Viet Springs

Viet Springs is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This hike starts with a gentle climb behind the trailhead sign. On the other side of the hill the trail opens up revealing a fork; keep right, going downhill on the open meadow. The trail does have a few forks, but always take the Trail marked fork. The trail gently winds through the Aspen forest, eventually crossing under small power lines and opening up to a large boulder with a plaque honoring Lamar Haines. Continuing left, you will see the cabin of an 1892 settlement by Ludwig Veit (site was used for cattle and sheep operations). The trail does make a loop, but you can also return on the same route as going in. Note: This trail requires a back country permit through April 15th.

Winding path through Aspen's, Meadows, Forest, boulders. Remember to smell the woodsy air. The trail is well marked too. It's amazing. we missed petrographs though. we would go back again. We signed in at the trailhead. The sign says we needed a permit until April 15th but we didn't do that since it's 70 degrees, sunny and others were out there. we saw coyote tracks, fox scat but no elk. Maybe next time.

This was a nice, mostly easy hike, and I am in poor health. Went with my 60 yo husband and dog, who was off leash the entire time. We went on a Saturday afternoon around 1 and only saw 2 people going in as we went out. There is one area (around 1/2 mile in, I think) where the trail marker tells you to go to the left, but we only saw some boulders and didn't really see a path, so we kept along what looked like the main trail. We figured out later that that was the part with the petroglyphs. Oops! If you DO skip that little part, the hike is 1.8 miles. Mostly smooth and we were able to walk 2 wide. There were a couple sections with some fallen trees, but were easy to step over. The last 1/2 mile was pretty uphill and I had to stop and rest, but remember I'm in poor health. I'd like to do it again, though!

Turned this little walk into an all day adventure by going off the path near the monument, and heading into the forest. After passing some wilderness markers, came across a huge hill of boulders reaching a few hundred feet over the valley floor, with long views over the tree tops. Lots of vertical that required some dog lifting, but no special equipment required. Back at the bottom, found the wells over the Springs. Most impressive is the ancient well hidden in a cave at the base of a lava flow, marked by rock art. Bottom line, get off the trail and explore.

Went in June. Took two dogs and a 4 year old on this trail, as well as some family of varying ages including someone carrying an infant. Everyone loved it ... parts of the trail are through the aspens, there is an historic cabin ruin, and a lovely spring that is piped a few yards down hill from the source to make a little pond.

My wife and I really enjoy taking a break from Phoenix and walking this trail.

So pretty! Saw lots of green and little wildflowers :)

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Took my family on this hike age 7-12 and was very doable for everyone. There are some site ruins to explore and the adventurous can do some rock climbing on the escarpment.

recorded Viet Springs