Thunderbird Park Three Peaks Loop Trail

Thunderbird Park Three Peaks Loop Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Glendale, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,407 feet Route Type: Loop

This is my third time doing the Thunderbird Three Summits Loop and everytime I've been here - it's a complete nightmare. It's always amateur hour at Thunderbird. No one knows nor understands the concept of trail etiquette. To make matters worse, if their crappy music isn't blaring out of their crappy Bluetooth speaker at reference level volume for everyone on the trail to enjoy, then they've got studio quality headphones on. In other words, no one can hear you desperately trying to pass them. "Hello, could I squeeze by you?" Nope. Tried that. You know those losers who camp out in the fast lane going 64 mph in a 65 mph zone on the 101? ...yeah, that's what it's like hiking any of the trails at Thunderbird. Except worse. They've got that mentality: Well, this is my speed and good luck to everyone who wants to get around me. May the odds be ever in your favor. I was at the trailhead before sun up and it was no better. This time of year especially, there's too many fair-weather hikers who have told all their friends on Facebook 'they're going to do more hiking this year'. I suspect part of the problem is there a TON of neighborhoods surrounding every trail at Thunderbird. You're battling the teenagers whose Mom told them to go outside and play. You're battling the senior citizen hiking groups that signed up at the local YMCA. You're battling the stay at home trophy wives who are desperately trying to keep their girlish figures and the designer yoga pants they just got from Amazon that are just way too cute. Weekday. Weekend. Morning. Afternoon. Night. Summer. Spring. Winter. Fall. It's always a cluster of ignorance at Thunderbird. I just kept my head down and plowed ahead this morning because if you can't beat 'em, join' em, right? If you still want to give Thunderbird a whirl just so you can cross it off your list of COMPLETED HIKES, you'll also have to contend with the massive piles of dog crap scattered throughout the trails. Evidently, everyone in the vicinity owns a Great Dane / Rottweiler / Bull Mastiff mix because the turds on these trails are typically the size of a dinner plate. Fresh, hot, steamy and just waiting to be stepped in. Facilities are also in poor condition. Trails are also not well marked and in some instances not marked at all so keep your All Trails app launched and active. Sounds like a wonderful hiking experience, doesn't it? If I never visit these trails ever again in my life, it will be too soon. Good luck.

We really enjoyed this trail. Each summit revealed the next and each one was higher than the prior. Some good challenging climbing at times, but nothing too challenging to seem dangerous. This was probably our favorite of the week’s hiking adventures.

Good endurance hiking.

Wed Nov 07 2018

I like to park somewhere in the lots west of 59th Avenue, then proceed east across the bridge over 59th to complete the three peaks, east to west. All of these trails have abundant loose rubble which is hard on the feet in addition to being a slip and stumble factor. However, nice views at each peak, decent hike for being in town, and reasonably good parking.

Sun Nov 04 2018

A great adventure. My recommendation is to come early and bring plenty of water. I forgot how much loose rock Thunderbird has, which makes it a less pleasant trek at points. My Fitbit clocked it at 9 miles, so I’m not sure why I varied so much.

Thu Oct 11 2018

This was pretty good exercise for a “city walk”. You cam hear traffic from most of the trail, but it is far enough away to not be too bothersome. Decent views from the peaks.

Fri Oct 05 2018

pretty fun loop for pack training. tons of loose rock however on a good majority of the trail

Sat Apr 28 2018

I would do counter clockwise next time, too much down hill, and lots of loose rock the entire 7 miles

Thu Mar 01 2018

This trail was a very fun I liked this one a lot not too hard but a nice exercise and varied nice views must try Took me about three hours because I stopped and took some pictures but not too bad

Sat Feb 03 2018

Didnt get to finish it because of emergency but overall good ups and downs. Got there at 7am sharp and there were a lot of parking spots but when I came back around 9am it was almost all full. Trail Mix might be a good idea on this trail. There was a good crowd but I didn't find it unbearable. Good cardio for sure!

Mon Jan 22 2018

This trail is easy to follow and clearly marked. Parking can be tough to find on weekends but isn’t generally a problem on weekdays. This trail is POPULAR. It’s also easy to hear road traffic and air traffic from the Deer Valley Airport. If you’re looking for a serene hike, this isn’t it. I’m very comfortable on this trail but don’t enjoy it as much as I used to because of the noise and people

Mon Jan 22 2018

Great weather usually. Great trail!