Ventana Canyon Trail

Ventana Canyon Trail is a 9.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

I’ve done this twice. Quite steep at the end. Great views.

Double the water you think you will need if your not used to the dry air of the area. Beautiful views,very rough terrain, wear long pants due to the cactus and other prickly plants. Hike was longer then 10 miles.

Lightly travelled trail. Crossing a creek many times.

Bring water! We took off from Leows Resort not knowing what we were getting into. Made it all the way with 16oz of water. Very scenic and worth the effort.

This is rated accurately. I left at 6 am which I recommend to beat the heat. Took me about 2.5 hours yo get to the top - cathedral rock. Beautiful views - lots of scrambling - recommend wearing long pants as trail isn’t cut back or maintained. Challenging but worth the effort. Ended up with 14 miles total - got back to the hotel by 11 am - bring at least 2 L water. Very fun

Outstanding hike. However, I only hiked up to Maiden Pools, which were for the most part dry and not worthy of a swim. Great views and smells. Nice marshy area at the lower elevations, followed by a steady but not too steep gain. A few cool picnic rocks and shady coves and tree covered areas.

Great hike but very difficult. It is worth it to continue to the 'window'. It took us 4hrs to get to the top.

Super good views but definitely a hard hike.

We started at 5:30am and on the way back it was hot! I don't know how many times I did this trail and each time I still think it's an excellent workout.

Pay attention to the trail

Found this trail pretty difficult, but beautiful. A lot of rocks and boulders to climb over, and steep. We went a little over half way up and back. About a 1/2 mile from the parking lot we had a rattlesnake siting. A four foot black-tailed. He gave up plenty of warning with his rattle. He was crossing the trail, and we were about 6 feet away when we heard and saw him. Be careful!

This my second year hiking this trail. I got 45 min. past Maiden Pools this year. Love hiking the trail.

Beautiful wildflowers

Saw a huge rattlesnake. Thank god I wasnt running down the trail. It saw me first, hissed, rattled and then slithered back into the brush. This was about a mile and a half in. During the start of my hike today a couple warned me about a baby rattle snake about a mile in.

In short, one of my most favorite hikes, but watch out-- it's rattlesnake season FOR SURE.

The first 1.5 miles are relatively flat with a big kick up before maiden pools. The pools are as far and I went- they were beautiful. Water was running but they were a bit dry. Be careful as the rocks are pretty slick thanks to frequent water erosion. There were many water crossings that I could see being challenging when flowing- most of them were totally dry today. Wildflowers were in full bloom and in combination with ventana canyon views made for stunning visuals the whole way. I WILL be back to get to the window!! Over doubling my 5.2 miles with substantial elevation gain will be a hike of a lifetime for me!

Well worth the hike. Beautiful views!

get an early start if sunny. difficult, steep

Beautiful views the entire hike

Feb 1-4, 2017: Ventana Canyon Trail to Esperero Trail to the Window Rock to Window Peak to Cathedral Rock Trail to Sabino Canyon Trail to Romero Pass to Romero Canyon Trail and out at Catalina State Park. Four days and three nights.

Ventana Canyon Trail is beautiful! The hike over the ridge before Maiden Pools is a little steep and we lost the trail for a bit but this app was very helpful. The Maiden Pools are delightful and well worth the effort for a day hike. Since we got a late start, we camped the first night a mile or so up trail from Maiden Pools. The next day we headed up the canyon to the Esperero Canyon Trail and headed to the Window Rock. The trail was quite icy moving up to Window Peak, where we camped on the pass. The next morning we headed down the pass towards Cathedral Rock, continuing on Esperero Trail. The trail was quite snowy with tracks of only one other hiker, but plenty of tracks of big cats. We left Esperero Trail to head up on Cathedral Rock Trail. The south side was clearly marked but a fairly grueling push to the pass. The trail on the north side of the was not well marked and clearly no one had been through in quite some time. This app was very helpful as there were few cairns and the trail coming down was very overgrown and quite snowy. This was probably the most challenging part of the trip. We eventually connected with the West Fork of Sabino Canyon Trail #24 which had some long gentle switchbacks to Romero Pass. The trail was well marked and fairly well maintained--a number downed trees over the trail in some sections that the USFS hadn't gotten to yet though. We camped our third night on Romero Pass, which rewarded us with splendid views down Sabino and Romero Canyon. On our final day we continued down Romero Canyon Trail past the delightful Romero Pools and exited at Catalina State Park. We carried a GPS but rarely used it; this app was very reliable and helped us stay on trail (or find it again) many times.

This hike was beautiful. Be prepared to walk through the water a few times, and bring plenty of water. I wouldn't say it's hard, maybe moderate. Trekking poles may be helpful on the way down as it is quite steep.