Tumamoc Hill

Tumamoc Hill is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 738 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Great hike with perfect city views. This is a great hike up a well paved hill. Since this hike is on university property, it is one of the only hikes in the Tucson Mountain Range that permits night hiking. This makes it the perfect hike for sunrise/sunset watching. Tumamoc Hill is a research station that has been studied since 1906. Travel is permitted all the way to the top but on pavement only. Open 4am-10pm No dogs permitted Stay on paved paths

Easy paved road with great views at the top. Really good incline, great trail to run a few times.

Very steep but super wide and well paved. Less of a traditional hike in my opinion, but still challenging and offers a great view of Tucson

I loved it! A must try at least once! I'm doing it again when I go visit!

private property

Very nice

it is beautiful! didn't make it to the top yet, but I will!

Tumamoc Hill...leisurely hike up and back; stamina poor today!

Saw a rattlesnake on trail after dark, almost stepped on it. Maybe best to have a flashlight at night.

I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for a cardio workout. It’s uphill the entire way up, with a few areas to pull off and catch your breath. People of all ages can do this trail, many kids, many elderly, and folks running up and down the entire way. Nice view of the Tucson metro area as well. Fun for everyone.

Another hike up and down Tumamoc Hill. Spring is in the air; the temperature perfect for hiking. Great little hike!

Haven’t walked Tumamoc in over 5 years. Nice to get back out after being a gym rat in those years. Newly paved. Busy. Beautiful view of Tucson hasn’t changed, nor has the steep incline towards end. You can leisurely walk, speed walk or jog up it.

Nice trail with a great view of Tucson. Newly paved and easy to walk on. Steep incline towards the end.

Excellent intense workout, all uphill. Nice views, newly paved road. Check it out.

All up hill from the start. Get there early because you have to park along the street and there is a lot of people there.

Walked up Sunday morning and it was fun. Paved. Great views. Seemed like a lot of elevation climb.

Great trail to get your legs in shape to do some mountain hiking. Loved the views. Great to see so many people getting outdoors at this trail.

Nice newly-paved trail with great views and good informational signage (plus an app out out by U of A that’s informative). Steepest at the end but not a big deal for anyone used to hiking.

We went this past Saturday and it was steeper than expected. We had not been out for awhile, so every muscle reminded me it existed. We almost turned around early but a fellow hiker encouraged me and we made it all the way. There is no shade, water, and the porta potty halfway up had no tp...recommend you take what you need. Great views all the way up. Definitely worth it and we will be returning. The memory of an older gentleman running past me spurs to do better next time.

newly paved path :) (Is it still hiking if the trail is paved? I'm not sure...) Either way, good for walking/hiking or inclined running. steep grade. nice city views.

Best hill in all of Tucson...just love it !

Great paved trail and very close for a quick yet challenging workout!

“As good as it gets” for a short, in-city hike. Although it’s short, it’s pretty steep. It provides a good workout in very little time. The road is paved, so no need for hiking shoes. There is no shade or water on the road.

Great way to get a workout in! My first time was rough but I did it. My boyfriend made me push it!

The steep incline of this trail can be a good leg workout for a short hike with great cityscape views!!!

Really enjoy this gem. Not quite 3 miles and 750 ft of gain. Its a quick hike that depending on pace can be a stroll up the hill or a nice cardio workout. I hiked it at night and the city skylines provide amazing views.

Awesome cardio hike with an amazing view.

It was my first hike in Tucson and it was great. I wore a ruck (weighted backpack) while doing it and it kicked my butt! The steep elevation gains on this short hike are just the right amount of tough (even without a ruck on). The views from the top are gorgeous, especially being surrounded by the cacti. I would definitely recommend this short hike. It took about an hours time total, not including stopping at the top.