Tom Moody Extended Loop Trail

Tom Moody Extended Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Good little trail for the family to do. Super easy, little elevation change, and lots of little sights along the way. The stream is fed by the water reclamation plant, but THAT IS A GOOD THING if you are familiar with water reclamation.

I have lived in Flagstaff 18 years and never new about the trail. It was a nice hike. Just a word of warning the water is from the sewer plant. We saw someone standing in it and thought it was gross, he must not have known!

Well-maintained. The placement of markers on trees should be reviewed.

Beautiful trail taking you through parts of Picture Canyon Preserve. Various scenic areas like the hieroglyphs but somehow bypassed the waterfall. Gives me another reason to come back again. Easy hike with no real notable elevation change. It didn't take long to leave the industrial area.

There were some areas of the trail that were not well marked and at one point found myself walking in a circle because there was no markings but plenty of old jeep trails so it got confusing.

More trails to explore but I will definitely come back to do this one again.

We took the advice and went left to start and ended at the waterfall. It was a very pleasant and easy trail with a lot of geocaches along the way. If it wasn’t from the smell from the Purina plant I would have given it more stars. The smell took a long time to dissipate.

Nice recovery hike!

Great hike. Friendly people on trail. Spotted a 5 + ft bull snake on trail.

Nice hike under 2 hours

The Purina plant and water treatment plant at the beginning are a little off-putting, as others mentioned. However, once you get in about ¼ of a mile this is a very pleasant and easy trail. My husband and I used this as a “recovery” hike between visiting Joshua Tree and the Grand Canyon, as we stayed in Flagstaff. We appreciated the shade on much of the trail and it is well kept. However, it is very sandy in parts, so I wouldn’t recommend Chacos or other open-toed shoes.

Awesome easy trail, took me a little over an hour to complete the loop. Trail is really well marked, running water and there is rock art. Only complaint is there is the constant smell from the Purina factory.

Nice and close to town. Would walk starting left and go clockwise around so the waterfall was at the end of the trail next time.

I've done this trail a few times. it's a good nature walk. I always start the trail heading to the left, so at the end I can see the water fall.

Jog and walked with a small added loop to get over four miles. The Moody trail is good for running with incline on the back end. Some sand and rocks to endure with not too much traffic.

It's easy to miss the waterfall so follow others' directions or you'll end up going back a second time to look for it like we did. The waterfall is not all that spectacular so if you don't find it you didn't miss much.

The actual Tom Moody trail is around 3.8 miles and if you follow it by the sign posts you miss the waterfall... We didn’t actually get to see it due to this so disappointing. The trail itself is nice and easy, but you will get dusty boots as some parts are sandy.

Definitely an easy hike. Once you get deeper on the trail the scenery gets better. Not a fan of being able to see the water plant, but otherwise it was a nice view!

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Perfect for a jog. Loved the scenery and right by the Flagstaff mall!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Nice and easy hike with a couple inclines. Found the waterfall which was a great time to take some pictures. Overall really good.

Monday, September 04, 2017

We took the start of the loop toward the right. The trail is poorly marked in some areas (only little arrows randomly on trees). We thought at one point we my have ended up on the Arizona Trail and it was evening so got us a little worried. Waterfall is beautiful and trail is pretty level.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Marked terribly on the return. Currently trying to find our way back to the car.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Return loop not well signed. First part of trail smells like a sewage treatment plant

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Beautiful. Trails are not marked well, we ended up all over the place. Turns out Tom Moody loop is actually 2.8 miles of 1.6 like the app says.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

it was very nice.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Pretty easy trail. Great for walking the dogs and trail jogging. Not much gain in elevation and the trail seems to be shaded nicely. I recommend this trail to families with young kids.

Monday, July 03, 2017

this map and distance are incorrect -- trail measured out to 3.8-miles roundtrip on our GPS. Even trail markers say 2.8-miles... so don't know why this says 1.6-miles. Regardless, it's a pretty trail. Some intermittent shade -- maybe 15% of hike. Waterfall is at end of hike (if you take LEFT branch). If you just want to see the waterfall, take the RIGHT branch across the marshes... it's not too far up the trail.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

This trail was pretty good. Very easy walking. It was only 4 miles from where we were staying and it had a waterfall so we went. The waterfall was pretty but not accessible for the dogs nor was it large enough to cool off in. You probably wouldn't want to anyways because it looked like the water didn't really run very far down the way and was pretty stagnant. The waterfall is hidden. Once you see the informational marker ' A track in time' it's just barely past that sign and to the left. Stop and listen for water.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

This was a super easy hike. not too pretty until you're about half a mile in. The waterfall is prerty, but you have to veer off the path a little to see it.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

I took my family with and found the hike easy and enjoyable. I have only rated this hike with 3 stars because the trail was only marked well for about 1 and a quarter mile. We found ourselves backtracking often. Either way, the kids loved it...