Superstition Ridgeline Trail

Superstition Ridgeline Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

A group of 4 of us hiked the "Superstitions Death March" on March 1. The hike truly lived up to its name and was both spectacular and brutal at the same time. We started at Carney Springs and came down Flatiron. The views were spectacular and the trail well marked. Recommend a minimum of one gallon of water.

Hiked it Tuesday starting at Flatiron side with winds strong enough to push you around the whole way. This hike is challenging enough without deteriorating weather conditions but add hail, thunder and 50 degree temps at the 6 hour mark, and we got a recipe for disaster. It turned to rain all the way to the end and soaked us to the bone the last 3 hours. Chilled and worried, we trudged along, never panicked and followed the cairns to blessed safety of our awaiting vehicle at Carney Springs. Thank God for whoever laid out all those cairns!! Crazy and dangerous adventure but an awesome hike I’ll not soon forget!

Last week I accomplished this amazing journey... today I would like to do it again but today I shall journey Peak 5057 to Hieroglyphics and Carney Springs. Superstition Mountains are amazing and I am proud to of hiked the Ridgeline. Take a map class and don’t go off trail, we climbed up Flatiron and down Carney Springs. The views are amazing!!! Go when the weather is cool and take 5 liters of water....

Amazing views and it’s harder than the Grand Canyon. I rather hike the Grand Canyon and I am glad to of finished this trail. Off my bucket-list!!! I do respect the Superstition Mountains

One of the most beautiful trails in AZ. It offers the perfect blend of challenge and reward. Staying on the trail is difficult at times. Watch for cairns the whole way. We started Peralta side and finished down Flat Iron. A group of 5 of us ladies did it in 6 hours 43 mins. Garmin tracked 11.3 miles. We stopped midway for lunch and enjoyed the views. One of my top 5 all time hikes!

Hardest hike I’ve ever done, harder than rim to rim Grand Canyon, but totally worth it!! Up siphon draw to flat iron, all the way across, and down carney spring. My gps logged closer to 14 miles, very rugged miles. Lots of rock climbing, you will definitely want gloves, especially for the inevitable falls. The whole thing took me 8.5 hours.

Love to be on the top and this trail gives u miles of Mountain Top views. I am 54 it was a little challenging for me but feels great looking up from my backyard knowing that I walk all the way across with my wife. Be prepared bring backup battery for your phone most important map download your Trail no signal up there bring water headlight and so forth.

Super fun Super hard

Good one to..

Hardest hike I've ever done, but oh the views....!! Went up Flat Iron and came down Carney Springs in the dark. Take more water and food than you think you'll need - it's easy to lose the trail at different points. My legs were so fatigued on the way down - fell several times as a result. It was helpful doing the hike with someone who had been across the Ridgeline previously.

We were not sure what to expect, started out on a fairly flat trail which turned into the best local hiking so far. Definitely need to be in good physical condition and well rested before attempting to reach the summit, but ok to get a ways up and enjoy the beautiful views

Great, beutifull but you need to know the trail, be in shape, start early morning. If you dont know the trail, start early. Download d trail map. IT was a challenge for me but worthy.

It was a cool and unique hike. Pretty much a map of trails, I prefer more wood based hikes and this was pretty open with a lot of ground rocks. But still
Beautiful :)

Very challenging but beautiful views.u

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Great trail, best If you plan to set up a shuttle

Monday, March 13, 2017

I took the Siphon Draw trail (9p-12a), camped on Flat Iron (1a-4a), woke up and cooked breakfast and hiked just passed the way point (around La Barge, I think) as I was doing solo with 30 lbs of gear in training for a 4 day R2R2R. Ready? Check.
Fair Warning: Do Not attempt Ridgleline unprepared for things to go wrong and without good/great hiking shape. May be a little bushwacking on the way, but nothing bad.

