Learn more

Superstition Ridgeline Trail via Carney Springs Road

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(54)
Superstition Wilderness

Superstition Ridgeline Trail via Carney Springs Road is a 11.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from October until April.

Distance: 11.3 miles Elevation Gain: 4,429 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

This hike has lots of great views of the Superstition Mountains. This hike is not easy at all. You would need to have some type of map and know how to read it. The trail is easy to find but once you reach Carney Saddle it fades quickly. There are cairns along the way.

fee

This trail... wow! My wife and I probably took close to 11 hours to complete this whole trail, including times for an extended lunch and various scenic lookout opportunities (and we’re pretty avid, in shape hikers). It is very easy to get off course on this trail, be sure to follow the cairns. If I didn’t have the AllTrails app, I don’t know what we would have done! It saved us from going off course multiple times. This hike involved a lot of bouldering and climbing, which is exciting for me, but may be a deterrent to some people. Once we passed Flatiron, we maybe ran into 3 people the rest of the way (did this hike in March). My advice for this trail: 1. Bring lots of water. In March, I went through 5 liters and still ran out before reaching the end. 2. A hat and sunglasses are your best friend, as well as breathable long sleeve shirt and pants. It is very exposed at the top and shade is limited. There’s also plenty of overgrowth at times so pants help protect your legs from scratches. 3. Bring trekking poles if you have them. The ground coming down on the Peralta side is very slippery / loose gravel and we regret not bringing our poles, which could have saved us from a lot of blisters. 4. Keep the alltrails app running and don’t be afraid to pull it out to see if you’re going off course. It’s best to check every 1/4 - 1/2 mile just to ensure that you’re going the correct route. Ultimately this hike is a true test of Phoenix’s elite hiking community. If you can complete this trail in a day, you’ve earned a lot of respect, as it is not easy!

So my father and I attempted the siphon draw to Carney springs on may 10th with minimal planning and intentionally went off trail to try and get closer to town (no vehicle of our own), but we got cliffed in and had not enough fluids and had to call SSAR. Embarrassing, but very valuable learning experience. On the 24th we tried again this time from Carney Springs to Siphon Draw, and successfully conquered the Ridgeline in 10 1/2 hours or 12 if you count the detours to peak 5057, no name peak, and the flat iron. Very exhausting especially at the Siphon descent. Map usage was minimal having traversed most of the ridgline prior, though oddly enough we got lost for a bit unwittingly at waymark 4 on the flatiron map as the actual draw diverges from the trail, and we spent a mile plus hopping and climbing and sliding down boulders before realizing something was amiss and hopping across some boulders to the trail. There's minimal shade, and trail while sometimes scant was mostly straightforward since it's a ridge. Cairns are abundant and are very helpful, though a bit excessive in a few areas. Spectacular views all around, the whole valley plus the Four peaks, Lemnon, Picacho, Newman, and on the north ridge of the White Tanks one can see the imposing silhouette of Harquahala Mountain way out. We had 3 gallons each, but we were wittled down to a mere 1.5, and 2 liters and honestly would've ran out if we actually kept ourselves hydrated near the end. No snake encounters only big Ravens (crows?), a few hawks tussling one making that iconic scream and a vulture flying close overhead. Definitely a very very tough hike in the heat, and with the detours. Be cautious of loose dirt at Siphon Draw too, slipped a few times bruising my outer thigh, Overall an excellent hike with excellent views all around.

Probably one of the most beautiful trails I have ever done! The trek up is very intense and steep, the first incline is a lot of jumping from boulder to boulder! I would only recommend knowledgeable and I’m-shape hikers. It is a good challenge! Very strenuous. Once you get to the top, you get 360 degree views of the superstitions and beyond! It was mind blowing how beautiful it was!! It was windy at the top and actually snowed a little but on us, so be prepared with some warm clothes. Overall an incredible hike, if you are able, definitely go do it!!! @harris_hikers

Did this trail in reverse, started at Carney springs and ended down Siphon draw. Completed 13 miles in just under 7hr 45minutes. Stunning views along the ridge. Strong wind at times. Downed 4 liters if water but temp wasn't bad. Ocasional cloud cover provided much needed shade. Overall an awesome but difficult hike and my first one in Arizona.

