Sunset Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Lemmon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 387 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The descent through the tall pines was amazing but made for one heck of a climb out. Easy to follow, well travelled trail. Lots of trees! We enjoyed the shade. Watch out for the mountain bikers bombing down the hill!

We were aiming for the easy sunset trail and in my true fashion, we went on this trail. It was hard especially since it was our first trail as a family. Super pretty but it has narrow spots and can be rocky in spots. We did only 35 minutes in which was about 3/4 of a mile.

So I would agree that it's easy, although I wouldn't say the entire trail is easy. At least the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile is, however it gets to at least moderate with portions that we had to almost rock climb. Mind you, I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and my husband carries our almost 3 year old on a hiking backpack (about 40 pounds) so it was obviously a little more work for us. Aside from that, it's a beautiful hike! Between the views, the fresh breeze, the amazing pine smell, and the escape from Tucson heat, I'd definitely recommend this trail.

Easy hike through pine with a wonderful scent in the air. Ends at some nice falls. Still some snow up there on February 28th.

My wife and I hiked this trail today, I carried our 19 month old. It’s pretty easy but you need to bring a fair amount of water if you’re not used to the elevation. It was in the upper 40s when we started on the trail and though we didn’t sweat we consumed a fair amount of water. There were two tiny patches of ice but other than that, the trail was dry and easy-going. Originally we had planned to hike the Meadow Trail Loop around the summit but the road is closed above the ski hill. The trail follows dirt service road to some cabins for the first maybe third of a mile and then begins an actual hiking trail single track from there to the turn around. We didn’t know that you could keep going to another parking lot through the Gulch but we didn’t attempt that today not knowing how the elevation would impact us.

Great views. Some old snow pack that’s gotten icy in places.

A great walk in the forest. Just beautiful. The start of the trail is quite easy because you descend on the return you ascend so it’s adds a bit of heavy breathing, LOL. There are some parts where the trail is unclear had to pull out the GPS. Beautiful views. Completed November 3, 2019.

is there a lot of color changing leaves to see right now?

One of my favorite trails. Very few people. Tons of flowers...views and it’s a good workout!

This is not a difficult trail for someone with reasonable shoes and a little bit of familiarity with looking for trail markings. It’s short, with minimal elevation, and there are lovely views and features for the time. Kids will love coming to the water. But—there are small washouts and it is certainly no paved walkway by a reservoir. Worth noting for folks with ambulation issues.

Great short trail with terrific views. All Trails says 2.7 miles out and back, but I believe it's closer to 3.2 miles. Beginning of trail from parking lot should be more visible signage to avoid confusion to trailhead. There are too many dirt roads leading to cabins that make it confusing on which way to go. No big deal, we had an amazing time and took plenty of photos.

absolutely NOT an easy trail, especially on the way back.

Nice trail with a great ending.

Mon May 27 2019

Beautiful trail, lots of spots to take great pictures.. a couple of rough patches to get through, but relatively easy for the most part.

Tue May 14 2019

Very nice easy hike though some spots along the trail were tough to climb.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Decent trail...definitely in need of some maintenance in areas but a good workout and not too hard.

Mon Sep 24 2018

Short hike with great views. Very easy hike for beginners.

Wed Aug 08 2018

Great short hike with amazing views, wildflowers, and if you're lucky like I was, water flowing down in the Gulch. Part of the trail follows a dirt road with cabins so for a brief time I thought I was going the wrong way, but at the end of the road there was a trail sign pointing me in the right direction. Definitely one of my favorite hikes so far up on the mountain.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Very easy quick trail with really great views. Bring a camera!

Fri Mar 09 2018

Great short hike!

Tue Jan 16 2018

We just did this trail today in mid January with two dogs. It was a very nice walk for part of it then there were parts where you were kind of crawling up rocks and stuff. Going back there is definitely a noticeable incline as well. The trail ends at the Marshall Gulch picnic area at the very top of the mountain. All in all, very nice hike and I would do it again.