Ventana Canyon Trail

Ventana Canyon Trail is a 11.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Fantastic views!

Went up to the peak, kicked my butt. Rewarding. Beautiful. Right in the backyard.

My wife and I hiked this trail a week after Finger Rock. This trail offers spectacular Rock cliffs and formations besides Window Rock. We went to the very top 11.71 miles. We didn’t go over to Window Rock as we were running out of time. We are both in our sixties but loved the hike.

This one has it all... elevation gain, distance, changes in nature, great views, and some water (maiden pools). A great challenge! Bring a LOT of water!!! And plan on taking several hours to complete the whole round trip.

Important: Alltrails doesn't show this hike going all the way to the Window (which Ventana Canyon gets its name from). You'd be nuts to hike this difficult trail and just end at the trail junction as shown. Plan to go the little bit further to the ridgetop for a rare bit of flat walking, with views of Tucson on one side and Biosphere2/Oracle on the other, and then the big payoff Window Rock itself (a natural arch) up another short climb. Bring fully twice as much water as you think you'll need. I've hiked it many times, and always take at least two very full 2L camelbacks plus a backup 20oz bottle (so nearly 5L total). I have still run out in the summer, with an hour+ to go (strongly advise not hiking this at all in summer, and definitely not for the first time).

I’ve done this twice. Quite steep at the end. Great views.

Double the water you think you will need if your not used to the dry air of the area. Beautiful views,very rough terrain, wear long pants due to the cactus and other prickly plants. Hike was longer then 10 miles.

Lightly travelled trail. Crossing a creek many times.

Bring water! We took off from Leows Resort not knowing what we were getting into. Made it all the way with 16oz of water. Very scenic and worth the effort.

This is rated accurately. I left at 6 am which I recommend to beat the heat. Took me about 2.5 hours yo get to the top - cathedral rock. Beautiful views - lots of scrambling - recommend wearing long pants as trail isn’t cut back or maintained. Challenging but worth the effort. Ended up with 14 miles total - got back to the hotel by 11 am - bring at least 2 L water. Very fun

Outstanding hike. However, I only hiked up to Maiden Pools, which were for the most part dry and not worthy of a swim. Great views and smells. Nice marshy area at the lower elevations, followed by a steady but not too steep gain. A few cool picnic rocks and shady coves and tree covered areas.

Great hike but very difficult. It is worth it to continue to the 'window'. It took us 4hrs to get to the top.

Super good views but definitely a hard hike.

We started at 5:30am and on the way back it was hot! I don't know how many times I did this trail and each time I still think it's an excellent workout.

Pay attention to the trail

Found this trail pretty difficult, but beautiful. A lot of rocks and boulders to climb over, and steep. We went a little over half way up and back. About a 1/2 mile from the parking lot we had a rattlesnake siting. A four foot black-tailed. He gave up plenty of warning with his rattle. He was crossing the trail, and we were about 6 feet away when we heard and saw him. Be careful!

This my second year hiking this trail. I got 45 min. past Maiden Pools this year. Love hiking the trail.

Beautiful wildflowers

Saw a huge rattlesnake. Thank god I wasnt running down the trail. It saw me first, hissed, rattled and then slithered back into the brush. This was about a mile and a half in. During the start of my hike today a couple warned me about a baby rattle snake about a mile in.

In short, one of my most favorite hikes, but watch out-- it's rattlesnake season FOR SURE.

The first 1.5 miles are relatively flat with a big kick up before maiden pools. The pools are as far and I went- they were beautiful. Water was running but they were a bit dry. Be careful as the rocks are pretty slick thanks to frequent water erosion. There were many water crossings that I could see being challenging when flowing- most of them were totally dry today. Wildflowers were in full bloom and in combination with ventana canyon views made for stunning visuals the whole way. I WILL be back to get to the window!! Over doubling my 5.2 miles with substantial elevation gain will be a hike of a lifetime for me!