Friday, February 03, 2017

Great views. Yes, you will be poked, stabbed, slapped but it is all worth the view at the top.
Start very early in the morning and you could enjoy sunset when you are coming down to the other end.
You need to arrange shuttle back to where you start. I recommend to start climbing to Flatiron from Siphon Draw Trail since it is tough climbing and you want to get it done while your energy is full in the morning.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Not an easy Trail to follow but will definitely do it again

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Tough hike with the ups and downs. Definitely worth it to see the Supes from another vantage.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

3 GPS units avg length was 13.5miles. Easier to start at Peralta and end at Siphon Draw. Little bit of bush wacking in beginning

Friday, February 05, 2016

Hard hike, but worth the great views.. Camping near base if you like to camp. if your scared of heights, probably not a good one for you. I have a bit of phobia, so coming down the steep parts was not the most fun.. Overall would like to do it again:) Recommend not going alone as its tougher and long. Easy to overheat.

Friday, January 01, 2016

It's was life changing :)

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Hiked this last weekend. We started at the Flat Iron, and ended at Carney Springs. Super difficult, but AMAZING! We missed a turn and just followed the cairns, but ended where we were supposed to, but had more mileage. We did the last 2 miles (straight down at Carney) in the dark. Thank goodness for headlamps and flash lights!

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A great hike with some amazing views. Left from Peralta and ended at Lost Dutchman Park. BEWARE though. This is a strenuous hike that will take longer if not in TOP HIKER SHAPE. Getting stuck on these paths, that at times can be lost even in daylight, becomes a nightmare if the sun goes down on you. I recommend camping one night near the top. Beautiful morning views and makes the hike much more enjoyable instead of trying to rush in and out for a 10-12hr hike. Would recommend just come prepared and make sure to bring plenty of water and supplies (we needed everything we brought).

Thursday, January 08, 2015

Completed hike alone and in about 9 1/2 hours. Much of Siphon Draw to Flat Iron were in the snow which made for some risky business. The ridgeline was full of spectacular views and as far as I could tell, I was the only soul on the ridgeline that day. I would suggest bringing more water than you think you'll need on this hike. The 3 and a half liters I brought didn't prove to be sufficient. A very fun hike. Oh, play it safe and bring a flashlight just in case you get caught up in taking too many photos like i did. You don't want to walk down this mtn in the dark.

Monday, November 24, 2014

THE hardest hike I have ever done. VERY difficult.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The first 1-2 miles are very misleading haha. It seems quite simple until mile three. The last half of this hike is quite difficult, but very much worth it once you reach the top. I would not recommend small children or dogs on this hike with you.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

It seems the other trip reports are for only the start of the hike. If you go from Lost Dutchman State Park up the Flatiron, you have hardly started this hike. The Ridgeline Trail goes from there to Superstition Peak and comes out at Carney Springs east near the Peralta Trailhead. So if hiking up the Flatiron is challenging for you, maybe it's better to forego the Ridgeline Trail. Even well conditioned hikers will need to hurry to make the trip in 8 hours. The constant ups and downs are tiring. By the way, it is possible to exit the Ridgeline Trail by using the Hieroglyphic Trail. See "Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness" by Carlson and Stewart.

Friday, October 04, 2013

This is a hard climb, need at least 5 liters of water. welll worth it. beautiful .

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Once you reach the mountain proper, one or two gentle miles out of the parking lot, it's pretty much straight up and straight back down again. Nice plateau at the top. Flatiron Peak is, well, flat on top, a welcome relief from the climb and soon to be descent. There is a higher point not much farther up that you should climb to get the best views. Then you know you're really up there, at small plane altitude. The Valley of the Sun is at your feet, but owing to the smog, you can't really see it in detail. Who cares? You're up there, and you got there on your own power.

Unless you're a total stud in great shape, you'll trash your legs on this one. It's worth it, however. Makes you feel good (especially once you're down).

As in all Arizona, seasons are important here. In summer, go early (4am early, no kidding) and bring more water than you think you'll need. Fall and spring are great. I've never done this in winter, but that might be the best time of all, other than in storms and snow, which you'll often get on the top.

This is two Camelbacks in elevation and effort, which makes it both a bit of a test and within the range of most people. Take it seriously, but do it. Great fun.