Templeton Trail

Templeton Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from the Cathedral Rock Trail for .3 miles from its trailhead off Back O'Beyond Road: To get to the Cthedral Rock Trail from the junction of Routes 89A and 179, take 179 south 3.5 miles to Back-O'Beyond Road on the right. Go .6 miles to the trailhead parking turnout on the left.

Freakin awesome hike for kids and families
We started at the cathedral rock parking lot and cut off a lot of the initial mileage of the hike
But the oasis we found at the end point (oak creek) was so fun and relaxing - highly recommend

Pretty scenery. Did phone trail to Templeton then made our way up cathedral . No creek today ! It was dry . Overall good hike !

We started mid morning on this long day hike at the Little Horse Trailhead then on to HT trail. We passed under the HT trail bridge and continued west on Templeton Trail, enjoying my favorite panoramas in this area. We took a break at the Cathedral Rock trailhead and due to my friend’s knee limitations we were only able to get as far to the start of crevice” climb on the Cathedral Rock scramble. Going back down Cathedral Rock looked like hikers were surfing on “waves” of red rock.
We continued west on Templeton and took a snack break by the large tree at Oak Creek. Ambitiously, we decided to add the Baldwin Loop to our day long hike. We sensed a vortex behind Cathedral Rock, just before the Hiline trail marker. We continued clockwise loop, exploring the rock saddles on the south end and making up names, like “midget Easter island men” and the “happy Buddha face” for rock formations above. We sensed another energy vortex by the Oak Creek heading upstream near the little rapids along the sandy trail.
Climbing the switchbacks on Templeton trail then back down to the Cathedral Rock trailhead challenged our endurance. We welcomed the cooler forest and easy paths of Easy Breezy trail as we continued to hike in the late afternoon then quickened the pace on to HT trail. Finally, after about 5.5 hours and almost 9.5 scenic miles, our aching bodies arrived at the Little Horse trailhead!!
Park pass fee. One outhouse at the trailhead.
Note: Big thanks to the US forest service taking care of the trails

This is a nice long day, easy hiking trail starting at the Courthouse Vista parking lot to the end at the trail marker at Baldwin Trail. There are mostly MTBs and some hikers. The views are different beautiful terrains from tree lined trailsides, open prairies, red rock buttes, rocky switchbacks down to the sandy paths with aspens and rushing waters by Oak Creek. Take the time to linger at the views and listen to nature.
Templeton trail also intersects many other fun trails including the climb to Cathedral Rock, Easy Breezy and Slim Shady. I challenged myself to hike this one from end to end then will explore the other ones on another day. Everyone, bikers or hikers, were very pleasant throughout this trek.
Park pass fee. Outhouse at Courthouse Vista parking lot, near the exit.

started at phone trail to Templeton trail to back side of cathedral rock to the stream. Then back Templeton trail to Easy breezy trail to Templeton trail to phone trail. 7.4 miles round trip.

Picked up the Templeton trail from the Phone trail at the Bell Rock parking lot. It was super easy - more like a stroll than anything, with lots of tree cover, some wild flowers, and many gecko friends! Didn't make it to the creek due to time constraints but would totally hike again, and would try and hike the whole thing sometime! This would be a great family hike.

Nice and relaxing walk.

Hike the waters edge with plenty of shade and breathtaking scenery. Phenomenal family hike. Lots of traffic...

I like how it goes by the river! The trail is not anything special though

This was the best hike I went on the entire week I was here. It has everything. The views are incredible. If you follow the directions for parking, the trail starts near the road to the right. You follow a dried up creek until you get to the first underpass marked with Templeton Trail. I loved this entire trail. In the beginning you are close to the road and hear the noise of the cars, but as you get further in it gets quiet. There were bikers but they always said something to notify me they were coming, if i didn't notice first. Everyone was friendly and there weren't many people on the trail. I highly recommend this trail. I didn't see a water-filled creek I think because I followed the trail by the app.

This is a beautiful hike! Starting at the head of Phone trail, you can connect to Templeton. It is 7.9 total miles to got it out and have. Go all the way past Cathedral Rock, you go down a hillside into a forest that runs along a creek. The water in the creek is cool and clear and makes for a great rest stop during the hike. Highly recommended hike, we will certainly hike it again!

Sunday, April 16, 2017

This is one of my all-time favorite hikes in Sedona. I did the few miles to the West of Cathedral Rock the first time. You get rewarded at the end by a nice walk along a beautiful creek Yesterday we did the whole thing. I misread the map and we started from Bell Rock Parking so the walk was 11.5 miles round trip I am pretty sure that if you start at the Courthouse Butte Parking it will still be more than 7.5 as you have to take either the Phone Trail or the Bell Rock trail to get to where the Templeton starts. Otherwise the scenery is wonderful and the terrain is fun. It is not an easy hike but we loved it, other than the additional 4 miles that was not planned for...

Sunday, April 16, 2017

A good hike, with the reward of Oak Creek along the way. We did this hike after Cathedral Rock- Took a left at the bottom of Cathedral Rock Trail and enjoyed a ~2 mile hike in the late morning. The somewhat shady hike down low and therefore refreshingly cool. You may share the trail with mountain bikers, so listen for the behind you and step aside as the pass. On the climb back up from Oak Creek, getting behind them is slow, as at points, they need to carry their bikes- they may let you by. Tip- dip your feet in Oak Creek and enjoy the sound the water and birds chirping.

Monday, January 09, 2017

Nice easy scenic family trail. My 2 & 8 year old had a blast.

Friday, November 18, 2016

beautiful. spectacular views. good for running.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

busy and boring

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Really easy trail that can be done with the entire family!

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Enjoyable hike, very similar to other hikes in Sedona. As busy as Bell Rock is Templeton is not, very low amount of people and the trail is in great condition.

Friday, March 11, 2016

This trail can be combined with a handful of other trails to create a beautiful loop around Cathedral Rock. All trails in this area leave from Yavapai Vista and are well marked throughout each trail and at every intersection. There is no wrong way to hike this! Make it into something you want, just watch out for mountain bikers coming around blind corners!

Thursday, March 10, 2016

We started at Yavapi Vista trail head with the goal of getting to Cathedral Rock. This was a beautiful hike, cathedral rock started out way in the distance and we kept watching it get closer and closer. We eventually ended up there and the view was breathtaking! We didn't go all the way to the other end of templeton where it starts at Baldwin, but the few miles we were on it were awesome! It could have been marked better, we got confused a few times.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Awesome hike with my 2 dogs & fiancee. Walk to the creek for sure. Picturesque views all over from cathedral rock. Panoramic shots rock. Fav hike ever!

Monday, June 08, 2015

It was a fairly easy hike that was flat most of the time with some incline occasionally , but nothing overly hard. The views were great and after 30 minutes there was a good amount of shade by the trees. If you fish, it does go over a creek that had great flow when we did the hike.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Neat views of Cathedral Rock.

Friday, November 23, 2012

After hiking the Bell Rock Path I turned onto the Templeton Trail. It passes under Route 179 by way of two tunnels and continues to Cathedral Rock Trail. The trail goes though a diverse vegetation area and follows a ridge at the base of several red rock formations. Offers great views of the Bell Rock/Courthouse Butte Skyline to the southeast and Cathedral Rock to the Northwest. Ran into a small group of mountain bikers and a couple of hikers during my trek.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Templeton is the other part of the Cathedral Rock trail. It's a nice trail, with some nice views, but in my opinion, doesn't hold up to the view of the Cathedral Rock trail. It's a fairly easy trail, but I have to admit that I did get lost. I'm still not really sure how that happened, but I ended up off trail, having to climb over fences with my dog.