Sycamore Rim Trail

Sycamore Rim Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Williams, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Beautiful sights to see, however not recommended to do in the winter or after it rains/snows. It can be incredibly muddy or the trail can be flooded. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time as it is a long trail and, although it is not very steep, it can be difficult to navigate. The last mile or two of the trail is difficult to find, pay attention to the cairns. The waterfalls and scenery are breathtaking.

Awesome! Falls were dry but it was still beautiful and fun. :) The Pomeroy Tanks were gorgeous, walk further back to see water lilies and frogs.

Pretty strenuous hike and my husband and I are pretty avid hikers. Falls were dry which didn’t make the 11.5 mile hike worth it.

Realy nice place
But i was lost on trail
I think you have to gate a gps to do it

Me and a friend finished this trail in 5 hours and some few minutes **brushes shoulder off ** which includes getting lost on a few falsely appearing right paths that actually ended up leading to nothing and having to turn back. I ended up at 12 miles total. When hitting double tanks, we saw an interesting character who asked us if we saw the big waterfall and we hadn’t reach that point, so she led us clear across the forest off path straight to sycamore falls (we were convinced she was some forest dweller or extraterrestrial) however she took us to sycamore falls and then she disappeared. We could have easily missed the falls because it’s not actually a destination on this trail; one must cross over a rocky river bed to sycamore falls trail and take the trail to the tank so plan your visit accordingly. Thank you forest lady!

I must say whoever the younin’ is that threw the soccer ball into the tank at sycamore falls...why bro!!!!???? I also recon to download the trail so ya don’t get lost; I downloaded it and still got lost. The water was frozen and started to melt and it was so beautiful. The forest..beautiful. The rocks...beautiful. Loved the part where the trail follows into pomeroy tanks. Didn’t see Bigfoot like I had hoped but I was overly satisfied with this trail and can’t wait to go back.

Did this hike in November and I may have missed the fall colors but the temperature was perfect and the hike was still amazing.

One of the best best hikes I’ve done in the state. The whole trial took me 5.5 hours. I spent a lot of time at the Vista overlook. It’s a very flat hike for most of the time. Very easy overall. I only lost the trail at the very end of trail after KA Hill. But it was easy to find again. Make sure and do the loop clockwise. The trailhead directions on this app were Vital.

A few sections are tricky. The trail can sometimes be hard to find, and it’s very rocky. Still, the view is absolutely worth it, though you may just want to take the Vista Point trail to quickly reach it.

Beautiful trail, lots of wildlife. As with other reviews, I lost the trail in a few spots in the last 2 miles and had to backtrack. The trail area near the tanks has a number of different offshoots. If you find yourself thinking you have to climb a rock wall, backtrack a little to look for the trail out. I showed 13.6 miles on my fitbit. Although the trail is relatively flat, the last part of the trail is uphill. Remember the sunscreen, as a good part of it is open to intense sun on the rim.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Not a terribly hard hike. Good view from multiple locations on the hike.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Falls were dried up

Thursday, April 27, 2017

I'm going to be honest I was disappointed in this trail. The waterfall wasn't flowing and the pools were ok to look at. The Canyon is nice scenery but we were expecting more. Not much to see for most of the hike. The trail is very flat and hard to follow. Look for the rock piles! We did the whole loop and it was probably about 13.5-14 miles and took us about 7 hours (we stopped and ate lunch).

Friday, April 14, 2017

Trail is nice.. easy to follow.. not much to see.. can run the whole thing.. I got a total of 19km (11.8miles)

Monday, April 10, 2017

nice variation of sites

Sunday, April 09, 2017

This trail is great for running since it is mostly level. Lots of smaller turn-off trails to get to view points could get you off track. If you stop seeing cairns you should retrace your steps to find it again. The weather was variable in early spring. Snow drizzle in the morning turned into sunshine with clouds in the afternoon. It made for a fun and beautiful adventure.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

This trail is awesome. It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people rate this low because of the bugs, or getting dirty or wet. like your Hiking, what do you expect? yes you have to cross streams during monsoon season, yes it's heavily forested, yes, there are some deforestation which is a shame. but people are taking away what the natural beauty of this place has to offer.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Beautiful sights to see, however not recommended to do in the winter or after it rains/snows. It was incredibly muddy and the trail was flooded. We ended up having to cross a lot of streams/rivers and makeshift some bridges to get across and stay on the trail, but it may have just been flooded from all the snow melting and it raining before we went. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time as it is a long trail. The last mile or two of the trail is difficult to find, which we ended up getting slightly lost in the dark and had to truck through some logging land (also very muddy).

However, the waterfalls and scenery was breathtaking and I'd absolutely go again in the dryer months. Definitely recommend going.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

The loop trail is actually 13 miles from my recording.
A lot of deforestation near the KA Hill. So it is hard to find the trail unless you use All Trails App and follow others recordings to get through that part of the trail.
Once you get to the KA Hill. You get an excellent view of Mt. Humphreys Mountain.
After that hiking to the south side of trail where Sycamore Vista is at. The view is absolutely beautiful.

