Learn more

Thompson Peak is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fountain Hills, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 9.5 mi Elevation gain 2,066 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (252)
Recordings (41)
Completed (318)
Sammy Hernandez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2020
BugsClosedNo shadeOff trail

this trail is hard!!! for the first several miles on dixie, it’s easy but once you branch off onto the actual thompson peak trail, it gets steep. there’s tons of gnats! once you’re at the top with the radio towers, it’s amazing how far you hiked. beautiful views! probably took about 3 hours to get to the top

Sloane Pope
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 8, 2020
Hiking

When you first start this hike and you are trying to figure out which mountain you are trying to summit, just look for the one with all the radio towers on top. The top is small and with all that equipment up there it’s not as peaceful. The gnats are AWFUL right now. From the minute you get onto Thompson trail from Dixie you have them all over you. That made us more motivated to keep moving and not stop even on the steep parts haha. Definitely a good workout and some gorgeous views!

Ben Murchison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 3, 2020
HikingBugsNo shade

Maybe it was because I had a few drinks the night before and wasn’t as hydrated as I should have been, but this hike was killer. Started around 7:30, finished in a little over 3 hours despite struggling mightily to drag myself up one of the steeper inclines I’ve ever encountered. Rarely any shade, and I don’t know if it’s always like this but there were a ton of gnats as well. Views would be worth it on a day I was at my best but today I was happy to survive. Honestly felt tougher than Flat Iron with the constant sun. Once is enough.

Brie E
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
Hiking

Did this hike today (4/18) for the first time and it was beautiful! The first two thirds are easy while the last third up is steep and quite the workout! Round trip from the neighborhood gate to the top was 9.45 miles and took 2 hours and 45 minutes.

John Kelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 15, 2020
HikingNo shade

I have stared up at those towers for 15 years. Today(April 15) I started at the parking lot outside the gated community to the Dixie Mine trail. It is close to a .75 mile walk to the trail and I clocked 9.5 miles going Dixie Mine to Thompson peak trail. Dixie mine was in full bloom and some the most gorgeous wild flowers I have seen in years. Once you hit the Thompson peak trail the beauty disappears and is replaced with a death march to the top. I took my time and was determined to reach the top. The views at the top are spectacular. I saw one other person heading up as I was going down. I zigzaged on the concrete path on the down as the incline is a killer. I strongly recommend hiking poles to take some pressure off your knees and quads. Total time: 4hrs. Similar to other reviews, I am glad I did it, don’t need to do this one again.

Casey Peterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 15, 2020
Hiking

Oh man this mountain is a beast!!! Took me 4.5 hours to get up and down via this trail. The first hour was easy difficulty. The next 45 minutes were about medium. Then the rest is very difficult. The top is paved, which is nice for safety from rattlesnakes. I only saw one other hiker on this trail. Ladies I do recommend bringing some toilet paper and knowing how to squat in a bush, because we have to drink plenty of water and there’s no bathrooms.

marysol green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 11, 2020
HikingFee

awesome trail and kick butt hike! steep incline near the end.. majestic views!

Osman Cruz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 11, 2020
No shade

You park at the gate of a residential neighborhood. There isn't enough parking space, maybe for 20 cars. You follow the Dixie trail head until you have to take a left to go to the Thompson peak. From that point on, that is where the incline begins without switch backs. It is all up all the way. It get really steep once you get to the paved road on the trail. That works you out like crazy. Then you get back to dirt road for a good while. Then you hit another pave road. That is the last section before you get to the top. That incline will take all the energy you have. I would say that is a 30% incline. It was rough for me. From the car to the top I did it in 2 hours. On the way back, I jogged the areas I could and made it back to the car in 1 hour.

Jacob Layfield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 9, 2020
Hiking

Very cool trail and easy to navigate! That last bit up the top is pretty tough but harder coming down in terms of leg strength. There were three rattlesnakes on the trail, so be careful!

Ronald Catague
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 12, 2020
Hiking

I completed this solo in 3 hours on 3/8/20 and I'm still feeling the effects of this quad hip calf and knee burner... Very steep up the road trail to the top wear good grippy shoes!

