Vineyard Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roosevelt, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,837 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail passes through a variety of Lower Sonoran Desert vegetation plant communities. Spectacular views of Roosevelt Lake, Apache Lake, Roosevelt Dam, and Four Peaks. Historic Camp O'Rourke located near the east terminus.

parking is on the side of the highway near the sign that says Arizona Trail. you have to walk across the highway to the sign that says AZ 88 and that is where the trail begins. the hike is absolutely gorgeous and I would love to do it again but the gnats made us miserable. we were swarmed with hundreds of them that followed us the entire hike! they were trying to go in my nose, my mouth, and every time I stopped moving they would all land on my legs and arms. they didn't bite, but I hated the feeling. I will probably try to go back in winter to see if the gnats are gone then. if you are willing to brave the gnats, I recommend long pants and sleeves. I hiked this without hiking poles but also slipped (but didn't fall) a few times going back down because the path is all loose rocks. if you make it to the 2nd saddle you get a lovely view of Roosevelt Lake on one side and Apache Lake on the other side.

We saw a gila monster crossing the trail about 1 mile into the hike!

Great trail but recommend sticks for the decent back down the steep rocky slopes near trail head. Wildflowers were amazing and it is worth the extra 200yard walk down the road to a clearing and overlook for lunch.

Surprisingly beautiful trail. Lots of different wildflowers. Great views. It seemed like there was a new surprise every half mile. I turned around at 2.5 miles when it was apparent the scenery was about to hold steady. Views of Apache Lake, and Four Peaks were nice. First 1.5 miles is a steady climb, but not too tough. Walking sticks are advised as the loose gravel in many spots makes the hike back down a bit treacherous.

Really wanted to rate it lower, but the flowers were blooming nicely, there were no snakes, and the weather wasn’t that bad. Although, there is no shade of any sorts unless you want to go off trail. Went midday so snakes were chillin. There is no need to actually finish this trail. Once you get to the Saguaros, nice rock cliff with all the bloom, you’ve gone far enough and there nothing else needed to be seen after that. If you do finish might as well walk the road to a better sight just to your left. Went with my buddy Broke Back Mountain (not the movie guy, he’s a big guy and he broke his back 3.5 months ago). We took our time and finished.

The views are absolutely amazing.... The first mile and a half is pretty tough but hang in there the views are well worth it!!! It’s getting warm so you need to start early....

Definitely a difficult first mile and a half compared to the rest. Not achievable for all moderate trail hikers, but worth it for the scenery for those who can.

We did this hike on February 15th. Let me start by saying this trail, while not technically difficult, was on the moderate to difficult side. The first 1.75 miles were a consistent uphill climb, with a couple of scrambles up granite in between. It’s not a dangerous trail, but it is a climb, and I wouldn’t bring kids under 15 or so. The trail is good for an enthusiastic dog or two. The temps were just right at about 72 degrees. There was quite a bit of wind on certain parts of the ridge, so bring a long sleeve shirt along. It’s a mostly gorgeous hike, with views of Roosevelt Lake and the Salt River at times. Wow! Bring trekking poles to help you with the trip down, as it gets a bit slippery through the loose rocks. Overall a great hike, but be prepared to sweat!

First mile has some steep parts. Only went about a mile in and had some very nice views.

Wonderful hike for an overcast day in late November. The trail is in great shape. It is on the strenuous side of moderate. The views are spectacular. Highly recommend!

Definitely a new favorite! beautiful 360 views and tons of wildlife

Super beautiful hike and I had the whole trail to myself on a Sunday morning! Lots of wildlife, first mile is a little steep but nothing much. Wear long pants!

Thu May 30 2019

Would highly recommend waiting until the temps cool down to tackle this hike. There is no shade, and the first mile or so is very steep and rocky. Extremely buggy (swarms). The trail begins getting narrow and overgrown at around mile 2 and I had a scary black rattlesnake encounter. It’s hard to see where exactly the snake is when it’s rattling at you due to the overgrowth, which was pretty scary. It’s a beautiful trail, but a little too isolated for a solo hike with current conditions in my opinion. I do hike solo frequently without being afraid.

Wed Apr 03 2019

we hiked down from the Mill ridge trailhead. this early April the wild flowers were in full bloom and the hills totally green. The grass was waist-high. it is one of the prettiest hikes we have ever done in the Roosevelt lake area. the views of Roosevelt lake and Apache lake were phenomenal.

Sun Mar 17 2019

This was a beautiful hike! So many changes in terrain as you come around new peaks and different sides of the mountain. The first mile is definitely strenuous, but then it levels out at the top. Very dog friendly as this is not a heavily trafficked trail.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Steep but oh so scenic

Fri Jan 18 2019

Probably my favorite hike from the week I spent in Arizona. First mile is the most strenuous but then it levels out and you can enjoy some incredible views. Lots of wildlife in the area as well.

Wed Dec 26 2018