Learn more

Tom Moody Extended Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(354)
Flagstaff, Arizona

Tom Moody Extended Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 301 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Beautiful trail to hike. Kids and dogs loved it. Great views and trails nicely marked. Best of all no mountain bikes.

Minimal shade which was tough on the dog and kids. Petroglyphs were very cool. Waterfall was small, but pretty. You can’t really get down to the waterfall, and it’s all reclaimed water, so not safe for getting in along the fairly stagnant creek. Bit smelly when you hike near the reclaimed water plant for about a half mile.

Very sunny and hot with no shade. Definitely bring more water than you think you will need, especially if bringing your dog. Very sandy at times. Would recommend ending with the waterfall as well. And the petroglyphs were pretty cool.

Very well marked path.

We did this right before sunset. Very clear trail with a nice little waterfall and petroglyphs. Lots of picture opportunities.

Best part of the hike is the short stretch that goes to the waterfall and then the petroglyphs. From there you may as well turn around and go back the same way because the rest is very sandy and not exciting at all.

It was alright. I’d rather drive the extra distance and be a little bit deeper in nature.

Quick easy run nice to race the planes on take off but the dump truck drivers are not nice along that road.

The trail is just over 3 miles. For a mountain bike it’s ok. Not happy with the deep lose gravel that feels like going thru sand and is very difficult. There is also a bridge with steps on both sides at the bottom of a pretty fast hill with no warning that you have to carry your bike across! Beautiful accessible waterfall, beautiful pink and blue sky at sunset!

Once you pass the mines, factories, and power lines there is a preserved waterfall and some somewhat preserved petroglyphs. The water is not potable or swimmable. This area was logged years ago leaving new growth pines providing little shade. My dog was stung so beware of bugs. This is the 4th state I have pictured petroglyphs, and you can follow me on Instagram @nathan_vanengen to view photos of them, you can also find more amazing places to visit in the southwest you may not have known about!

Great trail with a beautiful waterfall. Does not provide a lot of shade and some of the terrain is pretty deep to sink your foot into. Very quiet. Only passed one person today.

Love the trail-easy to travel on, easy to follow. It does lack shade, but that’s up to the Mother Nature

Easy, flat walk. Great for kids. Petroglyphs and waterfall are labeled so you can’t miss them. The water is reclaimed and non-potable.

Nice casual loop.

Nice trail, by no means spectacular but only few people and a nice walk

The combined smells of the sewage treatment and the pet food plant make this trail not worth it, unfortunately. The waterfall is cool which is the only reason I gave more than one star, but had I known how bad the smell was gonna be on a windy day, I would have skipped it altogether. Pretty buggy, pretty gross.

I thought it was easy and beautiful the whole way through! My Fitbit clocked it at 3.3 miles and only took me a little over an hour. Well marked trail and if you ever wonder if you’re going the right direction, you have signal to check all trails and trees along the trail are marked with orange/red diamonds. Very cute little spot. Went on a Thursday at noon and only passed three people so not too much action.

Nice hike. Easy and well marked. Saw a prairie dog, birds, and a garter snake. Waterfall and petroglyphs were fun sites, but kinda boring afterward.

The waterfall is really cool at the end and the petroglyphs come towards the end as well. Most of the trail is easy with gravel and a sandy trail . Very easy. Not as scenic as We would have wanted . You walk through a lot of dead bushes and trees and a run down property that looks like a junk yard.

great hike for the pups! cool petroglyphs and neat little waterfall!

Great morning hike. Liked the waterfall and Petroglyphs.

Absolutely recommend this for biking, walking, and dog walking. Some tough points for us beginner mountain bikers but was really awesome.

I have not been on this trail in a couple of years and I was pleasantly surprised at the trail improvement. The signage and trail markers are excellent. Now, if anyone can improve on the Purina smell it will be darn perfect. This is a four mile walk, there in no "hiking" to it. The petroglyphs are in nice shape.

icy

Definitely not my favorite. My friend and I went and at first it was OK. Path was pretty well labeled with orange markers. When we went to go through a shaded pass, it was pure ice on the side of the cliff. We decided to go a different way and it just led us to another icy pass but with more room. We went through that only to be back where we were before. We had to clone even more to get back to where we parked. The waterfall was pretty but was hard to see because it was basically in a small canyon. Overall, it was an OK hike.