Monday, November 07, 2016

although rim walk and natural tanks and falls are nice on S side of trail, much of the rest is walking in monotonous third cut forest . warning: near kv hill you lose the trail due to bulldozing work, annoying!!

Friday, October 14, 2016

Hiked from Pomeroy Tanks to Sycamore Vista and back. Views at the falls were beautiful. The trail itself is pretty easy, however it does become hard to find in a few areas. Look for stacked rock piles and trail markers on the trees to find the way. Roads to the trailhead(s) are well maintained and marked.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Very nice hike - as others have mentioned, plenty of things to see and enjoy. Note: The Overland Trail is not as well marked as other foot trails I have hiked.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

This hike was incredibly easy with lots of sites to see and many beautiful areas to take pictures at. Along the waterfall I've seen many people scale the walls and now I think I'd really like to try rock climbing my next trip up there.
It has perfect hiking weather do to the elevation which makes it 10x nicer in such a hot summer!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Easy hike with gorgeous views

Sunday, April 17, 2016

It was a pretty decent hike. Easy for us to complete. We had to hurry because of looming weather, overall though I enjoyed the scenery and of course the pleasant weather of Williams Arizona.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

The rim trail is actually about 15 miles, we tracked it. We did the full loop trail from start to finish. We started at Dow Spring and made our way to KA Hill and then the Pomeroy Tanks and so on. Trail thoroughly marked at the beginning but once we got to the Pomeroy Tanks the trail was very difficult to follow. The water was very low, but we still had to cross several times throughout the whole entire trail. Luckily since the water was low, we did not get our shoes wet, but if it was any higher we would have. With that being said the Sycamore Falls was also bone dry, still beautiful and worth the visit but just take note. If the falls was flowing rapidly you would for sure get wet on this hike.

When the trail gets difficult to follow we just had to really keep our eyes out for the piles of rocks, but even those were difficult to find at times. The trail is overall moderate, with parts that are very easy but also parts that are more difficult. The hardest part for us was the length. If you do choose to bring children on this hike be prepared to have to carry them at parts, because of the water. We also saw a couple having to carry their small dog over the water parts.

The trail at times is "boring". It is very beautiful and quiet but just nothing worth while seeing, just lots of trees that are blinding your scenic view.

If you do not want to do the full hike I would recommend maybe parking at the KA Hill and just heading straight to the Pomeroy Tanks and on to the Falls and Canyon view. we actually really loved the Tanks, it was a very beautiful view and in our opinion, very worth while.

Monday, March 03, 2014

Didn't complete the entire loop but Sycamore Falls is awesome.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Struggled to give this hike 3 stars since there was just to much going against it. Directions to the TH are easy, follow the forest service map. We choose the TH at
N35 09.597 W111 59.960. Use directions you can find at most sites on the 'Net and/or the Forest Service map.

The trail is well marked from travel. Our direction took us past all the points of interest you can read about on almost any site. The hike is easy and nearly level all the way to Pomeroy Tanks. The views along the canyon are great starting as a wide trench at the TH , expanding to a gorgeous canyon near the falls.

Traffic was moderate. You're never to far from a FS road, I-40 or housing. The "city" sounds are pervasive. There were a few hikers on this trail, a noisy group hike on the other side of the canyon that we left behind quickly, several rock climbers at the falls and a young family actually pulling tiny fish from Pomeroy on rod & reel.

The hike from Pomeroy back to the TH, up KA hill is an uninspiring hike through the woods. It would have been pleasant enough if it hadn't been for the mosquitoes! Not an exaggeration, we were unable to stop moving even for a quick lunch or water break for fear of being bitten sick. They were terrible! The only view beyond the canyon is KA Hill summit giving you a lackluster view of the SF Peaks, Garland Prairie and I-40. The bugs were so bad that we didn't even stop to take decent photos here.

We completed the nearly 12 mile loop (11.7 miles GPSr) right at 7 hours. Only once did we question the FS signs for directions. The climb up KA Hill is easy at 5.5% grade.

This is a unique trail that should be taken but not necessarily as a loop. If you choose our entry point, go to the falls, check out the climbers and return the same way. That would be nearly 14 miles RT but level and certainly scenic. Do not attempt this trail in heavy monsoon unless you intend to get very wet. You cross the creek several times.

It is difficult to rate a trail since most is in the eye of the hiker. It was a difficult day...the bugs, the distance, a novice with us, inability to stop and enjoy. The views along the canyon were great, wildflowers were everywhere and we certainly weren't stuck at home. It might be better to take this loop counter clock wise and put KA Hill behind you and spend more time taking in the canyon later on. Your call...enjoy, be careful and don't forget the DEET!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Nice long trail, we have biked and hiked this trail. Great views of the canyon, lots of different terrain to see. Easy to find route. Bring good shoes and the terrain is versitile.

recorded Sycamore Rim Loop