Ventana Canyon Trail

Ventana Canyon Trail is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Finally hiked Ventana canyon trail to the window. I've always wanted to get to the window and I finally did it! Perfect day for it. 4 hours up, 3:35 down.

Stayed in a Condo sitauted right at trailhead. We used the trail a couple times for morning exercise before it got too hot! So only went halfway up. To that point about 2.5mi and 1000' elevation gain. Nice easy to moderate trek with some good views of the canyon.

Nice trail well indicated

When you get to the top of the saddle go easy to Window Rock. Another mile or so. Best hike in the Tucson area I think.

Well developed trial. Easy to follow. Turn left to Esperero trial to see window rock. Took us about 11 hours to Window rock and back. We are a group of hikers without much experience.

Beautiful Tucson day and beautiful hike. A bit rocky but navigable. Little water in the pools. A little past the pools the vegetation change to more green with trees. Prettier. Make sure you watch for the cairns along the way. Would do it again.

Breathtaking views but kind of a drag that to get to the trail you have to walk a mile through an easement with barbed wire fence on either side. Large rocks/boulders cover a large part of the trail and the trail is not well marked. It’s a great workout because of elevation gain. I experienced a spiritual tranquility being surrounded by
what really can only be described as the majesty of nature.

Today we tried to get to the window but after 3.93 miles up we decided it was time to turn around. Boy, we were all too tired and the heat certainly didn't help either.

Beautiful view, dry, make sure you have enough water.

Window Rock is about a mile from the summit. I’ll try and GPS it this week if I get time.

Can anyone tell me how much further it is from the top of the ridge line over to Window Rock? Text me at (520) 603-4602 . I would appreciate it. My wife and I made it past the Finger Rock trail sign to the top of the ridge but couldn’t tell how far it was to Window Rock from there. We thought we’d run out of time not knowing the distance over.

Fantastic views!

Went up to the peak, kicked my butt. Rewarding. Beautiful. Right in the backyard.

My wife and I hiked this trail a week after Finger Rock. This trail offers spectacular Rock cliffs and formations besides Window Rock. We went to the very top 11.71 miles. We didn’t go over to Window Rock as we were running out of time. We are both in our sixties but loved the hike. Wish we knew how much further it was to Window Rock from the top of the ridge line. Can someone let us know. Text at 520-603-4602 but please do not give out this number. Thanks

This one has it all... elevation gain, distance, changes in nature, great views, and some water (maiden pools). A great challenge! Bring a LOT of water!!! And plan on taking several hours to complete the whole round trip.

I’ve done this twice. Quite steep at the end. Great views.

Double the water you think you will need if your not used to the dry air of the area. Beautiful views,very rough terrain, wear long pants due to the cactus and other prickly plants. Hike was longer then 10 miles.

Lightly travelled trail. Crossing a creek many times.

Bring water! We took off from Leows Resort not knowing what we were getting into. Made it all the way with 16oz of water. Very scenic and worth the effort.

This is rated accurately. I left at 6 am which I recommend to beat the heat. Took me about 2.5 hours yo get to the top - cathedral rock. Beautiful views - lots of scrambling - recommend wearing long pants as trail isn’t cut back or maintained. Challenging but worth the effort. Ended up with 14 miles total - got back to the hotel by 11 am - bring at least 2 L water. Very fun

Outstanding hike. However, I only hiked up to Maiden Pools, which were for the most part dry and not worthy of a swim. Great views and smells. Nice marshy area at the lower elevations, followed by a steady but not too steep gain. A few cool picnic rocks and shady coves and tree covered areas.

Great hike but very difficult. It is worth it to continue to the 'window'. It took us 4hrs to get to the top.

Super good views but definitely a hard hike.

We started at 5:30am and on the way back it was hot! I don't know how many times I did this trail and each time I still think it's an excellent workout.

Pay attention to the trail

Monday, May 08, 2017

Found this trail pretty difficult, but beautiful. A lot of rocks and boulders to climb over, and steep. We went a little over half way up and back. About a 1/2 mile from the parking lot we had a rattlesnake siting. A four foot black-tailed. He gave up plenty of warning with his rattle. He was crossing the trail, and we were about 6 feet away when we heard and saw him. Be careful!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

This my second year hiking this trail. I got 45 min. past Maiden Pools this year. Love hiking the trail.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Beautiful wildflowers

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Saw a huge rattlesnake. Thank god I wasnt running down the trail. It saw me first, hissed, rattled and then slithered back into the brush. This was about a mile and a half in. During the start of my hike today a couple warned me about a baby rattle snake about a mile in.

In short, one of my most favorite hikes, but watch out-- it's rattlesnake season FOR SURE.

Monday, March 27, 2017

The first 1.5 miles are relatively flat with a big kick up before maiden pools. The pools are as far and I went- they were beautiful. Water was running but they were a bit dry. Be careful as the rocks are pretty slick thanks to frequent water erosion. There were many water crossings that I could see being challenging when flowing- most of them were totally dry today. Wildflowers were in full bloom and in combination with ventana canyon views made for stunning visuals the whole way. I WILL be back to get to the window!! Over doubling my 5.2 miles with substantial elevation gain will be a hike of a lifetime for me!