Vault Mine Loop

Vault Mine Loop is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Madera Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I have hiked this loop a few times, and you can do it in either direction. However, hiking up the Vault Mine trail is a lesson in what a steep trail is all about. After a few times ascending the Vault, I no longer choose that option. It's bad enough coming down it. So I hike up the Old Baldy trail out of the upper parking lot to Josephine Saddle, then across from there on the Agua Caliente trail, and then down the Vault. The Old Baldy trail to the saddle is moderate, then the Agua Caliente section from the saddle to the cut off to the Vault is easy, and the Vault trail is really steep. So you get a good mix of everything on this loop. Great views along the AC section back towards Wrightson. The mileage calculated on the opening review above is not correct. It's only about 6 1/2 miles total. It took me just about 3 hours, with a short break at Josephine Saddle. Each section took me an hour, but I hike fairly fast. Check it out!!