Superstition Ridgeline Trail

Superstition Ridgeline Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

This is a great challenge. I do this hike every year in January or February.

Wow, what a great hike! We started at 6am going up Siphon Draw to the Flatiron Summit and then across Ridgeline Tr to Peralta Rd. Going this direction kept us in the shade going up to Flatiron. While this hike isn't particularly long (12.2mi by my GPS), it is very difficult. You will get poked, scraped and jabbed often on this unmaintained, single track trail. Navigating this trail is pretty easy by following the cairns. It is beautiful, rugged and remote. We didn't see a single soul all day after we passed Flatiron. If you're looking for a true, tough AZ hike, this is it. Awesome!

My wife and I did this hike Saturday May 12th. Temps were to be a high of 88 in the valley which made it very nice up top at the 4900' level of the ridgeline trail. We ascended up Siphon Draw and exited out the trailhead on Peralta road. For the most part this trail was well marked to follow it through the rockey terrain where an actual path became less defined. We did get off trail a couple times and its easy to do so. If you don't see a rock cairn pile back track and get back on trail. Good news was that I had cell coverage (Verizon) the whole hike to get position data and reference my locations. GPS and/and or map location service is highly recommended. Just before we decended we got off trail pretty good and really was thankful that we could determine position to get get back on the trail.
Views were spectacular as we expected as we have been up Siphon Draw before and hiked Weavers Needle loop off Peralta trail. As for the difficulty its well deserving of an Expert rating. My wife and I both agree its more difficult than the Grand Canyon since the trail is not a nicely groomed path and this makes it tougher on your body.
As for time we left Lost Dutchman SP at 8:45a and made it to our parked car in the Lost Dutchman TH overflow parking lot at 8pm. Parking there added 0.7 miles at the end of the hike. getting offtrail likely added another 30 min to the journey too. I enjoyed the hike tremendously and caution that you be prepared for a physical challenge and take lots of pictures. We had a little more than 1 gallon each of water which seemed adequate. We rebuilt quite a few rock cairns markers which are necessary to stay on trail so remember to pay it forward for the next hiker behind you.

Experienced Hikers Only. Most of the trail is marked only by rock cairns. Have a hard copy of the map. Bring at least 4 liters of water and start as early as possible in the day. Expect 8-10 hours based on experience. Noticed that I had cell service throughout most of the day. Amazing trail with incredible views. Be safe!

Superstition Ridgeline Trail hike: How to describe this day hike...? Superlatives wouldn't convey the masochistic pleasure of the physical challenge. Chronicling the challenge would diminish the magnificence of this trail.

Respect to the real mountain climbers for whom this would be just another routine day. Very happy to have done it, but once is probably enough... unless a friend wants to try it and I happen to feel a bit sadistic.

Phone died five hours into the hike - and with it my AllTrails app. Total distance, end-to-end, with a short detour to Flatiron Summit (and a couple of wrong turns along the trail), came out to 20.4 Km, according to my Suunto watch.

A few pointers for first-timers: stay to the left, in the ravine, on the way up to Flatiron Summit. A few trails go off to the right but they lead nowhere. Be prepared for a long, arduous hike - and bring a lot of water. The hike isn't super long, but the elevation changes slow you down, especially on the way down to Carney Springs at the end of the hike.

Epic!

Completed this epic journey solo today from the Lost Goldmine parking lot going up through Carney Springs. Hit the south 5057’ summit in just under 3 hours, then hiked the ridgeline and made it to the north 5024’ summit in just over 6 hours. Went down from Flatiron through the Siphon Draw to the Mining Camp restaurant in just under 8 hours total. GPS clocked 12 miles and just over 4,500’ elevation gain due to the two detours to the summits.
Great hike and fantastic weather for this late in the spring! It was 39F when I parked at sunrise and never got over 80F. It’s almost April, right?

My husband and I did this 3/24 Amazing views yet brutal and long. cairns are everywhere which makes it easy to get off track. I wouldnt do this without gps. I tracked it closer to 15 miles from Flat Iron to Carney springs.

A group of 4 of us hiked the "Superstitions Death March" on March 1. The hike truly lived up to its name and was both spectacular and brutal at the same time. We started at Carney Springs and came down Flatiron. The views were spectacular and the trail well marked. Recommend a minimum of one gallon of water.

