Tom's Thumb Trail

Tom's Thumb Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Toms Thumb is a great workout as you have great elevation gain from the beginning. A nice amount of switchbacks to keep your legs burning. The view from Toms Thumb is nice. On this hike I decided to continue on to the Lookout trail which gives you great views of the valley especially Thompson Peak and the Four Peaks.

Great hike. Steep to start. Excellent views. Kid friendly with rocks and crevices to explore

An awesome hike. Great workout going out as there is a lot of elevation gain but totally worth it. North side of Tom's Thumb is currently closed to protect some birds of prey. Saw a rattlesnake on the trail on the way back so be careful!

An excellent hike up to Tom's Thumb on a cool, and windy morning. We then hiked up to Lookout Point and got nice 360° views. Came down the trail to the Feldspar loop to add a bit more to get the total up to just about 6 miles. Great trails, well-maintained and not tough at all - except for the elevation gain!

Beautiful hike. I went up Tom's Thumb Trail but then keep straight on the trail (I wasn't super interested in seeing "Toms Thumb" itself.) I went to Lookout Trail and it was AMAZING! It's only a short distance past Tom's Thumb and totally worth it. You see Drinkwater, McDowell and Thompson Peak in the distance. The path seems to be a dried up creek bed once you get closer to the end of the trail so find that and keep going! You'll come to a lookout and it's one of the most amazing views I've ever seen.

Beautiful hike not real challenging.

Fairly short, well maintained, and moderately difficult trail. Great views!

Did anyone find a green solar power charger? I'm pretty sure it's at the top view of Toms Thumb. It was hanging from my bag. Would anyone have left it and the beginning trail head? I hope it helps someone if found! I was there this past Thursday May 11th

This is a great hike, and thankfully a relatively short one. I hiked it when it was over 90 degrees out, and I'll say right off the bat that I didn't bring enough water. I had about 20-30 ounces for myself. The trail is only four miles out and back, but the first half is almost all uphill. Because I started later in the day, there was some shade from the sun setting, but it was still very hot. The views really are wonderful, and the trail is well-marked except for the last part where you get to the thumb. You'll see a sign that points to the right that indicates that the thumb is .1 miles away, but the trail getting there isn't as pronounced so you have to kinda find your way. The thumb is huge though so once you see it, you know. Great views, only took about an hour and a half and that's only because I needed to stop due to the heat. There are people that do this way faster, but I urge anyone not to push themselves in the heat with any trail like this. Bring enough water, and make sure you're prepared. Dehydration is a real thing, and Arizona is no joke with the heat. Also, look out for rattlesnakes. This one couple said they saw one, but I didn't.