What a beautiful and historical area! The paved trail was great for our family that ranged from 3months to 62. Well worth the several hours we spent. Saw deer and birds. Lots of stairs but little breaks got us back up! Not your usual primitive hike but one I would recommend!

A beautiful setting filled with rich history, fantastic views, and a good burn on the way up all the stairs. It's a short hike, but well worth it, especially if you go up and down the stairs twice.

Loved the trail. Hiked with a group of kids and they all did well! Paved and not very natural but it’s cool for what it is. Hiked it back in July

Awesome scenery

Really awesome to see the dwellings!

9/7/18, A.M. After Wednesday’s fiasco at Doe Mtn., wanted to try this one out. Great trail for me in that it’s paved and many incline areas have handrails, not to mention the path is not narrow! Great points of interest with info and great views along the way. Have water handy, needed more so on way back up (those stairs are a cardio/heart rate killer! lol). The history and views are awesome. The fact that you get to actually be inside the Sinaguas’ dwellings is amazing! A must do hike!

I love this little trail. It's not very long, but the stairs back up make it physically satisfying. the canyon is beautiful, the plants are interesting, and the history is fascinating. It amazes me that such a gem is so close to town -- just a freeway exit out of Flagstaff. I like to visit this park every time I visit Flagstaff.

It's so interesting! Many rooms under the rocks. It's funny to live here.

More of a tourist walk than a hike, but so interesting to learn about the living conditions and culture of the Sinagua tribe and how they lived during the 1100s and during the period when the San Francisco peaks were active volcanos. The steps will get the heart pumping. There is a $10 fee per person as it is a national monument. If you are looking to hike Walnut Canyon, there are other more authentic trails.

Excellent trail and not too difficult a trail with good views of the park.

So nice

Lots of stairs, but we did this with children (ages 8-12) and they did it no problem. Fun with lots to look at on the way. Would definitely do it again.

Nice walk. Lots of wildlife. Good info from the rangers. Take it slow coming back up esp. if it’s hot out.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Nice quick walk! So different from the Grand Canyon but as beautiful to explore. I do not recommend for people who cannot handle stairs. My mom had a hard time going back up. But easy for most.

Monday, May 07, 2018

The cliff dwelling make it worth dealing with crowds. Good quick “walk”, more than a hike. The stairs are the only thing that will get you a little winded.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

Nice! Interesting for sure.

Friday, April 06, 2018

This was an awesome unexpected hike. We stopped by because it was close and we needed to kill some time, but it ended up being a highlight!!! The kids loved the Indian ruins and they really are super cool!!!! But, wow...A LOT of stairs! My kids (11, 8, 5) did this but it was tiring! Plus, there are some areas that do not have railings. As a mom I was stressed in parts, but I would do it again. But I wouldn’t recommend for younger kids unless they are being carried.

Thursday, March 29, 2018

An unexpected and really cool stop on our way from Bryce to Grand Canyon. We aren't usually big on human history, but this monument was well worth our time.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Well maintained trail with beautiful scenery. Definitely a good trail worth my trip.

Monday, March 26, 2018

Nice informative hike! Plenty to see! Trail is paved. The climb back up is a bit of a chore but not bad at all. Fun!

Monday, March 26, 2018

Fairly easy hike, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was a little winded going up the stairs on our return back though. We went around noon and there were a good many people there. Definitely neat little hike and great view.