Vulture Peak Trail

Vulture Peak Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wickenburg, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Absolutely amazing trail! The views from the mid point were very unexpected!

Very impressed with this hike! Parked at the first trailhead and it added a bit more than an extra mile to my journey. Weather was ideal. Saw only 3 other hikers on my way up and about 6 more coming down. I only hiked to the saddle because I didn’t trust a steep unmaintained trail with my feet. Going up was waaaay easier than the trek down. Need good shoes and balance! Lots of scrambling over rocks but the views are so worth it!!

Beautiful trail. One of my favorites outside the valley. Start early and you will miss the afternoon crowds. I think it meant to say best used October to March and not the other way because this trail is exposed and would be extremely hot in summer. I would not do it even with 3 liters of water. The snakes alone would deter me. It is a bit of a boulder scramble to the top of the mountain but it is not really hard. I wish I could’ve done the technical part I will save it for next time. Amazing views at the saddle. If a horseback rider I would not go past the gate at the 4x4 parking lot. Too technical for a horse with even a good rider. I only say that because we ran into some ladies on horses about to make their way up. There is really no where for a horse to turn around.

Loved this trail. It is well marked. When you pull into the lot keep going another half mile to the trail head. When you reach the gazebo you are there. The last part of the trail is hard but worth the view at the top. Even in December it got a little warm in the afternoon in the sun. If you go to the top it is further than 3.8 miles probably closer to 4.5 - 5 miles round trip depending on how much exploring you do.

Nice trails took our dog's.

Was good hike. Harder when getting to the top. Loose rocks, but view was worth it.

Hiked this trail a week ago. Its decent. Havent hiked in a while, so it kinda ripped me a new one.

Just choose a mountain and climb it, no matter how big or small!

off road driving

Compared to other reviews I'm not sure if we did something wrong, but the trail map does not start at the road entrance, so we ended up walking far before even starting the trail. This trail seems much longer than 2 miles (one way) and my father and I barely made it up the base and first elevation of the peak. Tons of Cholla cactus so beware, I got a small piece stuck to my shoe and tried to remove it but ended up with spines in my finger - super difficult to remove. Walking on river bed is a bit annoying unless you have shoes made for sand/dirt. I personally would go on this trail if I had an ATV, but not walking.

The view at the top is something to see! You feel far away from everything.

When you come across an intersection of direction in the wash be sure to go straight and not on to the off-roading trail to the left. Great views at the top and other places to explore to the opposite side of the saddle.

Fun hike -- the trail stops at the saddle but there's somewhat of a path to the top if you're up for some scrambling. Very isolated, though. We didn't have any cell service and didn't see anyone else.

A really nice hike. The desert is so green right now from all of the rain the cactus and flowers are blooming.

Nice quick hike fun scramble to peak

Just beautiful. After the trail ends around the saddle, you can still climb to the top, but it is definitely harder. The view is worth it.

Friday, January 20, 2017

Very easy access not requiring a 4wd vehicle. Trail to base of mountain is very nice and the switchbacks made it available to anyone. Once at the saddle it was easy to ascend to the top and take in the awesome view. Also some cool little caves and boulders to explore- all the while dreaming of beer back in Wickenberg. I give this trail 5 stars due to accessibility, trail quality, with a bonus scramble to the top of Vulture Peak with blustery views of the surround ing areas.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Last part up to the peak is a scramble, but doable. Nice view from the top. We hiked from the lower parking which is accessible to all cars.

Monday, October 24, 2016

this trail is my favorite trail yet outside if Sedona or flagstaff. the views are gorgeous and the hike was unmanicure (which I loved).

Monday, May 02, 2016

moderate trail until the last 25%, then the "hard" part kicks in. amazing view & worth every minute

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Map link location for start point in-accurate. Trail start point not next to road. Required a gravel drive in past a few rv's .. The key to stay on trail across and past washes and such ...trail will have fence with metal v type thing that you step over look for that. Download map ahead of time. Second the drive to the turn off not correct drive past what it tells you follow Tar road drive south will take a hard left turn off to your left is right there. Drive about 500 yrds the little roof type thing you should see the fence with the v metal step over. If you can't find that you will be disappointed. Good luck ok hike ,, over look standard AZ . Trail Footing is good, download map. Did I say download map lol

Monday, April 07, 2014

Great short hike! There are two trailheads: one in the main parking area (by the little gazebo) which will take you through a couple of miles of desert and wash before you get to the climb, or the upper trailhead (through the gate, down into the wash, straight across the ridge in front--follow the tracks--into the second wash, then take a left. You'll see where the trail rises out of the wash again, and it's easy to follow from there. Definitely need 4wd to get there.) The upper trailhead is right at the start of the climb, but I honestly enjoyed the first trailhead and the quiet walk through the desert. Even if you only hike to the saddle, which doesn't require any scrambling, the views are worth it.