Tom's Thumb to Bell Pass

Tom's Thumb to Bell Pass is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wonderful hike if you want to stretch yourself. It took us 6 hours total We are 50+ age recreational hikers. Took 2 L of water per person and drank every drop. Having done toms thumb several times it was fun to approach from the opposite side. Get away from the crowds and take this hike!

Great hike. Weather was prime! 16-18 degrees c (sorry I'm Canadian). Beautiful scenery. Not many peeps on the trail once you got a few kms away from the trailhead. Really loved the connector between Tom's Thumb and Bell pass. I would say being in shape is a requirement, but it wasn't too hard. Pce.

Are you in hiking shape? Are you prepared? Then your ready to go! Enjoy varying terrain from packed trail to technical ascents and descents. You'll find the gains at at a moderate rate and only a handful of big step ups. Views are legit. Be sure to side trek over to Tom's Thumb. I ran the loop in reverse and added some distance by taking the saddle back to the head. Started shortly after sunrise and walked with the sun at my back for 2nd half. Otherwise high exposure with only a few areas to take cover. Wear a hat and bring plenty of water.

Other than the length of this trail, it's pretty simple. Just bring lots of water and not be hung over as hell like me and my friends were.

great place to get ready for the Grand Canyon.. Watch out for wildlife, snakes, deer, birds, and coyotes.

"This is the hike that never ends
Yes it goes on and on my friend.
Some people started hiking it
Not knowing what it was
But people kept hiking it just because...
This is the hike that never ends..."

This was very challenging due to the distance. It took me 4 hours 15 mins for the complete loop. Definitely slather on the sunscreen, wear a hat, and bring plenty of water.

This is definitely the hike you want if you are looking for a tough workout. I took the slight detour to see Tom's Thumb and my recording showed ~12 miles total for the entire day. Absolutely bring more water than you normally would.

This is a terrific hike, but it delivered me a beat down. My track recording showed 12 miles, not 11.3 as advertised, but nevertheless I was whipped by mile 8. Lots of climbing. Bring more water than you think you need.

Awesome

It was a good hike up to tom's thumb from gateway access area, I then took east gate around to bell pass to loop around a little longer then I planned for my day. Completed a little over 14 miles, but I was done at 10 miles and could longer enjoy my hike and just wanted it to be over, but I'd still do it again just not too soon.

Great views! Excellent challenge!

Over prepare, bring extra water- 2L+

This trail has some really fantastic views and is definitely worth your time. Keep in mind though that this trail is very steep in places and extremely rocky. Would be great for hiking but I ran it and it was pretty rough since it was so rocky. I can't even imagine trying to do this on a mountain bike, yikes. If you are going to run this just plan on a slow time and enjoy yourself, it is definitely a trail you should do if you live in the area. Check out Tom's Thumb as it is only a few tenths of a mile off the main loop. Take some extra water and some solid shoes and you will have fun on this one.

It was a good hike. Tough but so worth it!

I have done it twice. one of my favorite hike. make sure to go with friends, as you can get lost as not good direction.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

My number one favorite trail in all time. Very easy for me, maybe because i went this place so many times.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

I really like this trail. The hike is moderate. What makes it hard is the length of the hike if you're not in great shape. If you're in great shape it's a good workout.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

great hike

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Ok so I tried this on my gravel bike(no shocks, skinny tires, road bike frame) so not on an actual mountain bike. Needless to say it did not go well. I can see where this would be a great mountain bike trail or hiking! Definitely want to try it on foot

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Great hike! Did the full loop and loved it. Make sure to bring plenty of water. It's steep in a few places.