Tumamoc Hill

Tumamoc Hill is a 2.9 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Great hike with perfect city views This is a great hike up a well paved hill with fantastic city views. Since this hike is on university property it is one of the only hikes in the Tucson Mountain Range that permits night hiking, making this the perfect hike for sunrise/sunset watching. Tumamoc Hill is a research station that has been studied since 1906. Travel is permitted all the way to the top but on pavement only. With continued respect this route should remain open to the public!

Paved all the way up, very busy on the weekends (and most mornings) but plenty of space for everyone. It’s a steep uphill hike so it’s definitely a good workout. City views and not far from downtown/UofA.

good hike, horrible run! 23 minute uphill, 11 minute downhill.

Awesome workout, I enjoy watching planes takeoff and land while listening to Air Traffic Control on my phone. This hike restores my faith in humanity, seeing so many families out working out together and trying to get in shape. This hike is definitely not easy!

The views were great but the end of the trail isn’t very cute. I expected something else I guess

If you are looking fora work out, this is the hike you want. Summer get really hot in Tucson, so 630 to 730 is a good window to scape the Tucson hot weather. I loved it.

The best cardio workout you can get in an hour! Dawn is my favorite time as it's beautiful and you can beat the crowds. Tons of wildlife and I regularly see deer, javelina, coyotes and rabbits. It's paved but could be hard on your knees on the way down. Stunning views from the top! Totally recommend!

Started at 5:45 in the morning and the trail was busy. Not sure what hasn't already been said about the route. Definitely felt the burn on the way up and the downhill bothered one of my knees but I probably would have been ok if not for doing Mt. Lemmon yesterday. The trail signs gave me an excuse to stop and catch my breath. LOL. Crowds were a little much on the way down and I don't understand large groups that hog the path by walking side by side. But, all in all, was a good heart pumper before my drive home.

This was my first time walking up Tumamoc. The path is a paved access road for official vehicles only.There are a few steep areas that are a nice challenge. My girlfriend and I left at 7:50pm for the cooler temps and for views of the city lights.

There are a number of plaques along the paved road with information and facts about wildlife and scenery. At almost all of the switchbacks there is a bench with a view if you need a rest or want to take in the sights. There is a small lookout area facing the city at the top.

challenging incline, paved path, great exercise, great views, learn about local wildlife along the path, crowded

One of the coolest views of the city!

Highly recommend for sunset. The views are beautiful, it’s easy to find and follow, and it’s a good workout! My only complaint is that it’s pretty crowded - even in the summer!

I love walking this paved trail. It’s a great workout. It offers beautiful views of Tucson.

Amazing . Great workout . If you see the area you will see the local wildlife .

fun full moon night hike

I love hiking this hill

This paved trail was a nice hike. Not a long one, however, going up hill I could feel it! Great stops along the way with benches and information about the wild life. Going down hill was a bit tricky at first due to a knee replacement that tends to cause issues when going down. However highly recommend this hike. The views alone make it worth the walk. All ages were hiking and even some were jogging. More power to them!

Great little hike for the start/end of the day. All paved. Open 4am-10pm.

We’re lucky to have this gem so close to town. Just hard enough to keep you humble. Rewarding views at the top.

I love Tumamoc. It’s a great day activity for a good workout.

Quick short hike up Tumamoc after an hr of skating!! Dead legs but awesome feel!! Great views all around and huge sahuaros !! Definitely doing it again!!

This is one of my favorite favs! It’s definitely challenging and I try to do it at least once each time we’re in Tuscon (2x yr)!

Four stars because of the limited public access (Sunday’s).

Love the view from the top, steep but great way to get your stamina up for hikes

Nice little hike. Steep.

Great cardio workout! For people of all ages!

A great Cardio workout, Especially if you make it past the half way mark.
The climb a bit more difficult, Quite a steep incline.
I love hiking this during the early morning summer months.
When the desert cactus is are blooming.
Once you made it to the top a great view of the city of Tucson

Great cardio workout!

This has become one of my favorite hikes. The first time I went I found it extremely challenging and couldn't breathe well but my second time around was much better and now I'm able to do it with some ease. Definitely recommend! Great views at sunset time.

Well maintained paved path great views and lots of wild life. It is fun but if your not in semi good shape take your time.

Pretty good workout for 3 sisters in our 60s. Got our heart rates up & we were able to keep stomping along. Short break @ the buildings & powered up the last part. Whew! Great views. Downhill was a relief.