Brian Edwards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 1, 2020
Hiking

We started at the beginning of the Dixie Mine Road. Went to the top of Thompson Peak. Definitely a challenging hike but really enjoyable now that we are done!!

View Brian's Recording
Thomas Lee
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 19, 2020

Awesome hike, quad burner as no switch backs, basically straight up but when at the top the views are spectacular! Great work out.

Jorge lerma
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 19, 2020

I started recording half a mile late so in total I did 7.5 miles am missing 2 miles lol. Not as hard as flat iron

Ernest Paddock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 6, 2020
Mountain biking

Tried to ride my mountain bike up this to catch the sunset. I was not prepared for how steep the road is! Even on concrete I couldn’t keep the front tire down and I had to hike a bike up the really steep parts! Oh but the view at the top! So worth it! The ride down is another story! It’s so freaking steep and long that I pulled over to let my brakes cool down a couple times. I was legitimately concerned they would fade and I would have a runaway bike down that insanely steep grade! The scenery out there it’s gorgeous! To be in the McDowells as the sun is setting was so serene and beautiful!

Guy Aaron Counselman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 6, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

The first part of this hike you have to walk through a residential area kind of lame. The middle part is very beautiful not very challenging but the last part might be the hardest hiking I’ve ever done in my life. Especially when i committed myself to not stopping. Which I am very proud to say that I did not stop the last mile and a half. :-) experienced hikers I would allow four hours for this hike if not experienced all day. Was a good hike not great definitely a good hike for training for the Grand Canyon or just a big hike. Happy trails GAC

View Guy Aaron 's Recording
Amy Van Hoveln
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 17, 2019
Hiking

We hiked this trail on 12/15/2019 and loved it! Definitely challenging steep inclines - hamstring/flute/calf buster on the way up and knee/quad buster on the way down. Amazing views and great sense of accomplishment when complete! Made it to the top in 2 hours and finished the hike in 3.5 hours.

Anthony Ante
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 23, 2019
Hiking

Started @ 8am made it to the peak by 10. Def tough last mile to the peak! Concrete makes for good grip but tough on the limbs. Incredible views up top buy windy today.

K B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 26, 2019
HikingNo shade

Gateway trailhead to Thompson peak and back. Approximately 13.5 miles round trip included Bell pass twice. I’m 58 and walk weekly on Sonoran trails. This was my last trail left on my list. The descent totally spent my legs and they never recovered for the remainder of the hike. Made for a long day. I don’t know how Tom Thumb is rated harder than this trail as I’ve routinely walked Thumb with no fatigue. Glad I got this off my list. Won’t do it again. Great views and sense of accomplishment when I drive around Scottsdale and look up at them.

Dan Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 28, 2019
Hiking

Great hike. Nice and steep at the end! Somewhat challenging There is a fee to enter the park at this end. No one is checking , bring cash. When the trail goes to a road take a left to head toward Thompson Peak. I did this in 90degree weather and drank 1500 ml of water.

Seth G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2019
HikingNo shade

The fist 3 miles are a nice hike, then you hike 1.5 miles straight uphill. Part of it is trail and part poor pavement. It’s a great workout and there is cool scenery in the valleys, especially to the east.

Mark OPEKA
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2019
Hiking

A real burner in the last 1 1/2 miles! Did for Grand Canyon prep.

View Mark's Recording
Ben Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2019
Hiking

Did this trail today 7/5/19. The first part of the trail is easy, until you hit the road heading up. Once you get to the first paved segment on the way up it's a workout. Great view at the top, didn't see one person either way. The trek back down was a workout too. Once I got back to flat ground I have to admit my legs were done. Pushed through to the end and if you can do it, you will feel a sense of accomplishment. Will I do it again....not for a while.lol

Elizabeth Plata
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 29, 2019
HikingNo shadeRocky

Good practice before GC hike but have to say I got hot even at 730am. Bring lots of water and trekking poles as they helped for part of the way. Not crowded at all. Ran into mountain bikers mostly.

View Elizabeth's Recording
Austin Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2019