Tumamoc Hill

Tumamoc Hill is a 2.9 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Great hike with perfect city views This is a great hike up a well paved hill with fantastic city views. Since this hike is on university property it is one of the only hikes in the Tucson Mountain Range that permits night hiking, making this the perfect hike for sunrise/sunset watching. Tumamoc Hill is a research station that has been studied since 1906. Travel is permitted all the way to the top but on pavement only. With continued respect this route should remain open to the public!

My Tucson favorite! Beautiful views and paved the entire way. REALLY gets the heart beating and burns the bum.

A great path for a good cardio workout. I've conquered Tumamoc many times and I never get tired of it. I always jog on the way down.

Fun trail it will get your ❤ pumping and your legs

Great little hike. Paved road all the way up. Took about 1.5 hrs up and down with stops to enjoy the views. Some quite steep sections to get the heart pumping. A local favorite and lots of people out enjoying this hike. I’ll definitely do it again. Probably a lot:)

Great conditioning hike!
Edited to add: This Hill is a bear! (Hubby and I have nicknamed the steep switchbacks with naughty names.) You either love The Hill or hate it; there’s no in-between. It’s a true test to one’s endurance and not for the faint of heart. It took me several attempts before I made it to the top. But, once I did, I was hooked. I now hike it every chance I get! Typing this review is surreal, as I suffer with asthma, allergies, and chronic joint pain. I never thought I’d be able to accomplish such a feat. I still marvel at the fact that I conquered this hill. The fact that I hiked it every day (when I lived near it) is nothing short of a miracle!

Nice incline, good workout.

Enjoyed great views of downtown Tucson and Catalinas and Rincons in the distance. That lady push to the top is quite steep

Absolutely amazing trail! Get a quick sweat in and exercise those thighs and calves. Fun trail now open to the public and locally for all of Tucson. Recommend hitting it in the morning hours and sitting at the top before the sun rises. Fantastic trail and super easy to break a good sweat on. The parking sucks at the bottom otherwise it's worth it at least once a month!

Walking Tumamoc Hill is my main vice and I hike it at least 5 times per week. Getting up there, I feel rewarded with the winds from the other side, the fresh side. Its spectacular views give me the most beautiful place to do a quick 5 minute meditation session.

Awesome incline workout! You will definitely sweat on the way up and the hike down is a nice cool down. Family friendly for sure!Beautiful view of the city.

Love that it’s quick and effective with gorgeous sunsets and easy access but it’s a paved road with tons of people

Great view, petroglyphs, wildlife, and a couple old observatories. Wonderful climb, paved and steep. Have done it with all the boys from 1 to 7

love it. beautiful view of the city. great workout!

it's a nice quick hike, get your blood flowing.

A quick cardio hike. Beautiful view over the heart of Tucson.

If you're new to Tucson and this whole region of the world like me, and fairly active, this is a great trail to get accustomed to doing cardio in Tucson outdoors. I have joined a fairly large group of exercisers that go up and down the hill early in the morning before work and catch the sunrise. It's taking about 25 minutes to walk from the bottom to the top and 15-20 minutes back down. I see many joggers as well. I'd assume they complete faster although. The second uphill stretch is a steeper incline and the pavement is grainier than the first part which is pretty good. There are folks going up and down with strollers but they all recommend the 3-wheel running strollers. I see that mountain biking is listed in one of the tags here, I've never seen a person with a bike. Today morning I saw a runner had fallen face forward running downhill, I can't imagine how a bicycle can be safely handled here.
My first time I went up was actually during a summer afternoon (albeit rain clouds were coming in) and I didn't see anyone until the top where I saw a girl doing yoga perched on one of the rocks overlooking the city. I did some sun salutations the next time from the same rock during a sunrise, it felt pretty epic. Otherwise though it is really busy during sunrise and sunset even on weekdays. Making this climb a daily habit has helped me find a non boring cardio option that's high intensity but not shattering on the joints and bones, and also has prepped me for the other longer hikes in the Tucson area.

Great view, good work out!

Loved it!!! My first time today.

First I just wanna say that this trail offers great views of the city.
This trail is walking distance from my house and I tend to hike there several days out of the week. Here's the thing, the hike itself is pretty nice and enjoyable but, it is a very mainstream trail. I would recommend this trail at times when it is not that crowded (don't go from 5-8pm). If you hike often and tend to go at a fairly quick pace, it can be very difficult and annoying to walk past the herds of people that are standing or walking while staring at their phones.

Overall, would recommend for a nice slow pace hike or an intense cardio run.

Good workout for keeping your mountain legs during the week, and great views of the city day or night. Some really steep parts and a lot of wildlife, despite the crowds.

Oh yeah...the crowds. If you like mariachi music or bubble gum pop you will love that many trail-walkers are unaware of that marvelous invention...ear buds.

One star for that...