Tumamoc Hill is a 5.0 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Distance: 5.0 km Elevation Gain: 225 m Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

closed

Please note: Users have reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Great hike with perfect city views. This is a great hike up a well paved hill. Since this hike is on university property, it is one of the only hikes in the Tucson Mountain Range that permits night hiking. This makes it the perfect hike for sunrise/sunset watching. Tumamoc Hill is a research station that has been studied since 1906. Travel is permitted all the way to the top but on pavement only. Open 4am-10pm No dogs permitted Stay on paved paths

1 hour ago

Great hike, great exercise!! Paved road with desert and city views!

Always a nice quick workout! Sunrise up there is amazing too. Happy Trails Friends!

This path is now opened.

This path will get you breathing HEAVY. Steep hills, but a great time. I made the mistake of going on a date here once because I was so out of breath and my date thought I was being “quiet”

Tucson favorite! Heavy trafficked but beautiful and rewarding views with this climb. Should be on everyone's Tucson bucket list.

Closed!

Touch climb at times but well traveled and all paved! Great to run up but if you want more off the grid this is not for you. Great view:)

Tough climb. All paved. Good workout.

Windy! Paved switchbacks and pretty steep. Lots of people at 5pm on a Thursday. Saw a mama deer and her babies in the desert No shade so go when it’s cool-ish

After a 8 mile hike.

Continuous uphill but all paved. Excellent view at top and can take a break to sit on the rocks and enjoy the view.

Its a great workout convenient hike with in city limits

recorded Tumamoc Hill

I’d say a great workout!

Even though this is paved, I love that it’s in the city and it’s a quick hike. Even though it’s quick, it’s still a great workout due to the steep slope the entire way up.

Heavily trafficked paved road to the top of the hill. Nice walk with friends but would prefer a more natural walk.

I love this trail even though it’s tough. Paved, beautiful views and a great workout. I suggest not bringing a stroller and instead using a baby carrier if your baby is in tow. It was killer trying to push the stroller up too. I’ll definitely be back!

Great hike for after work! Gets very steep towards the end so push yourself!

Currently 4 months pregnant and my husband and I traded off pushing a stroller. I will say, the steep hill is a little tough for being pregnant, but I pushed through until the midway point (right at the gate that prevents unauthorized vehicles from going in) and it was worth it. We definitely would love to go back and go beyond that point next time. I'm usually not a fan of hiking paved roads, but it was obviously really convenient for the stroller and still really nice. The only complaint if any, was it is really heavily trafficked but it wasn't anything that made the hike inconvenient or unenjoyable. Just a matter of preference for us! :)

accessible for all abilities and a nice walk to the top of a hill overlooking the city and valleys surrounding tucson. the reason for my low score is that the infrastructure and deliberate fencing at the top prevents sunset views. literally a pavilion located 50 ft further, to allow the hundreds that trek the vigorous walk up would allow the most incredible sunset view. this would also be an ideal spot for sunrises, however, on the last day of my trip to Tucson, I found the "posted. do not pass" sign and chain fence preventing such views incredibly disappointing.

Always a good quick hike

recorded Tumamoc Hill

I always give 5 Star reviews because well, I'm kind of nature sucker and we tend to like everything but if I could give this trail of special 10 Stars I definitely would! it had numerous features that I really enjoyed. this includes lots of knowledge throughout the trail in the form of informational boards and colorful photos of animals and maps. halfway in there was a little mini village where you could fill up your water and there was two porta potties there. they were also cute little houses that were owned by the University and had meet art drawn on them and a greenhouse. throughout this entire hike there was a nice view of Tucson that only got better the higher you got up. it was a very safe trail do to the people that were on it as well as the fact that the entire trail is paved. don't let the fact that it's all uphill discourage you because it's all downhill on the way back!

Parking is on the street for this paved and steep exercise trail. Good views and nice amount of nature.

This hill is a workout if you want it to be. Steep climb. Good views. Kids enjoyed it. There are portable bathrooms at midway point in the 1.5 mile climb.

Made it 1.17 miles from the car, climbing 391 feet in elevation. Someday I’ll reach the top.

Nice workout with nothing but inclined on pavement. Extremely crowded but amazing Tucson views

I’ve wanted to hike the legendary Tumamoc since I moved to Tucson in June, and it did not disappoint. Nice, heavily trafficked, out and back paved trail with gorgeous views of the city.