For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Three Sisters Summit [CLOSED] is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from November until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.9 mi Elevation gain 2,503 ft Route type Out & Back

Closed

No shade

Description
Waypoints (2)

Closed as of July 2. Wildfires have burned more than 224,500 acres and there is ongoing, extreme fire danger due to dry conditions and hot temperatures. As of June 04, 2020, users have reported that there are temporary closures in this area due to wildfires. Please consult the park's website before visiting.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (137)
Photos (835)
Recordings (111)
Completed (282)
Kyll Op.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

great trail but almost no shade at all after the initial canyon. Verry rewarding. I really took my time so you can probably get up faster especially when it isn't so hot. now I'm considering going down via heiroglyphic trail and possibly having someone take me to my car.

View Kyll's Recording
FCOCEO .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
BugsNo shadeRockyScramble

Wife and I enjoyed the seclusion. We went early May on a Sunday afternoon and were the only ones in site the entire day. Lots and I mean lots of bugs...little Nats. Bring something to cover your ears and nose or they will constantly fly in them. Hike was difficult the first 3/4 of the way in. We are avid hikers in good shape and we needed several breaks going in. Amazing views. Fun Hike. The last 1/4 of the trail is not marked well at all. Look closely for the Carins.

Logan Whitfill
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 4, 2020

Closed due to wildfires on 6-2

Dakota McNierney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 10, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeRockyScramble

Pleasantly surprised by this hike! I consider myself pretty in shape but not going to lie the first 1.3 miles was rough, I think it was more difficult because of the massive amount of bugs swarming my face lol never experienced so many bugs on an AZ trail before but they were OUT so bring bug spray! Once you get past the first mile or so, it’s more smooth sailing but I would definitely make sure to bring adequate water, myself and some people I met along the way both ran out of water before making it down! Views at the top were great though and a pretty isolated trail, if it wasn’t for the bugs I would give it 5 stars!

Janeth Jc
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 20, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

wow this was truly an EPIC trail!! I love a challenge so I am always looking for nice challenging hikes and like everyone else I try to do a little research before I go out to the trail ( though I find that even with all the planning u just never know what u will face and that's ok is part of the adventure!) well we decided to do this trail I " kind of " knew what I was getting into base on the reviews .... I am used to walking /hiking long distances so I figured 7 miles no big deal 2 miles in I couldn't wait to get to the top!!! is a leg work out from the get go! so yes agree with others if ur don't hike much try other hikes before u take on the "sisters" it is WORTH IT!!! though... IS now one of top favorite hikes ! make sure u do bring enough water !!! first time we actually drink ALL THE WATER THAT WE TOOK bring good shoes!!! my feet started to hurt on the way down because of the lose rock u must be very careful I could feel every rock ( next time won't be using this hiking shoes on this trail ) overall it was an awesome hike oh and I feel as when I walk/hike 14 miles but only did 8!! I don't even want to get up to use the restroom so u get the idea ... have a nice hike

Ashley Ledger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
HikingRockyScramble
Kevin Alavian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 14, 2020
HikingRocky

Amazing rugged trail. Narrow rocky path cuts through Wild flowers and cacti and rewards you with many cool sights. The summit is incredibly beautiful and peaceful. It is not very well marked. GPS from AllTrails came in handy a couple of times.

mark kirk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 12, 2020

An absolutely incredible hike. I did it in 4 hours and 20 minutes with my German Shorthaired Pointer. I would only recommend this hike for athletic dogs that hike. Smaller dogs will need to be carried on many spots. The views at the top are insane! A tough hike but worth it.

Joe Lyle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 11, 2020
HikingRocky
View Joe's Recording
Erika Martens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 10, 2020
HikingRockyScramble
View Erika's Recording
Kellie Cooney
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grownRockyScramble

awesome hike! took 4.5 hrs up and 2.25 hrs down. we stopped multiple times on the way up to take photos. 43 min/mile. 7.2 miles total if you go up to the summit. bring plenty of water and snacks for the trip. the last 1/4 mile is the roughest spot. definitely put this on the top of your list to do!!

View Kellie's Recording
Sharon Hughes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 9, 2020
Hiking

Amazing, hard, beautiful hike! One of my favorites so far. A great workout and gorgeous views.

View Sharon's Recording
Ryan Hamic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 7, 2020

great payout, stunning viewz

View Ryan's Recording
Daniel Winkler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 4, 2020
HikingOver grown

Trail is slightly over grown and not exceptionally well marked. Have to mostly rely on rock totems as there are no signs.

View Daniel's Recording
Osman Cruz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 4, 2020
No shadeOver grownRocky

Hiked this Trail on 4/3/20. The is definitely ahead trail as the app rated it. Of all the hikes I've done, this is the first one I've actually stopped, sat down and ate my snack. I normally eat and drink while walking. I had to stop. I was feeling it on my calfs and thighs. It took me 2.5 hours to the top and 2 hour back. The first 20 minutes are easy. When you begin the incline, it gets steep on the spot and it remains steep until you get to the end of the first elevation gain. That part took me 1 hour. Then you get a little break once you hike down the canyon, but don't hike down that far down. The last part is another hike up and it's steep as well. Half way through this second hike up is where I took my break. Here is where I was feeling it as I said earlier. From the canyon to the summit, it took me about 1:10 or 20 minutes give or take. You will need WATER and gloves for sure. if I were you, I would bring pants for the overgrown sections where the thorns got stock on my pants quite a few times. I prefer long sleeves my self but you don't have to. Oh, you should have good hiking shoes. now after all that work. I agree with everyone's comments, the view is amazing. Seeing the detail on the the other sisters (formations) is cool because you have them so close to enjoying them. I loved it so much that I am planning on going back in 3 or 4 days. This time I'll take my drone to get those detail up close. It isn't an easy hike, but what you get at the end it worth it.