Upper Javelina Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(173)
Tortolita Mountain Park

Upper Javelina Trail Loop is a 6.6 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Marana, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 km Elevation Gain: 260 m Route Type: Loop

This trail begins at the end of the paved road heading to the golf club at Dove Mountain Resort/Ritz-Carleton. Park alongside the road, and you will see the plastic trail markers heading west parallel to the road marked "UJT" for the Upper Javelina Trail. After a short distance, you will come to a gate and you will know you are on the right trail as it begins to head up the ridge line. The trail climbs steadily for the first mile. Great views along the way. After 1.5 miles, you reach a trail junction with the east trail heading to the Ritz-Carleton resort, or go west on the Wild Mustang Trail. Head west where again the trail climbs a bit and in 0.3 miles you reach a junction with the Cochie Spring Trail. Head back west from here and hike to the resort to view the petroglyphs behind the Fitness Center. It is then possible to hike back along a path parallel to the main road to the original trailhead.

I was able to run about half the trail. Great quick day hike.

Love the rock outcrops on this loop, the wildflowers and the fabulous mountain views along the way.

Can’t say I would do this one again. We followed the signs for upper javelina at one part which took us to a different trail. Much more rocky than I was expecting. Great views and lots of wildflowers though.

This was a great hike! Cool rocks, lots of plants and some wildlife. The trail was well maintained and a decent climb at the beginning. My only complaint is that the last mile or so as marked is just a dirt road that follows the pavement. Not too interesting. The rest of the trail makes up for it though

Great dog friendly trail. Really pretty views. A bit of a steep and rocky paths at times, but fun and not demanding. Could be hot in 90+ weather, but really nice with good breeze.

Did two loops wild burro to lower javelina and upper javelina around back to the resort very crowded trails but well-maintained.

Limited time so we didn’t take the whole hike today. Is there a crested saguaro in the making close to the beginning of the trail?

Very well-maintained trail that curves nicely during the climb (gentle curves as opposed to sharp switchbacks). Good trail for dogs. Scenic, especially once you make it high enough to see Picacho Peak off in the distance. Petroglyphs at the end of the trail are viewable from a semi-hidden trail directly behind the hotel spa. Recommend doing this loop clockwise unless you want a steep climb right off the bat (we all preferred to tackle that at the end).

Great trail with incline to begin with and downhill mid then fairly level finish. Beautiful views. Trails are pretty well marked. I went off trail a couple times accidentally, but seems it would be hard to get lost.

Trail circles around the Ritz Carlton resort. Well-marked. Not too strenuous after initial ascent.

Great location to hike on the North side of Tucson. There is a gradual increase in elevation, it also seems to double as a mountain biking path as well. There is a “detour” behind the Ritz-Carlton where you could see actual petroglyphs!! 12/10 because of that part.

Hikes this On early Sunday morning. While this was a nice length and not bad at all, I just prefer more remote trails. A majority of this trail was within a neighborhood and near the ritz Carlton resort and golf course. However, the portion that did go away from the building as it started to ascend into the mountains and then back into the valley of the mountains was gorgeous and had lots of wildlife...even a desert tortoise, snakes, lizards. It intersects with the wild burro Trail and we took this and went off the loop and I preferred the wild burro better. Not a bad trail at all, just not my preference.

Mon Apr 29 2019

I really enjoyed our hike yesterday. I would concur that this is a moderate hike. It took us a little less than two hours from the trail head to the gate leaving the trail. We went about 10 in the morning so it was fairly warm but we had lots of water. The bugs were particularly irritating. I know they’re only around for a short period of time. The views were spectacular. The cactus were blooming and it was mesmerizing.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Fri Mar 22 2019

LOVE this trail, and so do my dogs! I have a lab mix and a pekignese mix and they both love it, just make sure to take water! The terrain is beautiful, especially in the spring with all the blooms! if you do the full hike, the last part is just a trail that follows the road and ends up being ~4.5 miles, but at the top of the mountain there's an option to head back to the hotel which takes off about 1.25 miles. Probably my favorite trail at Dove Mountain!

Tue Mar 19 2019

My husband and I hiked this yesterday. We started just past the Ritz. It starts off steep for about 15 min but totally worth it. We are in our 50’s and had no problem. It is a stunning area. So many flowers and cacti. Wear sunscreen and bring enough water. We only saw 2 other people. I would be very careful bringing a dog as the cacti are very close as some parts are narrow. It would be a wonderful sunrise or sunset hike.

Mon Feb 18 2019

nice easy hike..)))

Sat Feb 09 2019

Really nice trail, clearly marked, dog friendly.