Verrado Petroglyphs

Verrado Petroglyphs is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Buckeye, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

historic site

Enjoyed the rocks and foliage and the views. However, trails were not well marked so gave me less confidence as to where they led. Next time I would go on some of the other higher trails to see different views. Petroglyphs were very cool. Unfortunately, they had to be protected behind fencing, but could see them up close! Also the directions using this app we inadequate and there was no access. After asking people in the neighborhood, we ended up going south on Verrado to Lost Creek Dr near golf course greens to find the limited parking at the trailhead. A good day none the less.

amazing trail

There are many visible trails but they are not marked, making navigation difficult. Using a GPS is very helpful. The hike itself is easy and the petroglyphs are cool. I saw several lizards and a roadrunner. I would recommend taking the "short loop" instead of this hike since it takes you closer to the isolated "mountain" and there's really nothing of interest on the north boundary.

Nice trail but need hiking boots. There are lots of loose rock and some ledges to climb. Rail not well marked so need gps and you’ll be fine great day

This is a great trail. My 5 and 9 year old hiked it. It is rocky in spots. The petroglyphs are amazing and unlike others in the local area. We were able to hike this trail in running sneakers. Great views of downtown Phoenix. The one problem is the limited parking at the trailhead but I’m sure that will change in the future as the sign read Verrado temporary trail system. All in all a really fantastic hike.

Make sure you have hiking shoes. My daughter had on Nike Running shoes and kept getting cactus prongs stuck in her foot so then the complaining started and we turned around.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017