I'm not sure where some of the comments were coming from -- the route finding was extremely easy in that there was no route finding, the trail was completely clear the entire time. Also no tough scrambling, areas where you couldn't easily avoid plants, etc. I am commenting on the entire traverse from Carney down to Lost Dutchman, altho I suppose this AllTrails route is going up to around the middle of the ridge then turning around (possibly a mistake?). Any reasonably well-paced hiker would complete this in 6 hours or less.

This is the first time this year for the ridge. A bit windy on top with 10 mph wind from north. All went went well.

We did Carney Springs to Superstition Mountain and back. I have been knocking out 12+ milers hikes in the interior of the superstitions with no problem, but ridgeline kicked my butt. Lots of steep up then down on the way back. Moderate route finding skills required. Keep a look out for cairns and w AllTrails you will be fine. The trail is the least obvious where it breaks off of Wave Cave. I was also confused by AllTrails calling Superstition Mountain LaBarge Mountain. The other hikers on the trail all referred to it as peak 5070 due to the elevation. The peak closer to Flat Iron is peak 5024- so I assume they are officially unnamed. My USGS map doesn’t show any either. More interior views towards the East than actual ridgeline views of Phoenix for this section. Great views from the summit of peak 5070 which is a spur off the main trail and requires about a 100 ft of some slightly exposed scrambling at the top.

Today, we entered via the Hieroglyphic Canyon Trail, and took the Ridgeline Trail east, and descended via Carney Springs Trail. We completed the loop by returning on the Lost Goldmine Trail. Perfect weather, amazing scenery, fantastic day!!

Knocked out the Flat iron via Siphon Draw over the Ridgeline and down Carney Springs Rd. Alot of rough terrain but some amazing views that most people will never see and a great workout. Make sure you start early in the morning. We got a bit of a late start and had to finish with headlamps but added to the adventure. By the way I lost my Garmin Forerunner at the trailhead if anyone happened to find it please give me a call. (six zero two) 367.4299.

I just love ridges. A little bit of steep slopes and lose rocks and mild scramble. Nice view

Mon May 27 2019

Hiked from trailhead to flatiron/syphon overlook and back with a detour up superstition peak. Runtastic said the total was 34km. Took 12 hours of hiking.. got lost a few times - but generally the cairns everywhere are really helpful. I started at 4;30am - just getting light and back to the car at 5:30pm. It was harder and slower than. I expected - the loose shale really slows you down. Took 7l of water - came back with 3 - max temp was below 80. It’s beautiful and so peaceful there - apart from at flatiron only saw 2 people whole day. In summary - was a great thing to do - beautiful and a huge sense of achievement. But doubt I will do it again - it is just a bit too hard and too long

Fri May 24 2019

Such a fun trail, so much to see and tons of variation. Definitely wouldn’t recommend to an inexperienced hiker, it was a challenging one. Lots of cactus, and tons of ups and downs. Took us about 10 hours to do the whole thing. So cool to see everything though.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Solid hike

Thu Oct 11 2018

sweet trail would do it again.

Thu Apr 05 2018

The route shown is to Superstition Mtn. Robber Roost is a right turn when you get to the saddle above Carney Spring. Then like in the youtube video you continue over to Fremont Saddle. This is a very tricky trail to follow until you get out of the small canyon that you follow off the saddle. Basic rule is all ways go right at a junction, except for the couple of times when you go left when you are on top.

Mon Jan 25 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVm4uA5tLbk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtwRrkU7-Pc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocok3Clb-44 This is three part video of Carney Springs to Saddle and Roost and then angling down to Fremont Saddle that I found on utube but did not make myself. Part 2 shows the actual ROOST at about 4 minutes into that video.Part 2 has views of in and out of roost. We got a dozen scouts in and out of their in 1980;s so this video was more recent reminder of how hard it was to FIND the actual boulder-pile-roost. The views were great all around that area of the mountain above the Peralta Trail. All day adventure.

Wed May 07 2014

This was my first time to Robbers Roost and I made some changes as we came out on Barks Upper Canyon. Which was a very little used trail but we found our way out. The weather could not have been any nicer. There was just so much to to see on this hike and I plan on doing this one again