Learn more

Superstition Ridgeline Trail [CLOSED] is a 10.7 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 10.7 mi Elevation gain 4,258 ft Route type Point to Point

No shade

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (0)

Closed as of July 2. Wildfires have burned more than 224,500 acres and there is ongoing, extreme fire danger due to dry conditions and hot temperatures.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (174)
Photos (2713)
Recordings (112)
Completed (444)
Alexander Almeida
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2020
No shadeRockyScramble

Well, we had to get rescued via chopper. First time ever at the supes and we violated the first rule of hiking and went off trail 7 miles in. Ended up going roughly 5-6 miles of descending, ascending, sliding and climbing through just completely rugged area. Extremely loose rocks and boulders, class 3 and 4 rock, a definite class 5 area going down. extreme bushwhacking, boulder jumping, just absolute stupidity. Also somebody had left cairns in the off trail area but there was no real trail down except extreme bushwhacking and boulder jumping and class 3 climbing and alternatively a class 3-4, and probably 5 again slide and climb down. Town was just a few miles away, but after doing so much of the Ridgeline and then the craziness offtrail already, it was too much. Excluding many many near death moments, excellent trail, Solidly difficult, amazing views of the four peaks and everything around like Mt Lemnon. trail pretty visible and straight forward, and marked by many cairns. very lush and green in the siphon draw valley area. The Ridgeline had the last laugh, but after the valuable lesson in route finding offtrail, and time and resource management I think we'll get it when it cools down.

Jesse Blair
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
Hiking

Did this in mid March, beautiful trail. Glad I went with someone who was familiar with the best route, I’m sure I would have been fine but being able to stay right on the ridge line was awesome. I took a quick jog up to the top of superstition peak as well. I didn’t find this particularly challenging, but I live at a much higher elevation and trail run regularly. Dropping into Carney springs wasn’t great, it was already getting over grown and pretty poor footing. When I do it again I will probably do it as a trail run and go from Siphon draw to the top of the springs and go back to Siphon draw.

Jeremy Ecton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2020
Hiking

Epic hike, I did this last year during a freak snow storm. Id like to do this again under normal conditions to compare. I recorded the hike in 4k - posted on my channel for reference: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoFCcB03vM-nepESoPJ4KvA

Kevin B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 7, 2020
Hiking

I did this in reverse from Carney Springs down to Lost Dutchman, as the AllTrails description starting from Carney Springs has the hike an out and back without the entire traverse (maybe a mistake?). I'm not sure where some of the comments are coming from as the trail was very clear with no need for any route finding or even referencing the map, and also no issues with plants/cacti/etc, altho I did get stung by a bee. This was comfortably done in 5.5 hours with a stop on top of Superstition Mountain, breaks for food/sunscreen/bee sting. Any reasonably fit hiker could do the entire thing in under 6 hours

Vince Fabro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 7, 2020
HikingOff trailScramble

Hiked easterly, from Lost Dutchman to Carney Springs. I hike Siphon Draw to Flat Iron (and all the surrounding peaks) almost every week, so have been planning to do the ridgeline for a long time. On the ridgeline I also hiked up to all the big peaks, and was thrilled to finally climb on top of La Barge peak, where I ate lunch. I left at 7 am and arrived in Carney at 1:45, so a 6:45 hike. When I arrived at the car I took the last sip from my 2nd hydration pack, so got very lucky with the water supply (5l). I was not happy with the Carney Springs end of the hike. The first 6 or 7 miles are awesome, but the last few are pretty steep downhill, with plenty of slipping, and poorly marked. I got off trail several times and had to use the app to find my way.

Kellie Cooney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 5, 2020
HikingOff trailScramble

this was an awesome, long hike today. we started at 800 am and finished at 545 pm. we took the ridgeline trail to the top of the mountain

View Kellie's Recording
Nick Napoda
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 28, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful! Challenging, but easier than expected based on the comments, we were able to complete it in 6 hours - although I would have preferred more time to soak up the epic views (your mileage may vary). We went up Carney, down Siphon Draw, and had no problems following the trail. It was a nice overcast day in the upper 60s, and I found I was over-prepared in terms of water and food. Just under 12 miles from car to car. Overall one of the best day hikes I've done. If you are not keen on the shuttle: Done separately, Hieroglyphic to Carney Springs can be looped with the Goldmine trail, and Hieroglyphic to Lost Dutchman could probably be Ubered.

View Nick's Recording
Hales Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 21, 2020
Hiking

Wow! Gorgeous hike! I did most of this trail at the beginning of Feb. I actually climbed from First Water road to Flatiron, connected to the Superstition Ridgeline, descended at Hieroglyphic Trail (this isn’t marked as a proper trail on maps—it’s a scree and rock scramble, but easy enough to follow if you have the AllTrails map to reference and I do not recommend ascending it!!) and connected a road to take Jacob’s Crosscut back to complete my loop. It was about a 20 mile loop. If I could do it again, I think I’d prefer to go out and back, doubling back on the ridge and going down Flatiron instead of making the loop. It was a spectacular day and the best part was my time on the ridge!

Tim B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 20, 2020
HikingOver grownScramble

Fantastic hike, amazing views and journey. Don't underestimate the difficulty of this hike, it's definitely the hardest hike in the Phoenix area. I recommend wearing pants to prevent the "pokey things" from bothering you.

Angela Howe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 26, 2020
HikingBlowdownNo shadeOff trailRockyScramble

To many cactus pokey things

View Angela's Recording
Andrew Ambrosia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 4, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

My daughter (19yrs old) and I (50 yrs old) took on this hike as a bucket list hike yesterday. We started up Siphon Draw / Flat iron, then connected to Ridgeline and then continued (forever) to the Carney Springs trail head. Very tough hike! Both of us had to push through our breaking points and keep on keeping on. Your pretty much committed and have to push through. Very much worth the trip, but I recommend you dont take it lightly and plan for a FULL DAY. We started at 6:30 am and didn't get done till 4:45pm with only short breaks to eat and hydrate.

Greg Jellum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 31, 2019
HikingRockyScramble

Outstanding hike. The scramble and other rock climbing aspects were both challenging and unique. Took 8 hours including lunch. Lost the trail a numbers of time but AllTrails easily got us back on track. Cool temperature with a north wind so layering was key: jackets came on and off depending on which side of the ridge we were on.

isaac baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 27, 2019

Gnarly stuff. A butt-kicker, but I love how quiet it gets after you pass the Flatiron. So many great little nooks and ridges to explore. Did the trail after a few days of rain, so it was wet with lots of cool washes and small falls. A beautiful solo hike experience.

Anthony Dominguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 15, 2019
Hiking

Did the Ridgeline down & back butt kicker indeed.

Julianne Stober
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 14, 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grownRockyScramble