Tumamoc Hill

Tumamoc Hill is a 2.9 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Great hike with perfect city views This is a great hike up a well paved hill with fantastic city views. Since this hike is on university property it is one of the only hikes in the Tucson Mountain Range that permits night hiking, making this the perfect hike for sunrise/sunset watching. Tumamoc Hill is a research station that has been studied since 1906. Travel is permitted all the way to the top but on pavement only. With continued respect this route should remain open to the public!

If you're new to Tucson and this whole region of the world like me, and fairly active, this is a great trail to get accustomed to doing cardio in Tucson outdoors. I have joined a fairly large group of exercisers that go up and down the hill early in the morning before work and catch the sunrise. It's taking about 25 minutes to walk from the bottom to the top and 15-20 minutes back down. I see many joggers as well. I'd assume they complete faster although. The second uphill stretch is a steeper incline and the pavement is grainier than the first part which is pretty good. There are folks going up and down with strollers but they all recommend the 3-wheel running strollers. I see that mountain biking is listed in one of the tags here, I've never seen a person with a bike. Today morning I saw a runner had fallen face forward running downhill, I can't imagine how a bicycle can be safely handled here.
My first time I went up was actually during a summer afternoon (albeit rain clouds were coming in) and I didn't see anyone until the top where I saw a girl doing yoga perched on one of the rocks overlooking the city. I did some sun salutations the next time from the same rock during a sunrise, it felt pretty epic. Otherwise though it is really busy during sunrise and sunset even on weekdays. Making this climb a daily habit has helped me find a non boring cardio option that's high intensity but not shattering on the joints and bones, and also has prepped me for the other longer hikes in the Tucson area.

Great view, good work out!

Loved it!!! My first time today.

First I just wanna say that this trail offers great views of the city.
This trail is walking distance from my house and I tend to hike there several days out of the week. Here's the thing, the hike itself is pretty nice and enjoyable but, it is a very mainstream trail. I would recommend this trail at times when it is not that crowded (don't go from 5-8pm). If you hike often and tend to go at a fairly quick pace, it can be very difficult and annoying to walk past the herds of people that are standing or walking while staring at their phones.

Overall, would recommend for a nice slow pace hike or an intense cardio run.

Good workout for keeping your mountain legs during the week, and great views of the city day or night. Some really steep parts and a lot of wildlife, despite the crowds.

Oh yeah...the crowds. If you like mariachi music or bubble gum pop you will love that many trail-walkers are unaware of that marvelous invention...ear buds.

One star for that...

Fairly steep paved path. Nice walk. Good views of city. Would like to do this at dusk to see city lights.

Path winds straight up to show a view of the city. The city view was nice but the hike up wasn't very exciting.

great view of the city during the day or after dark. great sunsets. paved path isn't in the best condition, lots of cracks and holes. can be very crowded at sundown. a couple of the switchbacks are pretty steep, but otherwise a moderate walk.

Great view of the city lights at night. Very crowded walk.

This is short but steep trail, it's paved all the way. Great workout!