Thompsons Peak

Thompsons Peak is a 9.5 mile out and back trail located near Fountain Hills, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

The first part through the gated development is too bad. The trail is a great leg workout, as noted by others, with a good but pollution hazed view.

Not sure how this is a moderate trail. Yes the first couple of miles are easy but easily the last 1.5 miles are an ass kicker! When you get to the top you will feel great because you earned that summit! Not a lot of foot traffic, make sure you take lots water.

Great trail with some serious steep incline hiking the last mile. Take plenty of water and take your time. The effort is worth the view!

I went on 1 Feb 17 and I saw three people total on the trail. Great trail to challenge yourself on!

One of the best leg workout hikes in the greater Phoenix area. If you're able to handle 40-50 degree grades to the summit, the hike to Thompson Peak is for you!

Not my favorite hike, but I'm glad I did it! I wanted to cross this one off the list as well as train for harder hikes I want to do. Parking on a weekend at the trailhead was problematic, but not terrible. You walk a bit through a neighborhood to the actual trailhead. The Dixie Mine trail is very pretty; I didn't go to the mine, maybe another day. The road up to the top is not too scenic, and visibility was horrible because of pollution. It gets very STEEEEP on parts of the road, make sure your lungs are in good shape. Making it to the top was quite an achievement for me; one of the hardest hikes I have done. I didn't stay up there too long, the radiation signs scared me off. Anyway, I much prefer Sunrise or Tom's Thumb over this hike!

Great hike with beautiful views from the top. Strenuous. There are no switchbacks. You take a jeep trail to the top. Radio tower and helipad at the summit.

Great hike with excellent views from the top. Strenuous. There are no switchbacks. You take a jeep tail to the top. Radio tower and helipad at the summit.

Gets steep and challenging. Great views.

Definitely a bit strenuous towards the top and it is about .5 mile from the parking lot to the trailhead so total hike is probably about 8 miles. I didn't go past the RF radiation signs but good views near the top. The Dixon trail at the beginning is also real nice through dry creek beds.

Iconic and difficult hike in Fountain Hills. This was my second time and one I would say should be done once a year and no more as it is an effort to get there and to hike it. Very doable, but is arduous in parts as the service road you travel after leaving the Dixie Mine trail feels like it has a 45 degree incline and you have to make your own switchbacks going up and down. Spectacular views and you are very proud of yourself when you make it to the top. This can also be accessed from the Gateway TH by way of Bell Pass and Prospector, but that's a long day hike

This is a great hike, especially for exercise and the views. I wish there weren't that ugly radio station at the top. Don't get too close; apparently you can get irradiated.

Did the Dixie Mine Trail to the Towers Trail (Thompson Peak Trail) to the summit of Thompson Peak. You start at the Golden Eagle Trailhead in Fountain Hills. The trailhead has bathrooms and water and is very well maintained. The start of the Dixie Mine Trail is also very well marked although you have to walk about a quarter mile through a gated neighborhood to reach it.

The first 3.5 miles are on the Dixie Mine Trail and it is quite beautiful. It's basically a hike through a desert landscape. You then turn off onto the Towers Trail (Thompson Peak Trail). The real fun begins about a mile into this trail where you begin to climb...and climb...and climb. About 2200 feet over about 1.5 miles. The trail is paved over the steepest ascents but unless you are in good physical condition, this isn't for the faint of heart. Reaching the summit feels like a real achievement and you are rewarded with one of the best views in the entire Valley of the Sun (at least that I've seen). Going down, while much faster, is also challenging. You really need good hiking shoes with grippy soles to ensure a safe and entertaining descent.

Our entire hike took about 4.5 hours but, as usual, the first three were going up.