Tom Moody Extended Loop Trail

Tom Moody Extended Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Nice recovery hike!

Great hike. Friendly people on trail. Spotted a 5 + ft bull snake on trail.

Nice hike under 2 hours

The Purina plant and water treatment plant at the beginning are a little off-putting, as others mentioned. However, once you get in about ¼ of a mile this is a very pleasant and easy trail. My husband and I used this as a “recovery” hike between visiting Joshua Tree and the Grand Canyon, as we stayed in Flagstaff. We appreciated the shade on much of the trail and it is well kept. However, it is very sandy in parts, so I wouldn’t recommend Chacos or other open-toed shoes.

Awesome easy trail, took me a little over an hour to complete the loop. Trail is really well marked, running water and there is rock art. Only complaint is there is the constant smell from the Purina factory.

Nice and close to town. Would walk starting left and go clockwise around so the waterfall was at the end of the trail next time.

I've done this trail a few times. it's a good nature walk. I always start the trail heading to the left, so at the end I can see the water fall.

Jog and walked with a small added loop to get over four miles. The Moody trail is good for running with incline on the back end. Some sand and rocks to endure with not too much traffic.

It's easy to miss the waterfall so follow others' directions or you'll end up going back a second time to look for it like we did. The waterfall is not all that spectacular so if you don't find it you didn't miss much.

The actual Tom Moody trail is around 3.8 miles and if you follow it by the sign posts you miss the waterfall... We didn’t actually get to see it due to this so disappointing. The trail itself is nice and easy, but you will get dusty boots as some parts are sandy.

Definitely an easy hike. Once you get deeper on the trail the scenery gets better. Not a fan of being able to see the water plant, but otherwise it was a nice view!

Perfect for a jog. Loved the scenery and right by the Flagstaff mall!

Nice and easy hike with a couple inclines. Found the waterfall which was a great time to take some pictures. Overall really good.

We took the start of the loop toward the right. The trail is poorly marked in some areas (only little arrows randomly on trees). We thought at one point we my have ended up on the Arizona Trail and it was evening so got us a little worried. Waterfall is beautiful and trail is pretty level.

Marked terribly on the return. Currently trying to find our way back to the car.

Return loop not well signed. First part of trail smells like a sewage treatment plant

Beautiful. Trails are not marked well, we ended up all over the place. Turns out Tom Moody loop is actually 2.8 miles of 1.6 like the app says.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

it was very nice.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Pretty easy trail. Great for walking the dogs and trail jogging. Not much gain in elevation and the trail seems to be shaded nicely. I recommend this trail to families with young kids.

Monday, July 03, 2017

this map and distance are incorrect -- trail measured out to 3.8-miles roundtrip on our GPS. Even trail markers say 2.8-miles... so don't know why this says 1.6-miles. Regardless, it's a pretty trail. Some intermittent shade -- maybe 15% of hike. Waterfall is at end of hike (if you take LEFT branch). If you just want to see the waterfall, take the RIGHT branch across the marshes... it's not too far up the trail.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

This trail was pretty good. Very easy walking. It was only 4 miles from where we were staying and it had a waterfall so we went. The waterfall was pretty but not accessible for the dogs nor was it large enough to cool off in. You probably wouldn't want to anyways because it looked like the water didn't really run very far down the way and was pretty stagnant. The waterfall is hidden. Once you see the informational marker ' A track in time' it's just barely past that sign and to the left. Stop and listen for water.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

This was a super easy hike. not too pretty until you're about half a mile in. The waterfall is prerty, but you have to veer off the path a little to see it.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

I took my family with and found the hike easy and enjoyable. I have only rated this hike with 3 stars because the trail was only marked well for about 1 and a quarter mile. We found ourselves backtracking often. Either way, the kids loved it...

Monday, June 12, 2017

Really easy and short hike to the waterfall! I was with three little kids and one baby strapped to my chest and we were in and out in 40 minutes. Beautiful hidden gem in flagstaff! We went around 530 this afternoon. No steep spots and very easy to get to! The waterfall is down in a canyon so watch kids. Also. When you get to the spot where the trail can go left or right about 1/3 mile in, go right. The waterfall is at the end of the mountain and on the left. You'll see a sign that says much about lumberjacks and building a railroad... it's right past the sign to the left of the trail. You have to walk off the trail a bit.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

We got lost and never found the waterfall. Trails are not marked very well. We enjoyed the walk. And will be back to explore the other trails.