Thompsons Peak

Thompsons Peak is a 9.5 mile out and back trail located near Fountain Hills, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Tough climb, especially at the very top. The beginning isn't bad; quite flat. However, this part when coming back seems extensively long. Very few people on the trail (I hiked for 3 hours and saw about 8 groups of people) and there is nice scenery.

The first part of this hike is through a gated community and then you work your way through the relatively flat Dixie Mine Trail. There were plenty of wild flowers blooming along the way that provided many views. The Thompson Peak Road is easy at first but the last half is very challenging. The steepness is very tough but the view at the top is pretty but polluted.

The first part through the gated development is too bad. The trail is a great leg workout, as noted by others, with a good but pollution hazed view.

Not sure how this is a moderate trail. Yes the first couple of miles are easy but easily the last 1.5 miles are an ass kicker! When you get to the top you will feel great because you earned that summit! Not a lot of foot traffic, make sure you take lots water.

Great trail with some serious steep incline hiking the last mile. Take plenty of water and take your time. The effort is worth the view!

I went on 1 Feb 17 and I saw three people total on the trail. Great trail to challenge yourself on!

One of the best leg workout hikes in the greater Phoenix area. If you're able to handle 40-50 degree grades to the summit, the hike to Thompson Peak is for you!

Not my favorite hike, but I'm glad I did it! I wanted to cross this one off the list as well as train for harder hikes I want to do. Parking on a weekend at the trailhead was problematic, but not terrible. You walk a bit through a neighborhood to the actual trailhead. The Dixie Mine trail is very pretty; I didn't go to the mine, maybe another day. The road up to the top is not too scenic, and visibility was horrible because of pollution. It gets very STEEEEP on parts of the road, make sure your lungs are in good shape. Making it to the top was quite an achievement for me; one of the hardest hikes I have done. I didn't stay up there too long, the radiation signs scared me off. Anyway, I much prefer Sunrise or Tom's Thumb over this hike!

Great hike with beautiful views from the top. Strenuous. There are no switchbacks. You take a jeep trail to the top. Radio tower and helipad at the summit.

Great hike with excellent views from the top. Strenuous. There are no switchbacks. You take a jeep tail to the top. Radio tower and helipad at the summit.

Gets steep and challenging. Great views.

Definitely a bit strenuous towards the top and it is about .5 mile from the parking lot to the trailhead so total hike is probably about 8 miles. I didn't go past the RF radiation signs but good views near the top. The Dixon trail at the beginning is also real nice through dry creek beds.