Hiked it Tuesday starting at Flatiron side with winds strong enough to push you around the whole way. This hike is challenging enough without deteriorating weather conditions but add hail, thunder and 50 degree temps at the 6 hour mark, and we got a recipe for disaster. It turned to rain all the way to the end and soaked us to the bone the last 3 hours. Chilled and worried, we trudged along, never panicked and followed the cairns to blessed safety of our awaiting vehicle at Carney Springs. Thank God for whoever laid out all those cairns!! Crazy and dangerous adventure but an awesome hike I’ll not soon forget!

Last week I accomplished this amazing journey... today I would like to do it again but today I shall journey Peak 5057 to Hieroglyphics and Carney Springs. Superstition Mountains are amazing and I am proud to of hiked the Ridgeline. Take a map class and don’t go off trail, we climbed up Flatiron and down Carney Springs. The views are amazing!!! Go when the weather is cool and take 5 liters of water....

Amazing views and it’s harder than the Grand Canyon. I rather hike the Grand Canyon and I am glad to of finished this trail. Off my bucket-list!!! I do respect the Superstition Mountains

One of the most beautiful trails in AZ. It offers the perfect blend of challenge and reward. Staying on the trail is difficult at times. Watch for cairns the whole way. We started Peralta side and finished down Flat Iron. A group of 5 of us ladies did it in 6 hours 43 mins. Garmin tracked 11.3 miles. We stopped midway for lunch and enjoyed the views. One of my top 5 all time hikes!

Hardest hike I’ve ever done, harder than rim to rim Grand Canyon, but totally worth it!! Up siphon draw to flat iron, all the way across, and down carney spring. My gps logged closer to 14 miles, very rugged miles. Lots of rock climbing, you will definitely want gloves, especially for the inevitable falls. The whole thing took me 8.5 hours.

Love to be on the top and this trail gives u miles of Mountain Top views. I am 54 it was a little challenging for me but feels great looking up from my backyard knowing that I walk all the way across with my wife. Be prepared bring backup battery for your phone most important map download your Trail no signal up there bring water headlight and so forth.

Super fun Super hard

Good one to..

Hardest hike I've ever done, but oh the views....!! Went up Flat Iron and came down Carney Springs in the dark. Take more water and food than you think you'll need - it's easy to lose the trail at different points. My legs were so fatigued on the way down - fell several times as a result. It was helpful doing the hike with someone who had been across the Ridgeline previously.

Thursday, September 07, 2017

We were not sure what to expect, started out on a fairly flat trail which turned into the best local hiking so far. Definitely need to be in good physical condition and well rested before attempting to reach the summit, but ok to get a ways up and enjoy the beautiful views

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Great, beutifull but you need to know the trail, be in shape, start early morning. If you dont know the trail, start early. Download d trail map. IT was a challenge for me but worthy.

Monday, May 08, 2017

It was a cool and unique hike. Pretty much a map of trails, I prefer more wood based hikes and this was pretty open with a lot of ground rocks. But still
Beautiful :)

Friday, March 24, 2017

Very challenging but beautiful views.u

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Great trail, best If you plan to set up a shuttle

Monday, March 13, 2017

I took the Siphon Draw trail (9p-12a), camped on Flat Iron (1a-4a), woke up and cooked breakfast and hiked just passed the way point (around La Barge, I think) as I was doing solo with 30 lbs of gear in training for a 4 day R2R2R. Ready? Check.
Fair Warning: Do Not attempt Ridgleline unprepared for things to go wrong and without good/great hiking shape. May be a little bushwacking on the way, but nothing bad.

Friday, February 03, 2017

Great views. Yes, you will be poked, stabbed, slapped but it is all worth the view at the top.
Start very early in the morning and you could enjoy sunset when you are coming down to the other end.
You need to arrange shuttle back to where you start. I recommend to start climbing to Flatiron from Siphon Draw Trail since it is tough climbing and you want to get it done while your energy is full in the morning.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Not an easy Trail to follow but will definitely do it again

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Tough hike with the ups and downs. Definitely worth it to see the Supes from another vantage.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

3 GPS units avg length was 13.5miles. Easier to start at Peralta and end at Siphon Draw. Little bit of bush wacking in beginning

Friday, February 05, 2016

Hard hike, but worth the great views.. Camping near base if you like to camp. if your scared of heights, probably not a good one for you. I have a bit of phobia, so coming down the steep parts was not the most fun.. Overall would like to do it again:) Recommend not going alone as its tougher and long. Easy to overheat.

Friday, January 01, 2016

It's was life changing :)