Ventana Canyon Trail

Ventana Canyon Trail is a 9.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Pay attention to the trail

Found this trail pretty difficult, but beautiful. A lot of rocks and boulders to climb over, and steep. We went a little over half way up and back. About a 1/2 mile from the parking lot we had a rattlesnake siting. A four foot black-tailed. He gave up plenty of warning with his rattle. He was crossing the trail, and we were about 6 feet away when we heard and saw him. Be careful!

This my second year hiking this trail. I got 45 min. past Maiden Pools this year. Love hiking the trail.

Beautiful wildflowers

Saw a huge rattlesnake. Thank god I wasnt running down the trail. It saw me first, hissed, rattled and then slithered back into the brush. This was about a mile and a half in. During the start of my hike today a couple warned me about a baby rattle snake about a mile in.

In short, one of my most favorite hikes, but watch out-- it's rattlesnake season FOR SURE.

The first 1.5 miles are relatively flat with a big kick up before maiden pools. The pools are as far and I went- they were beautiful. Water was running but they were a bit dry. Be careful as the rocks are pretty slick thanks to frequent water erosion. There were many water crossings that I could see being challenging when flowing- most of them were totally dry today. Wildflowers were in full bloom and in combination with ventana canyon views made for stunning visuals the whole way. I WILL be back to get to the window!! Over doubling my 5.2 miles with substantial elevation gain will be a hike of a lifetime for me!

Well worth the hike. Beautiful views!

get an early start if sunny. difficult, steep