Thunder Creek to Deer Creek and Thunder Falls

Thunder Creek to Deer Creek and Thunder Falls is a 23.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Big Springs, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

This is an excellent route ranging from the trackless beaches of the Colorado River to a good trail segment high above Granite Narrows, connects the Tapeats Creek and Deer Creek Trails, allowing backpackers the opportunity to trace a superb loop trip.

Great views fun trail

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Did this trail with the Hatch crew. Kicked my butt but I loved all of the water and waterfalls along the way. This frog was happy in the desert. Big finish at deer creek falls, one of the best sights along the river.

Saturday, August 08, 2015

I'll provide a review a little late - We hiked it in August 1992 while running the river in a dory with Grand Canyon Expeditions - better late than never. We hiked from the CO River up Tapeats Creek Trail to a small waterfall coming straight out of the rock. The water was pure and drinkable. We then crossed over to Deer Creek Trail and followed it across to the slot canyon that holds Deer Creek and feeds the falls. The hike across was very hot and dry. We followed the slot canyon down and then circumvented the falls in the climb down to the river. The Falls were beautiful and refreshing. The river guides had dropped us off for the hike so they could go meet their girlfriends/wives who had hiked down to the river at a more remote location - thus giving themselves some "private" time. This is my recollection 23 years later.