Thunder Creek to Deer Creek and Thunder Falls

Thunder Creek to Deer Creek and Thunder Falls is a 29 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 29.0 miles Elevation Gain: 7,263 feet Route Type: Loop

This is an excellent route ranging from the trackless beaches of the Colorado River to a good trail segment high above Granite Narrows, connects the Tapeats Creek and Deer Creek Trails, allowing backpackers the opportunity to trace a superb loop trip.

We hiked this amazing trail over four days, camping in Surprise Valley, at Lower Tapeats, and on the Esplanade. The descent from the trailhead is steep and rocky. Another steep, rocky descent follows after Surprise Valley towards Deer Creek. I found the rocky descents, with lots of loose rocks, to be harder than the climb out of the canyon. There are also a number of water crossings. I trained for several months to do this hike and found it hard but doable. The experience was epic and gave me an appreciation for how vast and deep the canyon is, a perspective you can’t get from the rim. We saw a few hikers along the way but were mainly alone. If you’re fit and up to the challenge... do this hike and you will never regret it.

This trail is wonderful and leads to a beautiful creek called Deer creek. I only went from the Bill Hall trailhead to deer creek because my partner and I had a late start and got off track for a bit and had to wait out the sun. I would definitely do it again but it should be rated hard because it went on for quite a while and we didn’t even finish the whole hike!

I have a question... do I have to get any special permission to hike this trail? Do I hv to buy any permit or contact any special tour?

Monday, December 18, 2017

Amazing views.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Great views fun trail

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Did this trail with the Hatch crew. Kicked my butt but I loved all of the water and waterfalls along the way. This frog was happy in the desert. Big finish at deer creek falls, one of the best sights along the river.

Saturday, August 08, 2015

I'll provide a review a little late - We hiked it in August 1992 while running the river in a dory with Grand Canyon Expeditions - better late than never. We hiked from the CO River up Tapeats Creek Trail to a small waterfall coming straight out of the rock. The water was pure and drinkable. We then crossed over to Deer Creek Trail and followed it across to the slot canyon that holds Deer Creek and feeds the falls. The hike across was very hot and dry. We followed the slot canyon down and then circumvented the falls in the climb down to the river. The Falls were beautiful and refreshing. The river guides had dropped us off for the hike so they could go meet their girlfriends/wives who had hiked down to the river at a more remote location - thus giving themselves some "private" time. This is my recollection 23 years later.