Sunset Trail to Brookbank Trail Loop

Sunset Trail to Brookbank Trail Loop is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive north from Flagstaff on US 180 to FR 420 (Schultz Pass Road). Drive east for 1 mile and, where FR 420 takes a hard left turn continue straight on FR 557 about 3 miles to the Brookbank trailhead.

One of my favorites in Flagstaff. Beautiful forest with amazing views of the mountains.

Great trail! Just beautiful all the way through. Squirrels, skunks, & a deer today. Not very many people (probably cause it was the day after a holiday).

I would definitely take a power bank with me for my phone next time. The lack of service & running the app to record my trip sucked my phone dead 1/2 way through!

Excellent trail. Just enough elevation.

The hike was great with wonderful views and wasn't too trafficked. Getting to this trail is fairly easy but you'll pass several trail head parking lots on the way up, the dirt road is in good condition.

Really this area is considered dry lake hills, but the trail is not called dry hills lake. Because it is a loop either follow this route or it in the opposite. I suggest also taking a photo of the map at the sunset trailhead

Start on sunset trail (just left of the trailhead signage) and continue to the brook bank trail (take a right at the sign about wildfires), if you go left instead it's a short out and back with decent views. Continue on brooksbank and you will pass a small pond just off the trail. Past the pond you will end up on an out of service forest road (unsigned) and will see signs for Schultz creek loop where you can finish the loop.

Be warned that there are many turn offs because of the trail system up there. There have also been an increase in bear sightings.

This was a great trail, a lot of different views, different types of trees, different topography, great views of the San Francisco peaks!!!

Monday, August 15, 2016

I did this hike with my husband and 1-year-old daughter in a pack this weekend. The drive to the trail included 5 miles down a dirt road. The road is fairly well maintained, and was not an issue with our very low sports sedan. As others have mentioned, the signage here is not good. Thankfully, I had the all trails app running which helped us when we got off track at the dry lakes. You start on the Schutz Pass trail, then when you get to the meadow you make a left. We ventured into the meadow and turned at the interpretive signage and cut back to the trail- I recommend doing this for the best views. Then follow the Brookbank trail to Sunset Trail.

The hike was very nice. Great views of mountains, forests and meadows and lots and lots of wildflowers in mid August when we hiked. There were one or two technical spots, but nothing I didn't feel comfortable doing with a baby on my back. The trail is also popular with bikers, so be cautious. What I enjoyed about this loop hike is that it wasn't just up and then down, there is some undulation which keeps things interesting.

All and all, a great hike, and highly recommended as a way to spend a few hours in the Flagstaff area.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Nice area but made some wrong turns as trails not marked at some forks. Turned out my 5.5 mile hike was closer to 8 miles.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Beautiful hike, great workout and the dogs had a blast. Played in the little watering hole. We'll be back