Turkey Creek

Turkey Creek is a 12.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Benson, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from March until December.

Just hiked this trail on Tuesday 1/16/18. I started a little later than i wanted at 10am. I've hiked this trail several times but it has been a couple years. The trail gets a little hard to follow just before dear head spring. There are trees down so the best i can say is follow the line of broken tree trunks that are kind of in a straight line. This time i hiked the full turkey creek trail starting at the 4WD road since i don't have 4WD. Got there at 1pm. Then proceeded on the deer head spring trail to the heartbreak ridge trail down into happy valley. The heartbreak ridge trail is awesome especailly going down..the views of the tucson basin as well as the san pedro valley are incredible. It's one of the few places that you can see both valleys on both sides of the rincon mountains. I got to happy valley at 3pm. Then proceeded down the miller creek trail and back to my car at 5pm over at the turkey creek trail parking area . Its about 16.5 miles total counting walking from miller creek parking area to turkey creek parking area...the weather was perfect. Went though 3 liters of water and a large 32 oz G2 gaterade. Apple, 3 tangerines, b&J sandwich on wheat, peanuts, pretzels, 2 chocolate chip cookies at the end. Very enjoyable hike . I would certainly recommend starting a little earlier than i did. Say more like 8am rather than 10am but i knew most of the trails except the heartbreak ridge but it was all down hill once i got to the end of the turkey creek trail....

We didn't get too far on this trail due to the heat of the day and a late start, but it was a nice easy trail for the portion we completed. Initially, we hiked the first 1.5 miles up the road, until we realized we could drive the 4 x 4 up there to the trailhead and park. We then hiked another mile and a half up the trail but we were pretty beat so we turned around. The trail is not used much but still easy to follow. We saw a lot of turkey vultures and some hawks and a lot of butterflies. The trail is grassland and scrub junipers, mesquites, and oaks. It looks like a pretty good way to get up to Manning camp.

Friday, August 14, 2015

Truly one of my all time favorite hikes.

Friday, August 14, 2015